Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - Perth???

Melbourne - Perth???

Old May 26th 2006, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Auzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant future
Default Melbourne - Perth???

Help please
We are going out of our mind here, we are wanting to travel over in July but have still not decided where we want to live.
We first chose Melbourne, then decided on Perth, then we said we would definitely go to Melbourne then Tuesday we changed back to Perth and now yesterday we thought Melbourne again H E L P I am going dizzy with all this, I need a stiff drink
We want to go to Perth but OH has family in Melbourne and as he is in IT (Mainframe Analyst) people have said he would struggle to find a job in Perth but lots of chances in Melbourne.
I know you cant make our minds up for us, but any help would be most appreciated
Old May 26th 2006, 6:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne - Perth???

Have you ever been to Mel or Perth?

If not you need to visit both first.

Housing will be cheaper in Melbourne.
Old May 26th 2006, 6:46 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auzangel
Help please
We are going out of our mind here, we are wanting to travel over in July but have still not decided where we want to live.
We first chose Melbourne, then decided on Perth, then we said we would definitely go to Melbourne then Tuesday we changed back to Perth and now yesterday we thought Melbourne again H E L P I am going dizzy with all this, I need a stiff drink
We want to go to Perth but OH has family in Melbourne and as he is in IT (Mainframe Analyst) people have said he would struggle to find a job in Perth but lots of chances in Melbourne.
I know you cant make our minds up for us, but any help would be most appreciated
Are you coming over in July for good or for a exploratory visit?

Have recently arrived in Melbourne myself and can not comment on Perth but you are best to visit before finalising your decision.

You would not be disappointed with Melbourne

Kiwi
Old May 26th 2006, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Auzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant future

Hi
I haven't been to either but I am quite easy at settling down somewhere. OH has spent 6 weeks in Melbourne but that was a few years ago now.
We did think about having a holiday rental in Perth for a month and then one in Melbourne and then compare the two. I am struggling to find short term accommodation though all the sites I find are for property rentals for 6 months. I found a gorgeous house which was a holiday let but they didn't have availability

Originally Posted by renth

Old May 26th 2006, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Kiwi
No it will be for good :scared: With 5 of us we thought the money was better saved to help start a new life.
What area of Melbourne are you in? Do you know of any areas which to avoid?
Thank you for any help at all.

Originally Posted by thebears
Are you coming over in July for good or for a exploratory visit?

Have recently arrived in Melbourne myself and can not comment on Perth but you are best to visit before finalising your decision.

You would not be disappointed with Melbourne

Kiwi
Old May 26th 2006, 6:56 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I haven't been to either but I am quite easy at settling down somewhere. OH has spent 6 weeks in Melbourne but that was a few years ago now.
We did think about having a holiday rental in Perth for a month and then one in Melbourne and then compare the two. I am struggling to find short term accommodation though all the sites I find are for property rentals for 6 months. I found a gorgeous house which was a holiday let but they didn't have availability
Just remember from Sept onwards Melbourne short term accomodation is more expensive.
Old May 26th 2006, 7:27 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Are you sure? We like Perth and looked into moving to an area similar to we are here in Melb not too long a commute from city, on the beach etc. The reason being because we had been told how much cheaper it was in Perth.

Got lots of friends who moved to Melbourne from Perth and have said the nearest thing to Beaumaris would be Ocean Reef (as 2 families lived there also). Prices there looked a lot more reasonable on realestate.com than here.

We decided in the end that we may retire to Perth as we do like it but at the end of the day if we won the lotto we would prefer to live in Melbourne as we love it here at this time in our life as a family - thats just for us, not saying its for everyone!

Are you comparing like for like suburbs do you know? There are places in Melbourne where you can buy a reasonable property for around $400k but I don't know if it would be first choice for a lot of people.

Where did you find the information it may be quite interesting for people comparing the 2 places.

Thanks Renth,

LJJ
Old May 26th 2006, 8:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj
Are you sure? We like Perth and looked into moving to an area similar to we are here in Melb not too long a commute from city, on the beach etc. The reason being because we had been told how much cheaper it was in Perth.

