Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne (Mulgrave) area? Where to live?

Melbourne (Mulgrave) area? Where to live?

Old Jun 28th 2009, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Danaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant futureDanaamatrix has a brilliant future
Default Melbourne (Mulgrave) area? Where to live?

Hi there,

I have just had the phone call I have been waiting for this morning and I have been given a job in Melbourne. I am going on a temp visa but I will be applying for a full visa once there.

The job I have been offered is in Mulgrave area. I need a little help with what area to look at and to avoid. I have a small family (1 & 4 year olds) so schools are important and I have a housing budget of about $450,000. I will be renting at first but as soon as I get full residency I will be looking to buy. I don't mind travelling a bit. (30mins by car/train)

I am coming over in August for 3 weeks to have a look round my new company so it would be great if you guys could give me a heads up wheere to start.

Anyhelp would be brilliant!

Dan

On another note, I met up with Gierant Davies of Montford International. Very strange guy who tried the hard sell to the wrong couple. I will be billing him for taking 2 hours of my life away later!

Last edited by Danaamatrix; Jun 28th 2009 at 8:27 am.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future
Default Re: Melbourne (Mulgrave) area? Where to live?

Mulgrave is not a bad area it has no railway station though. I like Wheelers Hill which is close by

For $450k I would look at Oakleigh, Clayton, Chadstone close by. Now if you want to go a bit further out you could go to Berwick, lots of new development here. Straight up the Monash freeway or Princes highway.

Avoid Noble Park, Dandenong.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Melchels is on a distinguished road

Try Forest Hill, Vermont South or Burwood East. Nice areas that are overspills from Blackburn/Box Hill.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Mulgrave is in the City of Monash http://www.monash.vic.gov.au/ have a look at the council site as it has a lot of infomation about the whole area the council covers.

I am not a fan of Mulgrave but there are lots of nice suburbs in the east where you could live and commute from. Just depends how far you wish to live from your place of employment.

Mount Waverley is a nice suburb, Wheelers Hill as has been said but can be pricey, Vermont. Going further out you have Endeavour Hills, to the south you could look at Dingley Village or any of the beach side suburbs such as Parkdale, Mentone, Beaumaris, Black Rock, Sandringham, good areas for schools and aesthetically pleasing.

Take a look at Realestate.com.au and Domain.com.au and you will get an idea of the housing available.

Most people live away from the suburb that they work in here in Melbourne and as has been said there is newer housing at Berwick and areas south.

Good luck
Old Jun 29th 2009, 12:47 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ossigeno
Mulgrave is not a bad area it has no railway station though. I like Wheelers Hill which is close by
Mulgrave is next door to Glen Waverley which does have a rail station literally 5 minutes away and would be in the OPs budget. Wheelers Hill? Very expensive. Glen Waverley is a good suburb which has the least crime in Melbourne.

For $450k I would look at Oakleigh, Clayton, Chadstone close by. Now if you want to go a bit further out you could go to Berwick, lots of new development here. Straight up the Monash freeway or Princes highway.

Avoid Noble Park, Dandenong.
And avoid Springvale. I would also avoid Clayton. Oakleigh and Chadstone are also probably over budget.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
Glen Waverley is a good suburb which has the least crime in Melbourne.
Can you give us the link to this report - I think many would find this useful.

I know the RACV have burglary stats per suburb (interestingly enough showing that GW has almost twice as many as other areas). I'm aware that's just a small percentage of crime btw.

Thanks Dean
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Crow

I know the RACV have burglary stats per suburb (interestingly enough showing that GW has almost twice as many as other areas). I'm aware that's just a small percentage of crime btw.

Thanks Dean
"Crime statistics are produced annually by Victoria Police. Summaries of offences are reported per 100,000 population to enable comparisons across different areas.

In Monash, there were 505 recorded crimes against the person per 100,000 population in 2006-07 compared to 508 in the Eastern Metro Region and the Victorian State average of 822.

