Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne to Perth

Melbourne to Perth

Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:19 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne to Perth

Hello

I just thought that as I had moved from Melbourne to Perth I would post a thread on the differences that i have found - I have only been here 2 weeks but here goes -

Firstly I feel like I am in England as almost everyone I talk to is English here (Northeren suburbs) the pubs are all very English with quiz nights and live bands etc.... In Melly there wasnt any pubs in suburbs like this - its so English

There are lots of English shops to buy English food on every corner almost.

The weather is great here, surf beaches so close

On the down side its so expensive here, and wages are lower, and I cant undertand why people are still buying houses and land at these ridiculas prices.....I was hoping to buy a house early next year, but even with my deposit from my UK property I am not sure I will be able to get on the property ladder here and that suks Where as in Melbourne I could buy a place on the beach for $320 000 - that wouldnt even get u a wrek here!!! I went to see a house yesturday was a total wrek - needed guttin - 3 bed one bath and it was $360 000 and it was in the most manky street - all the houses were dead scruffy and there were clapped out cars on the road etc... it was horrible - and some one will buy that - what is the world comming to???

I miss Melly with all the little cafes and cools shops - not as many here, and I need some cool clothes......as i hate chain stores

Oh and everything closes on a night and on Sundays.

I went shopping yesturday to my local coles at 4.30pm and there was no food!!!! I am not kidding - I had to walk out and abandon my trolly as all I had in it was a cucumber and bacon - there was no bread - no musshies and nothing that I wanted - all the shelves were bare!!!

Laura

Last edited by lauralollipop; Jul 16th 2006 at 12:23 am.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:35 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne to Perth

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
Firstly I feel like I am in England as almost everyone I talk to is English here (Northeren suburbs) the pubs are all very English with quiz nights and live bands etc.... In Melly there wasnt any pubs in suburbs like this - its so English

Horses for courses and all that, but you've just described my idea of hell - lol. Like when you go to Spain and and it's all 'Rose and Crown' pubs and 'Full English Breakfasts'. Jesus I'm glad we moved to NSW.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:53 am

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Horses for courses and all that, but you've just described my idea of hell - lol. Like when you go to Spain and and it's all 'Rose and Crown' pubs and 'Full English Breakfasts'. Jesus I'm glad we moved to NSW.

yea, I know what u mean, It was so wired at first, but due to my curcumstances I had a bout of homesickness and it seemed to cure it...... not sure how long I will stay here, but will certainly give it a couple of years and see how I settle, as my family are here......

laura
Old Jul 16th 2006, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to go to the 'Northern Suburbs' and see for myself the British influence. We hear so much about it here.

It seems incredible at times. I can almost imagine all the Man U tops in the shopping centres.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 2:58 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I agree last thing I wanted was a spanish/english beach set. But others may seek that so good luck to them. Nothing wrong with having plenty of expat friends etc but not when it borders on becoming a ghetto or prevents you from starting to enjoy new friends from your new country.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

I just thought that as I had moved from Melbourne to Perth I would post a thread on the differences that i have found - I have only been here 2 weeks but here goes -

On the down side its so expensive here, and wages are lower, and I cant undertand why people are still buying houses and land at these ridiculas prices.....I was hoping to buy a house early next year, but even with my deposit from my UK property I am not sure I will be able to get on the property ladder here and that suks Where as in Melbourne I could buy a place on the beach for $320 000 - that wouldnt even get u a wrek here!!! I went to see a house yesturday was a total wrek - needed guttin - 3 bed one bath and it was $360 000 and it was in the most manky street - all the houses were dead scruffy and there were clapped out cars on the road etc... it was horrible - and some one will buy that - what is the world comming to???

I miss Melly with all the little cafes and cools shops - not as many here, and I need some cool clothes......as i hate chain stores

I went shopping yesturday to my local coles at 4.30pm and there was no food!!!! I am not kidding - I had to walk out and abandon my trolly as all I had in it was a cucumber and bacon - there was no bread - no musshies and nothing that I wanted - all the shelves were bare!!!

