Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne houses for auction, how much?

Melbourne houses for auction, how much?

Old Aug 31st 2007, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

TELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the roughTELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the roughTELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the roughTELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Melbourne houses for auction, how much?

Hi all,
apologies if this question has been done to death and I've missed it.

We've been looking at properties for sale on-line but are unfamiliar with auctions. The estate agents give an estimated price in their guide. Is this a realistic price or is it set low to encourage interest? (For example, in some cities in Scotland you have to offer 20-25% over the asking price to get your house.)

Any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks,
TA
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne houses for auction, how much?

Virtually every unit that we followed online in the Lower North Shore in Sydney went for about 20% above the agent's "estimate" (in fact, the one we bought went for 20% over to the penny!). I don't know whether that is normal countrywide or just applied in a small area of Sydney though, things in Melbourne might be completely different.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

shaton is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say at present you could expect 30-40%, possibly more. The house we bought when for over 35% more than the listed price.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

TELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the roughTELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the roughTELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the roughTELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys, that's really helpful. Housing markets can be difficult.

TA
Old Sep 1st 2007, 3:44 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I've just come back from an aution that we bid at - I know the area well, I know what properties have sold for in the area, what condition they were in, yet there was a bidding war and this just pushed the selling price ridiculously above the REA guide, reserve (which IMO was on the high side anyway), and more than better properties recently sold in the area.

You can't just apply a certain %, as different REA have different approaches, vendors expectation with prices and level of competition when you turn up at the auction, with people whom just keep bidding higher appearing to forget any max bid they might have set beforehand.

Note that regulations vary from state to state & my experience is in NSW
Old Sep 1st 2007, 5:03 am
Just Joined

Tellyaddict,

You can see what's for sale by post code here:
http://www.domain.com.au/?s_rid=theage:topnav

You can set various criteria including accommodation type, price range, etc.

On Wednesday evening here Melbourne time you can find out what things sold for, here:
http://www.homepriceguide.com.au/sat...rne_domain.pdf

You can then guage how much more (or less) property is going for. In some cases prices are not quoted (both before and after the sale), but you can find out a price by setting different ranges on for sale searches and on some agents' web sites, eg Jellis Craig, they will show comparison properties that give the selling price.

I could write a lot more about the whole process, we have recent experience of specific suburbs in Melbourne, but this would be off topic of this thread - maybe covered elsewhere.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 9:12 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

This is quite helpful regarding what to do:
http://www.jenman.com.au/BS_Auctions.php#Auction2
J x
Old Sep 1st 2007, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shaton
Tellyaddict,

You can see what's for sale by post code here:
http://www.domain.com.au/?s_rid=theage:topnav

You can set various criteria including accommodation type, price range, etc.

On Wednesday evening here Melbourne time you can find out what things sold for, here:
http://www.homepriceguide.com.au/sat...rne_domain.pdf

You can then guage how much more (or less) property is going for. In some cases prices are not quoted (both before and after the sale), but you can find out a price by setting different ranges on for sale searches and on some agents' web sites, eg Jellis Craig, they will show comparison properties that give the selling price.

I could write a lot more about the whole process, we have recent experience of specific suburbs in Melbourne, but this would be off topic of this thread - maybe covered elsewhere.
Hi, that's great, thanks.

You may live to regret that! Expect me to pick you brains at regular intervals.

TA
Old Sep 1st 2007, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
J x

You're a star, thanks
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 5:37 am
Just Joined

J x
I would agree with most of this, in particular tell the agents NOTHING, don't tell them what you're interested in, where you're looking, what your budget is - NOTHING. They act for the "vendor" (read seller in the UK), don't take advice from them and find the properties you want through the net, not ones they tell you about (assuming you're here).

If you're doing this remotely you need a buyer's advocate, they act for you, know the "game" inside out and will guide you through all the pitfalls.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:35 am
Just Joined

here's a recent article that gives a pretty good overview of buying a house at auction:
http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Arti...heage:Homepage
Old Sep 13th 2007, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again shaton
I hadn't considered pre-auction offers
Have some karma
TA
Old Sep 14th 2007, 3:04 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

J x
That is a very, VERY useful website. Very interesting reading.

Thanks for the link.

Graham
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

railman2404 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northerner
That is a very, VERY useful website. Very interesting reading.

Thanks for the link.

Graham
very good information thanks
Old Nov 28th 2007, 7:02 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by louie
Virtually every unit that we followed online in the Lower North Shore in Sydney went for about 20% above the agent's "estimate" (in fact, the one we bought went for 20% over to the penny!). I don't know whether that is normal countrywide or just applied in a small area of Sydney though, things in Melbourne might be completely different.
Correct. That has also been reconfirmed in the latest findings.

Auction ads hammered
November 29, 2007
http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...036983567.html

A survey of 378 auction results by The Age found that over the past two weekends, the difference between the advertised and final sale price was, on average, 20.7%, despite laws protecting consumers from underquoting and misleading conduct. The latest survey follows six weeks of surveys by The Age in April and May, which found similar results. Then, the average difference was 21.2%.