Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Quarantine - What are they on about????

Melbourne Quarantine - What are they on about????

Old Mar 15th 2004, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default Melbourne Quarantine - What are they on about????

Have just heard from Allied Pickfords that we have had to have our xmas decorations quarantined, and as per normal, we can either have them sprayed or have them destroyed.

Their reason for quarantining the decorations.....pine needles. Now the fact that we have a fibre optic tree and all the decorations consist of are balls and tinsel really baffles me as to how they can come to the conclusion that there are pine needles in the box.

We've made the decision to get them destroyed as we've already been waiting for our stuff over 3 weeks now.

We were originally given a delivery date from Pickfords of 8th April, but when him outdoors told the woman that this wasn't good enough and he wanted the stuff delivered sooner than that, she then turned around and said "okay how about Wednesday?".

Regards
Old Mar 15th 2004, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Port Talbot, South Wales to Ascot Vale, Melbourne
jonah66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne Quarantine - What are they on about????

Originally posted by Jaykay
Have just heard from Allied Pickfords that we have had to have our xmas decorations quarantined, and as per normal, we can either have them sprayed or have them destroyed.

Their reason for quarantining the decorations.....pine needles. Now the fact that we have a fibre optic tree and all the decorations consist of are balls and tinsel really baffles me as to how they can come to the conclusion that there are pine needles in the box.

We've made the decision to get them destroyed as we've already been waiting for our stuff over 3 weeks now.

Regards

Hi Jaykay

Same thing happened to us ... & we had to pay for them to be destroyed!!!

Regards

Ian
Old Mar 15th 2004, 9:25 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

The words "revenue" and "excercise" spring to mind
The same thing happened to us and to Suffolk diva

Think we ought to do a mass complaint??
Old Mar 18th 2004, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Good news and good news!!

Allied Pickfords arrived at about 10.45am yesterday with all our boxes.

The leather lounge suite was still in good condition, no tears or scuffs. Looks a bit crumpled at the moment though where it's been packed.

Quarantine had second thoughts about our xmas decorations and they hadn't checked them at all. Probably because they were in one of the huge boxes that Nick had used (he packed everything himself) and they couldn't be bothered to go hunting through the box looking for them. The Xmas tree looks like they'd had a quick look at it though, but at least we didn't have to pay any extra charges

Nick was up till late in the night getting all his stereo equipment out and assembled (his pride and joy). The neighbours are going to be in for a rude awakening when it turns it on today

Alana had a ball opening her box of toys (another huge box) and the back bedroom now resembles a war zone

So another job ticked off my list of things to still worry about. Just the house in the UK now (we've accepted an offer on that too) and then the huge stressful job of buying a house here:scared:

Regards

Janice
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:28 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Way hey, go guys. Its a fantastic feeling isn't it.
As you know my house still looks like a war zone and my stuff came in january (i think ) Still trying to find a home for evrything.
Good luck with the house hunting guys xx
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:43 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
As you know my house still looks like a war zone and my stuff came in january (i think ) Still trying to find a home for evrything.
Hevs, do you use the vines or the rope ladder ?
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:02 pm
High in the Dandenongs

the vines, everytime
aarrrarrraaarrrggghhhh
(how can you do that in writing )
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by hevs
Hi Hevs

At least you guys could unpack everything knowing that it's going to stay there.

We've got about 18 boxes sitting in the corner of the dining room that aren't going to be opened as we know that we're going to have to move again soon.

Worst bit is when I think, "Oh I need a couple of wine glasses"and then having to try and move all of the boxes because the box with the glasses is right at the back, on the bottom of the ones that are stacked 3 high!!

Haven't forgotten the invitation to come over for some decent Fish and Chips. Will catch up soon.

Regards
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Is it just me, or isn't it a bit odd taking your Xmas decs with you? It's not like they cost the earth or anything. Or do they in Oz? I'm kind of looking forward to trashing mine. I have to say that I can't bear Xmas decs though, and they're only up in our house for the kids, I always look forward to ripping them down as soon as possible.

Bah humbug!

sandy
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:49 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandy.l
Is it just me, or isn't it a bit odd taking your Xmas decs with you? It's not like they cost the earth or anything. Or do they in Oz? I'm kind of looking forward to trashing mine. I have to say that I can't bear Xmas decs though, and they're only up in our house for the kids, I always look forward to ripping them down as soon as possible.

Bah humbug!

sandy
If you don't like them then surely your gonna resent paying for new ones.

Taking them means its one less thing you gotta spend your dollar on and believe me unless your minted then you'll be pleased.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Sandy.l

Bah humbug!

sandy
Hi Sandy

We had some xmas decorations in the box that my daughter had made over the last couple of years and were more of sentimental value than cost value, and also our decorations had cost quite a bit of money and were all pretty new. This is the main reason we brought them all with us.

Decorations are only as cheap over here as the quality you buy (just like the UK).

Regards
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

G'day all

We even brought our artificial Christmas tree!!

Regards

Ian
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jonah66
G'day all

We even brought our artificial Christmas tree!!

Regards

Ian
We bought a fibre optic one a couple of years ago and it cost us nearly 100 pounds and we couldn't decide whether to bring it or not. I checked out the prices over here for the same type of tree and they cost over $200.00 so I told Nick to make sure that it came over in the container.

Regards
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Jaykay
We bought a fibre optic one a couple of years ago and it cost us nearly 100 pounds and we couldn't decide whether to bring it or not. I checked out the prices over here for the same type of tree and they cost over $200.00 so I told Nick to make sure that it came over in the container.

Regards
We brought ours over on the plane!!

20 pieces of luggage (suitcases) ... 1 box of christmas decorations (baubles, etc) & 1 box with artificial tree!!

Regards

Ian
Old Mar 19th 2004, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

We took our deccos for the same reason - sentimental, ones we have bought over the years together and ones the kids have made. You need every little bit of help to feel festive here and that helps a tad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.