British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Melbourne move (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/melbourne-move-316548/)

givemecoffee Jul 28th 2005 9:21 am

Melbourne move

Hi :)

Me, hubby and 4 year old are moving to Melbourne in September. I have a job at hospital in Fitzroy and we are looking at suburbs to the east of the city. Don't want too much of a commute so am guesing maybe not futher than Mount Waverley?? We like the sound of Camberwell but seems quite pricey. We have about $350 week budget for rent. Can anyone recommend any nice green suburbs with good primary schools and cafe culture. Any info greatly appreciated.

Ta! :D

lauralollipop Jul 28th 2005 9:29 am

Re: Melbourne move

Originally Posted by givemecoffee

Me, hubby and 4 year old are moving to Melbourne in September. I have a job at hospital in Fitzroy and we are looking at suburbs to the east of the city. Don't want too much of a commute so am guesing maybe not futher than Mount Waverley?? We like the sound of Camberwell but seems quite pricey. We have about $350 week budget for rent. Can anyone recommend any nice green suburbs with good primary schools and cafe culture. Any info greatly appreciated.

just wanted to say Hi, sorry I cant help as I am in Aspendale and dont know anywhere in those parts....BOARDY!!!!

I think for $350 you will get something very nice, we pay $280 for a modern town house on the beach, so it should be more than enough!

good luck

laura
x

anya4oz Jul 28th 2005 9:30 am

Mount Waverly is about 30ish mins train ride from the CBD. Not sure what it's like there, though, for cafe culture etc.

If you want to be closer to the City, in a trendy cafe culture suburb you could do worse than South Yarra. It's a vibrant place with loads going on & a great produce market at Prahan. Loads of lovely old houses, trees and very near the Botanic Gardens & the park at Como Mansion.

Check out the rentals there at this web site & see if it fits your budget:

http://www.realestateview.com.au/

Other nice nearby suburbs include Kew, Ivanhoe. Have friends in both, with kids, who are happy there.

Good luck with the move.

Cheers,
Anya.

lauralollipop Jul 28th 2005 9:33 am

Hi Anya

hope you are fine, havent spoke to you for ages........
sorry to hijack thread but

just wanted to say hi

laura
x

anya4oz Jul 28th 2005 9:44 am

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
Hi Anya

hope you are fine, havent spoke to you for ages........
sorry to hijack thread but

just wanted to say hi

laura
x

Hi Laura

Wanted to wave & say Congrats but am too dazzled by the glittering rock on your finger - can't see you!!!

Cheers
Anya

OP - please excuse us lot: Laura's just got engaged so we're all excited :)

lauralollipop Jul 28th 2005 9:47 am

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Hi Laura

Wanted to wave & say Congrats but am too dazzled by the glittering rock on your finger - can't see you!!!

Cheers
Anya

OP - please excuse us lot: Laura's just got engaged so we're all excited :)

thanks babe....

anyway back to the conversation in hand now........

Bordy Jul 28th 2005 9:52 am

Nothing wrong with Mount Waverley or Glen Waverley. Which hospital are you working at & I hope you have permanent residency & the hospital isn't sponsoring.
The reason I'm asking which hospital was just wondering if its near the train line or do you intend driving in?

lauralollipop Jul 28th 2005 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Bordy
Nothing wrong with Mount Waverley or Glen Waverley. Which hospital are you working at & I hope you have permanent residency & the hospital isn't sponsoring.
The reason I'm asking which hospital was just wondering if its near the train line or do you intend driving in?

you are like a jeanie in a lamp, i just type your name and you are there ;)

Bordy Jul 28th 2005 9:56 am

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
you are like a jeanie in a lamp, i just type your name and you are there ;)

You rub it darling & I'll pop up. ;)

givemecoffee Jul 28th 2005 10:04 am

Job is at St. Vincents and Mercy Private and yes they are sponsoring..is that bad :eek: ???!!! Was hoping to get train as am sick of M25 car park over here.

x

Bordy Jul 28th 2005 10:45 am

Job is at St. Vincents and Mercy Private and yes they are sponsoring..is that bad :eek: ???!!! Was hoping to get train as am sick of M25 car park over here.

x

You may have to get the train into Flinders then on to the city loop train & off at Parliament, its 5 mns walk from there.

Sponsoring is ok if you like the hospital & they like you but if anything happens & you have to leave the hospital problems start.
Perm Residency is really easy to get for nurses & theres a few on this site wish they had taken it out rather than come over on a sponsorship.
You should start applying for it as soon as you decide you like it here.

fireeater Jul 28th 2005 10:52 pm

x

St Vincents Plaza is on Victoria Parade at the bottom of Brunswick Street. Loads of trams go there. From the city you can pick one up at Collins Street and it's a 5-10 minute journey.

Shellfish Jul 28th 2005 11:25 pm

Hey there

Depending on what type of place you are looking for, you should be able to get something in Camberwell for around $350 p/w. We are in Glen Iris, in a three bedroom townhouse and we pay $300 p/w (It's like buying, you don't have to offer them what they are asking!). Suburbs in the East I would recommend are Camberwell, Glen Iris, Burwood, Malvern but if you look a little more North East which is closer to Fitzroy, there is Kew, Hawthorn, Balwyn which are all good areas with good schools.

This all said, getting from the east to north is going to be quite a journey as there are no trains that run this route directly. You would need to get a train to the city and then a tram to Fitzroy, I reckon all in all, you are looking at around an hour and a half's journey and not much less if you drive.

Good luck with the move

CasG Jul 28th 2005 11:25 pm

Sponsoring is ok if you like the hospital & they like you but if anything happens & you have to leave the hospital problems start.
Perm Residency is really easy to get for nurses & theres a few on this site wish they had taken it out rather than come over on a sponsorship.
You should start applying for it as soon as you decide you like it here.

I'll certainly agree with that...

I realised quite early on that the sponsorship had tied me to a job which I didn't like - for one the organisation had said that they would be placing me in an Acute Assessment facility, whereas in reality it was a nursing home..

I applied for my Perm Residency at the end of February, and have just come back from New Zealand (Auckland) where it was formerly granted - so it didn't take long at all.
I have found it stressful and expensive (457, 136 plus travel to NZ), but now that I have PR am free to work where I like. (and yes, I've handed in my resignation..)

Cas

ps good luck with the citizenship & I hope you get a nice plant :)

Bordy Jul 29th 2005 3:23 am

Originally Posted by carolinegorka

ps good luck with the citizenship & I hope you get a nice plant :)

I think they should give out stubby holders instead of plants, far more Australian.
Thanks anyway, we are both looking forward to it.