Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne next Terror target

Melbourne next Terror target

Old Sep 12th 2005, 12:21 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne next Terror target

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
LOL! In that case I'd better go to bed; it's probably 'way past my bedtime...!

Good point, I'll tell him .

Night ~~~~ .
Old Sep 12th 2005, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
There was an official opening???

Gee, must have blinked and missed that one....

MrsD.....I am working as a volunteer at the Comm Games.....Think I should be composing my resignation letter?? :scared:

No it wasn't the official opening, it was a 'look what we have acheived' day- it seems no-one was interested / did not notice!

Yep- get that resignation in pronto....
Old Sep 12th 2005, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Back to the original reason for this thread, where do you reckon Al Queda would bomb. I would reckon a device left on a tram going down Bourke Street would cause a fair bit of damage or one on a train timed to go off in one of the CBD underground main line stations, or what about a hijacked plane crashing into the Rialto Tower.

If I was Bin Laden I would go for LA rather than Melbourne just to rub salt in Bush's wounds, serves Bush right for not being able to find him.
Old Sep 12th 2005, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil S
Back to the original reason for this thread, where do you reckon Al Queda would bomb. I would reckon a device left on a tram going down Bourke Street would cause a fair bit of damage or one on a train timed to go off in one of the CBD underground main line stations, or what about a hijacked plane crashing into the Rialto Tower.

If I was Bin Laden I would go for LA rather than Melbourne just to rub salt in Bush's wounds, serves Bush right for not being able to find him.

Well, I'd already thought about this, before Melbourne was announced. What would I hit, The reservoirs. Easy target, mass mass disruption, if they were to be contaminated.

If it were bombs, Highpoint/chadstone/Southland/Northland, all at the same time just on christmas.

Install the Cameras now, is the only slight defence we have.
Old Sep 12th 2005, 4:09 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

My first thought was the AFL grand final.
Old Sep 12th 2005, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Personally, I think there is adequate security as those events. With body searches etc etc.

Why do something where there is a risk of getting caught, when there are plenty of unprotected targets around. Sure it's a smallish world event, but any negative outcome of a terrorist strike would be well and truly given front page news around the world, as witnessed in Bali.

Something different this time, I doubt very much that it will be Melbourne though, another Furphy from AQ, if it is a serious threat, might as well apply it to every substantial target in Aussie.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 12th 2005 at 4:17 am.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Neil S
I would reckon a device left on a tram going down Bourke Street would cause a fair bit of damage or one on a train timed to go off in one of the CBD underground main line stations, or what about a hijacked plane crashing into the Rialto Tower
There was a story a couple of months ago about a terrorist who was arrested but had planned to fly a plane into the Rialto towers around 11/9
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4708615.stm

A bomb at Spencer Street station during rush hour could do some serious damage.
There are a few theories, it's the commonwealth games, the 'large' no of Jewish Australians living in Melbourne but thinking about it again, it may just be illiteration...London, Madrid...Los Angeles, Melbourne
Old Sep 13th 2005, 5:29 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

As they mentioned it in the same sentence as LA, maybe they actually meant Melbourne, FL?

(i.e. the one in the USA)

Anya.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 5:38 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by anya4oz
As they mentioned it in the same sentence as LA, maybe they actually meant Melbourne, FL?

(i.e. the one in the USA)

Anya.
You & I think alike. Thats exactly what I told my daughter.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

I can't even think about it. I've been so happy to leave London because of the recent bombs. I've been in London for years and there have been a few bombs since I have lived here, the last one being in Ealing, it's always been a threat, but never suicide bombers. These really scare me. Now we're going to Melbourne and maybe the same will happen there . I guess at least Melbourne doesn't have the same public transport infrastructure that could be targeted. I watched my husband walking to the tube this morning and wondered if he'd be okay. It's ahorrible threat to live with, knowing also that it can and has been a reality. In the last bomb it took ages to track down all my friends, 3 sisters + their husbands. I hate using the tube now. I find myself nervously watching everyone. God help the next city that is targeted and anyone caught up in it.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 7:38 am
mamacares

amendoza is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pako
I can't even think about it. I've been so happy to leave London because of the recent bombs. I've been in London for years and there have been a few bombs since I have lived here, the last one being in Ealing, it's always been a threat, but never suicide bombers. These really scare me. Now we're going to Melbourne and maybe the same will happen there . I guess at least Melbourne doesn't have the same public transport infrastructure that could be targeted. I watched my husband walking to the tube this morning and wondered if he'd be okay. It's ahorrible threat to live with, knowing also that it can and has been a reality. In the last bomb it took ages to track down all my friends, 3 sisters + their husbands. I hate using the tube now. I find myself nervously watching everyone. God help the next city that is targeted and anyone caught up in it.
Yo to that! That why they're called terrorists! They bring nightmares and havoc!!! I feel for you.

Cheers still!

Hannah
Old Sep 13th 2005, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by renth

Well, it depends if they're homegrown terrorists or on a flying visit. Foreign terrorists would probably never have heard of AFL. The Commonwealth Games on the other hand.......

Anyway, I don't think anything they have to say is to be trusted - they say Melbourne but it could be just diversion tactics. It's a nasty nasty business.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Everyone always thinks it will happen elsewhere to where they are...then all of a sudden you're in it and it happens to you. People have to learn to be more vigilent you have to watch for those bags left in the corner. We all have a responsibility we can't just walk by and leave them. They need more sniffer dogs at big events and on major transport networks. This is a modern threat that anyone in a city is going to have to learn to live with.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

What worried me is that the Aus government haven't changed the security level status as they want to authenticate the tape! I appreciate you don't want to cause mass panic, but surely they should go on 'yellow alert' (okay, I admit it I have watched too many movies!) or something, just to be more alert and vigilant.

We are moving melbourne, which just goes to show that you are not safe anywhere in the world!!

Sad me.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 8:52 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
What worried me is that the Aus government haven't changed the security level status as they want to authenticate the tape!
No but they have increased the time for citizenship which will REALLY help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.