Got lots of friends who moved to Melbourne from Perth and have said the nearest thing to Beaumaris would be Ocean Reef (as 2 families lived there also). Prices there looked a lot more reasonable on realestate.com than here.

We decided in the end that we may retire to Perth as we do like it but at the end of the day if we won the lotto we would prefer to live in Melbourne as we love it here at this time in our life as a family - thats just for us, not saying its for everyone!

Are you comparing like for like suburbs do you know? There are places in Melbourne where you can buy a reasonable property for around $400k but I don't know if it would be first choice for a lot of people.

Where did you find the information it may be quite interesting for people comparing the 2 places.

Thanks Renth,

LJJ
I'm pretty sure the median house price in Perth is now a close second behind Sydney.
Old May 26th 2006, 8:10 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Wrong, Housing is cheaper in Perth , much more expensive in melbourne,
Melbourne is much bigger then Perth, 3 times the population, more cosmotpolitan, multicultural, weather is alot cooler, wet and freezing cold in winter, snows on hills on outskirts.
Old May 26th 2006, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Wrong, Housing is cheaper in Perth , much more expensive in melbourne,
Melbourne is much bigger then Perth, 3 times the population, more cosmotpolitan, multicultural, weather is alot cooler, wet and freezing cold in winter, snows on hills on outskirts.
Wrong, the median house price in Perth is now $363,000 which is only below Sydney ($518,000) and Canberra ($409,500) but currently above Melbourne which has a median of $348,500.

http://www.homepriceguide.com.au/med...lease 0206.pdf

Edited to say those figures were from the last quarter of 2005. The figures for the first quarter of 2006 show that the median Perth house price is $396,000 and $347,000 for Melbourne so an even bigger difference now.

Last edited by NickyC; May 26th 2006 at 9:36 am.
Old May 26th 2006, 9:33 am
Just Joined

joannelock-haden is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello. Just been given this site by someone. We are doing an exchange holiday but our home will be vacant in July for 5 weeks. Would it be any help to you to rent for this length of time in Melbourne to have a look around? You can contact me on [email protected] to go further if you wish. Joanne
Old May 26th 2006, 9:43 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by joannelock-haden
Hello. Just been given this site by someone. We are doing an exchange holiday but our home will be vacant in July for 5 weeks. Would it be any help to you to rent for this length of time in Melbourne to have a look around? You can contact me on [email protected] to go further if you wish. Joanne

Welcome to the site Joanne, very nice offer to.
Old May 26th 2006, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Welcome to the group. I have PM you.
Thanks
Angel
x
Originally Posted by joannelock-haden
Old May 26th 2006, 10:06 am
Melbourne Australia

Thanks Kiwi
No it will be for good :scared: With 5 of us we thought the money was better saved to help start a new life.
What area of Melbourne are you in? Do you know of any areas which to avoid?
Thank you for any help at all.
We are in Malvern which is nice and central for us. Having only been here for a few weeks I cannot comment on other suburbs but there are alot of us here in Melbourne and at some point putting in an area of interest will flag up a "local" to give you more insight. Guess areas to avoid could also be taken for areas with poor transport links not just high crime rates?

What I can mention is driving around has been dead easy - no need for GPS system. The locals are friendly (based on the ones I have met and had dealings with).

I guess after coming up with a realistic budget you will get alot of house price info from the domain web site. Would strongly suggest you rent first to get a better feel for the area and until you establish your social network.

Alot of folks have relocated down the Mornington way and seem to be enjoying it - (are you? let Auzangel know )- we will be venturing further out for tiki tours over the coming weeks but still intend to reside closer to the CBD.

Price seems to be high closer to the CBD (for obvious reasons) and the closer you are to the beach. Both private and public schools are good here as well.

PM if you have any thoughts or worries - ie while the recent move is fresh in our minds.

Kiwi
Old May 26th 2006, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Help please
Just look at how many people choose Perth for the weather.
and then look at how many people choose Melbourne INSPITE of the weather.

This should give you a serious hint about what each city has to offer.

TC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.