Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Independent Schools

Wikiposts

Melbourne Independent Schools

Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Melbourne Independent Schools

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
Looks like its the same as UK then. I was educated in State schools but went to Oxford Brookes (all other students had been Privately Educated except me) I had top results but I hate to say it didnt have the "old school" networking skills/ public speaking/ confidence that is built in as part of private education (and yes that is a chip on my shoulder!!!). Anyway I have worked hard all my life and am proud of my achievements and I dont think my having to work that bit harder has been a bad thing BUT do I want my kids to do it to prove a point NO do I want to give them the extra advantages having a good secondary school on CV YES i hate to say it but yes. My OH is apposed to this opinion however we have agreed to go and look at the schools and make our choice.

Thanks for the info

Cheryl

Hi,

I know exactly what you mean.

My main concern is matching the school to my child. It's been said on another thread that a bright, confident child will do well in any school - state or private, which is probably true. How, however, do you find a school that will enable a not so confident child to achieve to the best of their abilities.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Willij
Hi,

I know exactly what you mean.

My main concern is matching the school to my child. It's been said on another thread that a bright, confident child will do well in any school - state or private, which is probably true. How, however, do you find a school that will enable a not so confident child to achieve to the best of their abilities.
As a teacher and as a parent the one thing that I believe does make a difference to the 'not so bright child', who would not necessarily do well in any school, is a smaller class size.

You can achieve this in a few different ways - live in a remore area - speak an uncommon language - have a specific faith - pay for it.

We have a not so bright child - the smaller class has made a huge difference.

Bezza

Last edited by bezzanbob; Mar 7th 2007 at 11:08 am.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

I note that there is NO state schools in your listing, people can save money if there kids are academic. tell people to look at Yr12 results with state against private, then they will get the true results.????
Old Mar 7th 2007, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
Thank you so much for offering your help. This is obviously one of the biggest worries for parents emigrating, "what school, private or Government". Our children have been through British forces schooling abroad most of their lives and I believe have had the advantages and disadvantages of this. Our eldest will be starting secondary school in Australia and giving her a settled education is of the upmost importance (she is 11 had 7 schools so far due to military moves and our son is 8 and on his 3rd school). The main concern is Private or Government?. We hope to live in Mount Eliza and have looked at Frankston High, Mount Eliza Secondary and The Peninsular school. Now obviously The Peninsular school fees are around $14,000 per year + other expenses. This is affordable but as both my husband and I went through state schooling we need to be assured that this offers advantages to our children. They are both bright children (although my daughter tends to be a little lazy) and are doing very well through their current state funded schooling (top 10%). I also like the fact that they are well rounded individuals. In Australia does having a private school on your CV open doors like in the UK? i.e if you have two people exactly the same applying for a job instinctively employers tend to favour the Private School CV (I now this is not talked about but it does happen). If Australia is like this then the fees are a small sacrifice for this "leg up". Do you get places in University easier if you went to Private School?

I am sorry this is a rather strange reply to your post but with you working in the Australian schooling system I would appreciate your insight on this. My children currently do well at school and therefore I hate to say it but it is the status aspect that will partly influence are discission. Please do not take this the wrong way as primarily we want them to be happy at school and the general feel of the school and its ethos will be primarily the most important part of our choices however if both schools feel happy and have a good feel about them is there an advantage to our child's future by having been to a Private school?

I would really appreciate your advice on how you see the schooling system in Australia compared to UK.

Cheryl
We moved to Mornington 18 months ago had had the same concerns with schools for our two youngest boys both now 13 and 17. We looked at all the schools you mentioned, Frankston High was good but the catchment area means you would have to at least live in Frankston South not Mount Eliza and finding a nice house to rent in the catchment we decided was not viable and we certainly didn't want to buy there. The school made it clear that if you moved out of catchment they could take away the school place, its that competetive to get in they don't want people renting for a few months just to get the address!!

None of us including the boys liked Mount Eliza School, nothing specific but just not upto the standard ours had had at state school in the UK, so ours go to The Peninsula, great school and they love it. All year 12's last year applying for uni got their places, and as 1 in 3 in Victoria last year failed to get in makes you wonder doesn't it!!

If you consider schools like the Peninsula though apply early from the UK, we did and when we got here they told us that the school was full. I said I was disappointed because I'd been in touch with the school, sent school references etc for the boys but not heard anything. They said 'are you the Smart family' I said yes and they dug out the boys files and said that they had offered the boys places by email which I never received "thanks AOL" but because I hadn't accepted them they had given the places away!!! I was devastated, but they interviewed us showed us around and the deputy head said that they would honour the offer and find both boys places.

If you want more info on the school please let me know, its very sporty though so if you don't want to have to do Saturday sports go elsewhere!!! Ours love sport so they are in their element. Be warned though it is as pricey as they tell you and that is only the start of it. Bur if ours do as well as they are doing at present though and get into the uni courses they want then it will be money well spent. Our eldest is at James cook uni up in Townsville doing Marine Biology, so if anyone needs info on uni entrance, again been there once and just about to start again with second son, but looks like he will stay in Melbourne at least, wants to be near his mates etc!!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 12:29 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
I note that there is NO state schools in your listing, people can save money if there kids are academic. tell people to look at Yr12 results with state against private, then they will get the true results.????
Thanks for noting that.

Read this properly to see what the thread is about:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...40&postcount=1

Read this to see some of my opinions:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...04&postcount=9
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

[

I do think that most kids can gain confidence where ever they are given the right environment & right teachers, & there are out there believe me.

arthur
Old Mar 8th 2007, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Yes - this is an old (as in longtime establishment) Melbourne approach....."which school did you go to?".

The old Sydney approach is "where do you live/did you grow up?".
This reminded me of something I have been thinking about for a while. Namely, that the different states of Austarlia are so diverse and could be thought of as akin to some of the states in America.

I know i'm going to get shot down for this but here's my suggestions:

Syndey - New York
Rest of New South Wales - Kansas
Melbourne - Boston
Victoria - 'New England'
Queensland - California
Northern Territories - Alaska
Western Australia - New Mexico
Old Mar 9th 2007, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

This reminded me of something I have been thinking about for a while. Namely, that the different states of Austarlia are so diverse and could be thought of as akin to some of the states in America.

I know i'm going to get shot down for this but here's my suggestions:

Syndey - New York
Rest of New South Wales - Kansas
Melbourne - Boston
Victoria - 'New England'
Queensland - California
Northern Territories - Alaska
Western Australia - New Mexico
Interesting concept - I tend to agree.....but where's Tasmania? That'd be more like New England.

And did you know that the AVERAGE age of a mum giving birth in New Mexico is 16!?! I'm sure that WA is not quite like that
Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Interesting concept - I tend to agree.....but where's Tasmania? That'd be more like New England.

And did you know that the AVERAGE age of a mum giving birth in New Mexico is 16!?! I'm sure that WA is not quite like that
Oops, sorry Tassie (especially since I can't wait to visit you).

Must admit I have very limited knowledge of the U.S - what would you compare W.A. to ?
Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Oops, sorry Tassie (especially since I can't wait to visit you).

Must admit I have very limited knowledge of the U.S - what would you compare W.A. to ?
I'm not sure - I've actually never been to WA, but I would have thought that NM was a fair call.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 1:57 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Plenty of really good state schools...and don't forget the scholarship route, if you'd really like to send them to private...
Hi Shakmaty - do you know which of the state schools are good?
When it comes down to it if we have to cut back a bit to pay for a private school then we will. We wouldn't be able to afford an expensive private school though.