Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne question

Melbourne question

Old May 8th 2004, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

glhall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne question

I am about to apply for a job at Whittlesea City Council and Melton Shire Council. What are the areas like. OK or to be avoided? We want to live in a rural area. We plan to move sometime in July this year.
Graham
Old May 8th 2004, 5:31 am
Just Joined

kevbhoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Graham,

We arrived in Melbourne 5 weeks ago and checked out a lot of areas, but liked Melton as soon as we arrived. People very friendly and most facilities are here. We've been here for just over two weeks now and loving it, plenty of room for everybody and loads of great places to walk the dog. We went to Torquay last week and it was just over a hours drive from the house. Loads of national parks close by which we haven't seen yet.
The only problem is my commute to work via the train (I'm in South Yarra) has been 1 1/2 hours each way due to the tracks being relaid. I only started last week so am thinking of driving next week to see what it is like. Still, I would prefer the longer commute than living in the city.

Cheers

Kevin
Old May 8th 2004, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

glhall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kevbhoy
Hi Graham,

We arrived in Melbourne 5 weeks ago and checked out a lot of areas, but liked Melton as soon as we arrived. People very friendly and most facilities are here. We've been here for just over two weeks now and loving it, plenty of room for everybody and loads of great places to walk the dog. We went to Torquay last week and it was just over a hours drive from the house. Loads of national parks close by which we haven't seen yet.
The only problem is my commute to work via the train (I'm in South Yarra) has been 1 1/2 hours each way due to the tracks being relaid. I only started last week so am thinking of driving next week to see what it is like. Still, I would prefer the longer commute than living in the city.

Cheers

Kevin
Thanks Kevin. Hey hows the weather over there. My only reservation about coming to Melbourne is that there wont be enough fine weather. Do you know anything about whittlesea?

Cheers

Graham
Old May 8th 2004, 10:43 am
Just Joined

kevbhoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Graham,

We've not really been here long enough to say for sure, but definitely a lot better than Ireland (me) or Scotland (wife) in winter I'm sure. The locals have been telling us it doesn't get much worse than right now, and I'm walking about without a jacket (although this is forced - our stuff is in quarantine right now, hopefully we will get it early next week). Ideally we would prefer somewhere with more sunshine and warmer weather, but we love Melbourne so far and have no regrets at all. We are thinking maybe in a few years we could be in Queensland (because of the weather) but probably some of the guys who have been here longer could tell you better about Melbourne weather.
Sorry don't know anything about whittlesea.

Cheers

Kevin
Old May 8th 2004, 11:15 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

The weathers wiered, can be freezing in the morning and by luch time you need the AC on cos its red hot.

Definately better than UK autumn so far.

Don't know anything about the areas though, sorry.