Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - Mernda

Melbourne - Mernda

Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

jannyb has a spectacular aura aboutjannyb has a spectacular aura aboutjannyb has a spectacular aura about
Default Melbourne - Mernda

Hi,
Does anyone know the area of Mernda or South Morang in Melbourne? It's about 17miles north of the CBD and they are currently planning new developments up there. When we went to Melbourne in Feb, a lot of Ozzies hadn't really heard of it. Just wondering if there's anyone here that knows the area and can give us any views?
Thanks. Janny.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne - Mernda

Originally Posted by jannyb
Hi,
Does anyone know the area of Mernda or South Morang in Melbourne? It's about 17miles north of the CBD and they are currently planning new developments up there. When we went to Melbourne in Feb, a lot of Ozzies hadn't really heard of it. Just wondering if there's anyone here that knows the area and can give us any views?
Thanks. Janny.
Had never heard of it! Looking on whereis.com.au I'd imagine it would be horrible getting from there to the CBD if you were planning on driving in and it looks like at least part of the journey would have to be by road as there is no train line running through there. I hope someone else can give you more info on it
Old Jul 26th 2006, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jannyb
Hi,
Thanks. Janny.
Only been up there to look at some of the new housing developments! Depends on if you'll be working in the city - if so I would think it would be a really long commute. Seems a nice enough area otherwise, right on the edge of Melbourne (at the moment!). Two minutes up the road and you're right in the countryside with the kangaroos!!
Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:24 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Its not a bad area as you've got Epping and Broadmeadows fairly close, and a Coles supermarket a little way down the road and one of the best meat places about 5 minutes away. Also got Whittlesea in the other direction and you'd be very close to the local wildlife. Not too bad but a fair way out.
However, if you are planning on working anywhere south of there, the traffic is a major pain in the arse. It starts building about 7.30 and doesn't let up until after 9. There is a single lane leading down to Bundoora and it gets packed, especially with the new estate at South Morang. I don't know if they have plans to upgrade the road.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

jannyb has a spectacular aura aboutjannyb has a spectacular aura aboutjannyb has a spectacular aura about

Thanks all. I was wondering what the commute was like to the CBD!? They are supposed to be extending the tram system at some point in the future but I guess that'll be a while yet! I'm used to commuting in bad traffic in the UK but wanted to really get out of that when I move...!!
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:11 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually used to live in Mernda for around 4 years back in the late 70's early 80's. Back then it was a tiny little rural town with virtually no links to the City except by car and a bus once a day going in and once coming back out again

Now....its growing quite big. Mernda itself is still just a small little community but its got new estates going up around it everywhere and its nearly totally linked to Sth Morang. Sth Morang now is full of McMansions and to me, lost all the charm it used to have and now, I think Mernda is going that way also.

Once the tram is extended and the infrastructure improves, it will be a viable option to live. It has some gorgeous country surrounding it and I do have happy memories of living there as a kid.

If you want any more info, let me know.

Hels