Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne "most liveable city in the world" once again

Melbourne "most liveable city in the world" once again

Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:39 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne "most liveable city in the world" once again

Originally Posted by Been there
Posted to Melbourne twice in my military career, not somewhere I'd like to live again.
Were you fighting the fuzzy wuzzies?
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:43 am
Banned

Been there has a brilliant futureBeen there has a brilliant futureBeen there has a brilliant futureBeen there has a brilliant futureBeen there has a brilliant futureBeen there has a brilliant futureBeen there has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Were you fighting the fuzzy wuzzies?
No, fighting the anti vietnam war longhairs!
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:02 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Been there
No, fighting the anti vietnam war longhairs!
Ah, a dangerous breed, all moved to Nimbin now I'd imagine
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:20 am
Banned

Been there has a brilliant futureBeen there has a brilliant futureBeen there has a brilliant futureBeen there has a brilliant futureBeen there has a brilliant futureBeen there has a brilliant futureBeen there has a brilliant future

Well it was the majority then, couldn't all be in Nimbin now.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:52 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Liveable doesn't mean good. It just means the city is full of boring pathetic and contempt individuals. Nothing wrong with this but people who spent their youth and single years in fantastic cities but then have decided to live a quieter life shouldn't really be allowed to have an opinion on this issue imo.

Adelaide is a classic example. An absolute dump of a city with really nothing going for it. Wouldn't live there for a million dollars a year but perhaps for a short term I would be happy earning 5 pound an hour in London.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 9:04 am
Banned

And others would think differently though I have to say having spent a year in Adelaide I'd agree on that part.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 9:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Liveable doesn't mean good. It just means the city is full of boring pathetic and contempt individuals. Nothing wrong with this but people who spent their youth and single years in fantastic cities but then have decided to live a quieter life shouldn't really be allowed to have an opinion on this issue imo.

Adelaide is a classic example. An absolute dump of a city with really nothing going for it. Wouldn't live there for a million dollars a year but perhaps for a short term I would be happy earning 5 pound an hour in London.
You see, this is where you fail to understand people and the fact that they all have an arsehole and an opinion and want different things. You think that about Melbourne and Adelaide and millions of others don't. You're not wrong and neither are they but to attempt to patronise them because you believe you know best is laughable if it wasn't so sad.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 9:23 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Given that 5 pound is less than the current UK minimum wage, I doubt you'd be happy there for too long ;-)
Old Aug 30th 2011, 9:32 am
Banned

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You see, this is where you fail to understand people and the fact that they all have an arsehole and an opinion and want different things. You think that about Melbourne and Adelaide and millions of others don't. You're not wrong and neither are they but to attempt to patronise them because you believe you know best is laughable if it wasn't so sad.
You put it far better than I did. Back to school me thinks.......
Old Aug 30th 2011, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Gee, a lot of sour grapes on this thread.

What a downer.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 10:15 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not surprised Melbourne came top of the shop.

Very apt.

I must visit one day.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 10:17 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
I'm not surprised Melbourne came top of the shop.

Very apt.

I must visit one day.
yes, you really must
Old Aug 30th 2011, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The stock BE response in the past is that real cities aren't livable by some arbitary index, but they have soul etc etc...litter in the streets means that people choose to do other things..

Zurich is liveable, Vancouver is liveable but both lack the life of London or Paris etc etc.

Maybe true and down to what you want. I have lived in London, but now I prefer Melbourne.

My sister-in-law is visiting - (it's OK - there's no dramas - nothing to report) and she's liking Melbourne - for reasons most people do. If you want London, stay in London.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Mike-S will become famous soon enough

Well, Melbourne better had be good, as we're moving there next week

Wife's company wanted her there as the new strategic director, so our 457's were sorted a few weks ago. The house movers come in next Monday, she heads off on Wednesday and I'm following in October so it's up to her to find us a house. Her work is located in Braeside, so she has a studio for the first 6 weeks in Mordialloc whilst house hunting.

All I need to do is find myself a job now !!
Old Aug 30th 2011, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

towers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud of

Lived all over the world and Melbourne is just the bee's knees - anyone who says it lacks culture must live in a parallel universe - it's bloody everywhere!

The variety of lifestyles you can adopt is a pleasure, the restaurants and bars are top notch, the music scene is throbbing, the performing arts are everywhere, people are happy and smiling, people don't drink to excess to the detriment of others, and petrol is cheap as chips.

In my opinion it's a crying shame the Australian government has not done a better job of explaining how good times are - not to say there arent things that can be improved - but ffs life's a treat here.

TAC, WorkCover, Superannuation, the national broadband network, the seafood, the winelands, and the weather - it's our mid winter and we still get a string of 20 degree days every so often - this city and Federally is a progressive breath of fresh air - but then my glass is always half full :-)

Last edited by towers; Aug 30th 2011 at 12:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.