In Monash, there were 3892 recorded crimes against property per 100,000 population in 2006-07, compared to 3909 in the Eastern Metro Region and the Victorian State average of 5482. "

http://myboot.com.au/3150/Glen%20Wav...statistic.aspx

Now these figures are for the city of Monash which Glen Waverley is a part of. Monash includes Ashwood, Burwood, Chadstone, Clayton, Glen Waverely, Hughesdale, Huntingdale, Mount Waverley, Mulgrave, Notting Hill, Oakleigh, Pinewood, Syndal, and Wheelers Hill. Of all these areas Glen Waverley has the least crime but you won't find statistics solely for Glen Waverley. My knowledge of this inparticular comes from my time in the Police.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:57 am
Account Closed

Thanks Dean
I don't know how the RACV compiles their statistics but for burglaries it is actually Wheelers Hill and not Glen waverley that has the highest burglary rate. It's quite an affluent area. I think the RACV figures are based on postcode and not broken down to actual suburb as the figures for Wheelers Hill and Glen Waverley are the same.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 3:18 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Dean

mmmmm i live in GW and i would be shocked if it has the least crime, its got a bit of a dodgy, secret mafia feel to it, i think most of the crime may go unreported.

However the my daughters go to school here and they are excellent.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 3:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Margaret3
mmmmm i live in GW and i would be shocked if it has the least crime, its got a bit of a dodgy, secret mafia feel to it, i think most of the crime may go unreported.

It has a secret mafia feel to it?

How many times have you witnessed a crime being commited in GW?

Have you yourself been a victim of crime in GW?

Whereabout in GW are you?
Old Jun 29th 2009, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3

I think GW's fine - often get the train from there as there are less weirdos than on the Belgrave line

Just interested to see the link
Old Jun 29th 2009, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't know how the RACV compiles their statistics but for burglaries it is actually Wheelers Hill and not Glen waverley that has the highest burglary rate. It's quite an affluent area. I think the RACV figures are based on postcode and not broken down to actual suburb as the figures for Wheelers Hill and Glen Waverley are the same.
No, I didn't say GW had the highest burglary rate - just didn't think it would have the lowest crime rate in Melbourne. I think GW is fine, but always intererested in the links
Old Jun 29th 2009, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

"Crime statistics are produced annually by Victoria Police. Summaries of offences are reported per 100,000 population to enable comparisons across different areas.

In Monash, there were 505 recorded crimes against the person per 100,000 population in 2006-07 compared to 508 in the Eastern Metro Region and the Victorian State average of 822.

In Monash, there were 3892 recorded crimes against property per 100,000 population in 2006-07, compared to 3909 in the Eastern Metro Region and the Victorian State average of 5482. "

http://myboot.com.au/3150/Glen%20Wav...statistic.aspx

Now these figures are for the city of Monash which Glen Waverley is a part of. Monash includes Ashwood, Burwood, Chadstone, Clayton, Glen Waverely, Hughesdale, Huntingdale, Mount Waverley, Mulgrave, Notting Hill, Oakleigh, Pinewood, Syndal, and Wheelers Hill. Of all these areas Glen Waverley has the least crime but you won't find statistics solely for Glen Waverley. My knowledge of this inparticular comes from my time in the Police.
Thanks for the link - love my facts & figures!

So, this is just area rather than suburb. Still, will be useful for some.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I would be interested to know if anyone has been a victim of crime anywhere in Melbourne
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:43 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

It has a secret mafia feel to it?

How many times have you witnessed a crime being commited in GW?

Have you yourself been a victim of crime in GW?

Whereabout in GW are you?

yes, my reasons for stating this are not something that i am willing to go into on a public forum, as i am also not willing to give the area of gw i am in.

I dont want peoples imaginations to be running riot, its not as bad or mysterious as it sounds, i would like to post about it, but have been on BE long enough to know better. GW is on the whole a good area, easy access around melbourne, good schools, good facilities, and some really yummy places to eat, its an excellent starting off point when your first arrive, especially if you have kids and are lookling for good state primary and secondary schools.

It is pricey, not sure of the medium house price though.

Last edited by Margaret3; Jun 29th 2009 at 9:59 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.