Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

MELBOURNE LIFE, WHATS IT LIKE?

MELBOURNE LIFE, WHATS IT LIKE?

Old Oct 24th 2009, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

manzipoo will become famous soon enough
Default MELBOURNE LIFE, WHATS IT LIKE?

Hi folks, mi Hubbi and I are wanting to move to Melbourne, hoping next year.
Just wondered about renting costs, living costs etc.
Hubbi been offered a job in The Bays Hospital, Mornington Peninsula! Also been offered a job at Cabrini Hospital Malvern, Melbourne.
Any ideas and experiences are much appreciated.
Thankyou.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

robertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant future
Default Re: MELBOURNE LIFE, WHATS IT LIKE?

Hi Manzipoo,

Can't give you too much info on renting only that the 2 job offers are in 2 completely different area's, the Bays hospital is in Mornington on the Peninsula and is where a lot of people would like to live but the commute to the city stops them, although there are people that do it! Rental prices would be cheaper around Mornington for that reason, the Cabrini is in Malvern which is much much closer to the city and so will cost more in rent for similar properties. Try www.realestate.com.au to get some idea. Also depends on what type of person you are, City or Country, Mornington is very country and in the middle of the wine area's etc with Malvern having easy access to the City.

Hope that gives you a start for your research.

Good luck

Rob.

Last edited by robertnhelen; Oct 24th 2009 at 10:32 pm. Reason: forgot the au doh!
Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:45 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Cabrini is around the corner from us

Malvern is more an established area inner Melbourne with 200 year old tree lined streets.

Mornington is along way from town so bear in mind next employment opportunities should you move on or the hospital closes down
Old Oct 25th 2009, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

We live in Mornington and love it!

I guess it depends on whether you want country and seaside or a leafy inner suburb. We lived in Brighton when we first got here and although we were by the sea we did miss countryside hence the move to Mornington as we get the best of both worlds.

If you went for Mornington you have a fair number of choices to live, Somerville, Mount Martha, Mornington or even going down to Rosebud would only be a 20 min journey. Rentals - take a look on Realestate but you'd get a nice 3/4 bed house for around $400 a week.

Also depends how near to the city you want to be - we can drive it in 1.15 hours (little traffic) or it's a 20 min drive to Frankston and then an hour on the train.

Good luck!

KK
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Mornington will give you for more for the dollar than Malvern. Malvern is expensive area rentals and to buy. Do not believe the Bays is going anywhere anytime soon and there are a lot of other hospitals commuting distance from Mornington, Peninsula Private, Beleura, Frankston Public, Sandringham, Dandenong Public, Casey and Monash public is commutable too.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:27 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by manzipoo
Hubbi been offered a job in The Bays Hospital, Mornington Peninsula! Also been offered a job at Cabrini Hospital Malvern, Melbourne.
Thankyou.

I have done a few agency shifts at cabrini hosp and thought it was ok, certainly one of the better private hosps, sorry dont have any experience of the bays hosp

I would recommend peeps take a casual position in a couple of hosps before deciding where you wanna work, also once you get here you might decide on a different location altogether

Last edited by Margaret3; Oct 26th 2009 at 2:29 am.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:30 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Margaret3
I have done a few agency shifts at cabrini hosp and thought it was ok, certainly one of the better private hosps, sorry dont have any experience of the bays hosp
What do you reckon of the oil painting at reception?
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ukecadet
What do you reckon of the oil painting at reception?

cant even remember it , lol

how r u?

best private hosp i have worked in is over your way in footscray, the staff were lovely.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Cabrini is around the corner from us

Malvern is more an established area inner Melbourne with 200 year old tree lined streets.

Mornington is along way from town so bear in mind next employment opportunities should you move on or the hospital closes down
honestly cant see any hosp closing down here, they seem to get busier and busier, sugeons are complaining that they cant get sessions is some of the private hosps as it is operating to its max, surgeons are on 'waiting lists to get in to operate in some hosps'
Old Oct 26th 2009, 3:02 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

cant even remember it , lol

how r u?

best private hosp i have worked in is over your way in footscray, the staff were lovely.
Can't remember it!!!.Scariest looking nun you'll ever see.I think she was Mother Superior of The Sisters of the Premenstrual Tension.

We're all good thanks but too busy for my liking.

Have a goodun Mags
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:26 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by manzipoo
Thankyou.
Does'nt Melbourne always win the award each year for the world most liveable city or come second, but good suburbs in Melbourne are not cheap, theres no recession like in the UK , the house prices keep going up alot each year,
Old Oct 31st 2009, 3:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mohogony
the house prices keep going up alot each year,

mmmmmmmm lets wait and see
Old Oct 31st 2009, 6:45 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

mmmmmmmm lets wait and see
I waited for the skills assessment
I Waited for the Visa
I waited for the gold stamp
I waited for the plane
I waited for a job
I waited a wee bit for a rental.

Sick of waiting so I brought a house.

Guess what now I have to wait for the f**king thing to be built.

Old Oct 31st 2009, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

MaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really nice

Position yourself somewhere between Mornington and Malvern i.e. Mordialloc, mentone, chelsea etc. They are all really nice beachside suburbs. We have just recently moved over to Mordi from Perth and loving it so far.

My wife is working in Frankston hospital and im working in the CBD, the commute for me is 40 mins and for Jen 20 minutes, shes got the car though, I have to rough it on the train

Yep, the winter in Melbourne will be colder than the other cities...but there is just so much to do here.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 4:47 am
Just Joined

Ning Nang Nong is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a no-brainer. Go for the Mornington job. Rent a place near the Esplanade.
You'll love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.