Laura

Sounds great, move half way across the world klm to end up in manchester :scared:

Straight up tho, where did you find houses for $320,000 ON the beach in melb? or do you mean IN a beach suburb?
Old Jul 16th 2006, 3:19 am
Short Term Holiday Rental

cedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura about

Hello

Laura
Did you think that the reason people still do things in the pubs ie talk and have bands and quiz nights and karaoke is that there are no poker machines.....I lived in Melbourne when all that changed over there and what a difference, overnight the pub scene changed to a gambling scene and no one talked or sang or danced...give me perth any day. The reason you didnt notice the British population over there is that they have lost the art of conversation since the poker machine hit every corner. Just my opinion anyway...Suzette
Old Jul 16th 2006, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cedar cottage
Did you think that the reason people still do things in the pubs ie talk and have bands and quiz nights and karaoke is that there are no poker machines.....I lived in Melbourne when all that changed over there and what a difference, overnight the pub scene changed to a gambling scene and no one talked or sang or danced...give me perth any day. The reason you didnt notice the British population over there is that they have lost the art of conversation since the poker machine hit every corner. Just my opinion anyway...Suzette
Wow that is certainly not what I have found in Melbourne, but as you say, you are entitled to have your own opinion and I certainly do notice the British population every day
Old Jul 16th 2006, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Laura
Liked your post!

I agree with most of it - I find many things expensive here.

There are lots of Brits but I actually quite like this, not because of any feeling of homesickness, it's just nice ask people where they're from and then to have a realistic chat about the downsides of Australia instead of worrying about the "whinging pom" tag! (and you'd be surprised how many people have the same opinions about Perth and Australia!).

House prices - yep I agree.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

nfernand is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in NSW for the past 15 months. Still on rent, since house prices are damn too expensive, even though quality was houses here are much better than standard house in London.

Affordability of house in Aussi much less than in the UK, hence I feel property price accross Aussi will fall by early next year.

Ha !! I love the recent tax break !!!
Old Jul 16th 2006, 5:55 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Hello

Laura
A place on the beach in Melbourne for $320,000 , do you mean a beach tent.
Don't houses in beachside suburbs like Brighton go for $1.5 million
Old Jul 16th 2006, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy

A place on the beach in Melbourne for $320,000 , do you mean a beach tent.
Don't houses in beachside suburbs like Brighton go for $1.5 million
I think (from memory) that Laura lived in or near Aspendale where you certainly can buy a cute little house (a mere 100m from the beach) for less than $300k -
like this .

Last edited by NickyC; Jul 16th 2006 at 11:23 am.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Not every seaside home on the Peninsula is expensive and swanky.

There are stacks of pubs in Melbourne not blighted by pokies - if there are machines they are not too overt - in another room or corner.

Our local has a huge sundeck, overlooking a vineyard and sunsets, a real fire and a comfy sofa and good cheap food on Monday and Wednesday nights.

As far from the RSL thing as you can get. I found that NSW was more into the 'RSL' thing. There's a reason for that of course.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by nickyc
I think (from memory) that Laura lived in or near Aspendale where you certainly can buy a cute little house (a mere 100m from the beach) for less than $300k -
like this .

yes thats right - it was aspendale, we lived on the beach there on Nepean highway, Which I miss so much - but yea house infront of us sold for 320,000, very affordable compared to Perth......

I cant decide if I like it yet or not, I am certainly enjoying not having to repeat myself though cos of my Northern accent, in Melly no-one could understand what I say, but here they seem used to it. I know what you mean about Pokkies, I havent noticed any here and I hate the damn things. I have had more conversations here too, maybe its cos I can relate to Brits by talking about boots and primark etc.....its nice to have some one know what you mean...

There are ups and downs for both Perth and Mel but both v different, wish I could combine the 2 and it would be heaven never mind...only time will tell

laura
x