Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne or Queensland

Melbourne or Queensland

Old Oct 1st 2006, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of
Default Melbourne or Queensland

Ok everyone, here's my dilema.
We had originally planned to settle in Melbourne. We have two young kids who are heavily into sports and thought Melbourne had everything to offer us as a family. We had also chosen Mentone as our place we would like to settle. We have also investigated the schools.
I have been signed up to seek.com.au since we set out on our visa application but even now that we have the visa, there has been very few jobs advertised that apply to myself and those that do, don't reply or say sorry no thanks.
We are due to arrive before Christmas '06 and up until now have not considered anywhere else since settling on Melbourne, however, a few days ago a job was advertised that ideally suits me but it isn't in Melbourne it's in Queensland, Rockhampton to be precise. Does anyone know of this area, schools, housing etc etc?
What would you do?
Old Oct 1st 2006, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Melbourne or Queensland

Originally Posted by simpy
We had originally planned to settle in Melbourne. We have two young kids who are heavily into sports and thought Melbourne had everything to offer us as a family. We had also chosen Mentone as our place we would like to settle. We have also investigated the schools.
I have been signed up to seek.com.au since we set out on our visa application but even now that we have the visa, there has been very few jobs advertised that apply to myself and those that do, don't reply or say sorry no thanks.
We are due to arrive before Christmas '06 and up until now have not considered anywhere else since settling on Melbourne, however, a few days ago a job was advertised that ideally suits me but it isn't in Melbourne it's in Queensland, Rockhampton to be precise. Does anyone know of this area, schools, housing etc etc?
What would you do?
Go for it nothing wrong with queensland and the weather is better, we are heading to brisbane after exmas , just waiting for house to sell and then we are off. house prices seem to be a lot cheaper too ,good sports and good schools there too. good luck in your decision.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 1:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

What would you do?
Just as a brief intro - Melbourne is very different from Rockhampton - Melbourne is much bigger, more cosompolitan, a lot more going on. Rocky is smaller, more isolated, weather hotter and more humid.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just as a brief intro - Melbourne is very different from Rockhampton - Melbourne is much bigger, more cosompolitan, a lot more going on. Rocky is smaller, more isolated, weather hotter and more humid.
Hmmm, that's what i thought. Don't really want to be too isolated, and the weather is a bit of a put off. Dont get me wrong I love it sunny and warm as i like to holiday in really hot places but wont like to work in it when it's like that all the time. Melbourne appealled to us initially as its seasonal and we thought that we would adjust to the move better because of that.
Had a long hard think about this over the last couple of days and just thought I would see what you guys thought as well. I think we will stick with Melbourne as we have researched it a hell of a lot, but like everyone says, it's different when you get there. Hope that the lack of job offers are due to us not being there yet, and its the agencies, not the companies knocking me back. If they are the same as agencies in the UK, the quicker they fill positions and the more they fill, the more money/bonuses they get, so it's no wonder they dont like to progress people from overseas who aren't actually moving for a couple of months.

Simpy
Old Oct 1st 2006, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Hope that the lack of job offers are due to us not being there yet, and its the agencies, not the companies knocking me back. If they are the same as agencies in the UK, the quicker they fill positions and the more they fill, the more money/bonuses they get, so it's no wonder they dont like to progress people from overseas who aren't actually moving for a couple of months.

Simpy
We love Melbourne and although I've never been to Mentone, my friend's moving there as she's fallen in love with it and with the private school there so she seconds your choice at any rate.

Only thing I'd say about job hunting in Victoria is that it does depend on your field. We know of a few people who've waited up to a year for the right job to come up including us.

Sorry to put a spanner in the works - it's just a warning it may not be as easy as you'd hope to find the right job once you're here but it's still pretty wonderful anyway.

Any chance you could take a job elsewhere temporarily in preparation for getting a job here later? I know it would be unsettling for the kids and it wouldn't be something I'd do but it may suit you?

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by flip
Any chance you could take a job elsewhere temporarily in preparation for getting a job here later? I know it would be unsettling for the kids and it wouldn't be something I'd do but it may suit you?

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Not exactly sure what you mean by this? Do you mean go for the job in Queensland, and if successful, migrate to there and then start applying for jobs in Melbourne?
In the UK i'm an Electrical Engineer working for a food manufacturer, I work with industrial electrics, fault finding, PLC's etc etc. I have had one telephone interview early on in my visa application and they were more than happy with my qualifications but they wanted to take over my visa to get me there quicker but I refused on the grounds that I wanted a Skilled Independant Visa so I could choose where I wanted to work and have the freedom of if I didn't like it I could move.
I have also had another emailed response from an agency that has told me toere will be no problem finding me a job in my line of work upon arrival, but until then I would have to wait.

Simpy.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 2:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If you search the forum for Rockhapmton it has come up a few times.
THIS thread has a bit in it....
Old Oct 1st 2006, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Not exactly sure what you mean by this? Do you mean go for the job in Queensland, and if successful, migrate to there and then start applying for jobs in Melbourne?
Simpy.
Yes that's what I meant but the people I know who had difficulties were all managerial, IT, CEO, company secretary types and I have no knowledge of your industry. In your case I guess I'd give it a go and try here first.
Have fun packing.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

ok thanks guys for all your advice. We have decided that Melbourne is more for us.

Simpy
Old Oct 1st 2006, 7:02 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Stating the obvious.....Rockhampton is right on the tropics so obviously has tropical weather....that also means it will have tropical storms although not too often.

Could you really stand tropical weather all year.

Not sure I could but some people love it.

G
Old Oct 1st 2006, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the others, rocky and melbourne are well, 2 different worlds really. OP's already made the point I would have paid great consideration to, tropical climate fun for a holiday, work, ummmm ?

If rockys going to grab you it will probably be an instant thing, even if one of you flys up and has a look, you will soon know, especially if your arriving in the hot wet season.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 10:22 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Agree with the others, rocky and melbourne are well, 2 different worlds really. OP's already made the point I would have paid great consideration to, tropical climate fun for a holiday, work, ummmm ?

If rockys going to grab you it will probably be an instant thing, even if one of you flys up and has a look, you will soon know, especially if your arriving in the hot wet season.
When we did our recky I preferred Rocky to Townsville but it had a much more of a York feeling compared to the likes of Brisbane and Melbourne will be way more cosmopolitan than Rocky. It all depends whether you want a busy life or a quiet life... if you are after the quiet life go for Rocky and enjoy the heat.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 12:01 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

What would you do?
Melbourne and Rockhampton are about as totally different places as you can get, perhpas you should visit both places to make your minds up
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

I work with someone (an IP network architect) here in Melbourne who grew up in Rockhampton.

He'll never go back - he said his biggest decision of the day was what board shorts/flipflops to wear
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:45 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
....and in the middle of the Cyclone zone....