British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   melbourne a good choice ????????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/melbourne-good-choice-434696/)

tonycannell Mar 14th 2007 9:57 pm

melbourne a good choice ?????????

to all looking at emigrating to melbourne a good choice or not . as a class 1 hgv driver hope so

stevensfamily Mar 14th 2007 10:07 pm

Re: melbourne a good choice ?????????

Originally Posted by tonycannell (Post 4519259)
to all looking at emigrating to melbourne a good choice or not . as a class 1 hgv driver hope so

Great choice in my opinion its a beautiful city and Victoria is not named the garden state for nothing its green rolling hills are beautiful. The weather is great as well, yes its not as hot as other places in Oz but remember you have to work, you are not on holiday so having a varied climate can be an advantage.

Basically no one can choose for you but melbourne is for my family we love it.

Cheryl

chrisandvee Mar 14th 2007 10:17 pm

I would say that you couldnt fail to be impresed with any of the major cities in oz. Each state and city have there very own charms! Perth being my favourite.

mark213 Mar 15th 2007 2:50 am

Originally Posted by tonycannell (Post 4519259)

Depends on what you are wanting from Aussie life. Each city is different and generally stereotyped. Perth for example is more laid back country sorta feel, melbourne more cultural, sydney quite urban. All you can do is try. I am living in Perth and working in Melbourne. Melbourne is busy, lively and energetic, whereas I go back to Perth to relax as its much quieter.

glazfolk Mar 15th 2007 4:35 am

If I had to live in a mainland capital city, Melbourne would be my first choice. It would also be my second. Oh, and probably my thitd as well.

By the way, did I forget to mention that Melbourne's a great place? ;)

pippin lara Mar 16th 2007 8:14 am

We picked Melbourne because we already had friends based here and because, when we researched into it, Melbourne seemed to be the most suited to us. The weather is much better than Scotland obviously, but I don't think the heat is as humid as some of the other areas. I think a very humid spot woul be too draining.

It's very brown in Mel just now, although it rained today for a bit.

We're down on the Mornington Peninsula and only really have experiences of that area, which are all positive (except maybe the flies).

David

stevensfamily Mar 16th 2007 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by pippin lara (Post 4524459)
We picked Melbourne because we already had friends based here and because, when we researched into it, Melbourne seemed to be the most suited to us. The weather is much better than Scotland obviously, but I don't think the heat is as humid as some of the other areas. I think a very humid spot woul be too draining.

It's very brown in Mel just now, although it rained today for a bit.

We're down on the Mornington Peninsula and only really have experiences of that area, which are all positive (except maybe the flies).

David

David,

I cannot tell you how much my hubby hates flies (and they love him). He has stated that he cannot live in Oz if the flies are too much. How bad are they on Mornington Pen as that is where we hope to live. I must say that I thought they would not be as bad by the sea,

Cheryl

Kapri Mar 16th 2007 8:18 pm

I can't wait to get to Melbourne. :)
I've even started watching Neighbours so I can get a glimpse of it :blink:

jmc Mar 16th 2007 8:37 pm

Hi
We are moving out to mornington as soon as we manage to sell property,we visited last year and loved it.

Louise x

jad n rich Mar 16th 2007 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by stevensfamily (Post 4525622)
David,

I cannot tell you how much my hubby hates flies (and they love him). He has stated that he cannot live in Oz if the flies are too much. How bad are they on Mornington Pen as that is where we hope to live. I must say that I thought they would not be as bad by the sea,

Cheryl

Lived there for 3 months in winter, cool, damp and grey a lot of the time and never noticed a single fly. Went back in december whoaa! yes victoria melb definately gets flies, the sort that get into your ears eyes nose etc.

Dont expect too much green, they have had a hot dry summer and its brown as brown, its often brown in summer but as you fly in now its incredibly brown for as far as you can see.

Its a nice city, bit of variety, very multi racial, huge variety of housing, main problem we have with it now is if you want to live anywhere inner city (not outer burbs with the dreaded commute) is the price! of property, inner city seems to have caught up with sydney prices:eek:

Neil S Mar 16th 2007 10:01 pm

Don't think the flies have been as bad this year as previous years. Could be due to the extremely dry weather. Besides good swatters are only 59 cents from Safeway.