Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne: good car rentals?

Melbourne: good car rentals?

Old Feb 27th 2004, 8:01 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Melbourne: good car rentals?

Can anyone recommend a good value, reliable (!) rental car outfit in Melbourne?

Although the public transport is rumored to be wonderful , I think we'll need a car for some of our upcoming validation/sussing-out trip.

All info much appreciated!

TIA,
Anya.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

gary2rep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne: good car rentals?

Originally posted by anya4oz
Can anyone recommend a good value, reliable (!) rental car outfit in Melbourne?

Although the public transport is rumored to be wonderful , I think we'll need a car for some of our upcoming validation/sussing-out trip.

All info much appreciated!

TIA,
Anya.
Try Budget, we used them last year (Dandenong, although premises throughout Australia) and were great as well as the cheapest.
Best of luck
Gary
Old Feb 27th 2004, 10:56 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Yeah Budget is probably best, public transport is ok until you get to outer suburbs ( beyond the tram line ) then its not so good. Enjoy your trip though, its the best city in the world.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne: good car rentals?

Originally posted by gary2rep
Try Budget, we used them last year (Dandenong, although premises throughout Australia) and were great as well as the cheapest.
Best of luck
Gary
There are at least a dozen Budget rental places in Melbourne - including CBD, inner suburbs and airport. Website lists them all

Airport rentals normally carry a surcharge - this can add up quite a bit over a week or 2 - so if consdidering picking car up at airport ask about additional costs. Might be otherwise worth getting SkyBus to CBD and picking up car there, taxi, or taking a one-day rental from the airport and then swapping it for one from another branch.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 7:15 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Thanks for that info, folks!

Budget are pretty good here in the Uk, too, so look like a good choice for Melbourne.

Yes, we had planned to stay in a fairly central aparthotel & get a taxi into town to begin with, in any case (I'm not too good at driving straight after 25 hours traveling!).

Can you tell me - is it cheaper to rent once we're over there, rather than booking it from here in UK? I assume it is - it worked out *much* cheaper getting my friend in NZ to book the car from there.

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

Might want to get a quote from another company. We got a good deal on a Focus for two weeks in QLD with Europcar. Very good on fuel I have to say.