Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne: Glen and Mount Waverley - anyone there?!

Melbourne: Glen and Mount Waverley - anyone there?!

Old Oct 10th 2004, 7:57 am
Australia since 09/2001

Location: Chichester > Wellington 04/00 > Melbourne 09/01 > Perth 12/06
natmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nice
Question Melbourne: Glen and Mount Waverley - anyone there?!

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone's already in Glen or Mount Waverley other than me (Mt. Wav'), or, if anyone's planning on heading out this way any time soon?

And if any of you ARE over this way, is it just me or is there the most ridiculous amount of bees buzzing around? We keep driving through swarms of the things.

NatMcG
Old Oct 10th 2004, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Melbourne: Glen and Mount Waverley - anyone there?!

How bizarre that you should mention the swarms of bees.

We were sitting on the decking this afternoon when we heard this funny noise. Him outdoors suddenly points to this black cloud and the sound was from a huge swarm of bees.

Luckily they moved away from the house, but it was quite scary, as they can move so quickly.

We live in North Croydon so I wonder if it's a common occurance for this time of year (don't remember it in previous years!!)

Regards
Old Oct 10th 2004, 8:09 am
Australia since 09/2001

natmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nice

We live in North Croydon so I wonder if it's a common occurance for this time of year (don't remember it in previous years!!)

Nope, nor me and we've been here over 3 now. I've not really noticed bees at all before to be honest. I keep finding dead ones in the house so they're getting in somewhere. Earlier today, from our upstairs bathroom I heard an intense buzzing sound and thought to myself 'hmm, that doesn't sound good'. I went outside to see what was going on and there was a cloud of bees swarming around part of our roof. This evening, since the wind has got up a bit, they seem to have more or less disappeared although a few lurk on. Last week a swarm were the other side of the house. And the week before that we drove through a swarm on our way into the city (around Toorak Rd - probably Glen Iris way from memory). Very very strange...
Old Oct 10th 2004, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi natmcg
changing the subject-
after chatting to friends about secondary schools in Melb. someone suggested a secondary school in "Mount Waverley secondary college ", it is meant to have a good reputation for performing arts, I couldn't find a web site for it, only one for Glen Waverley secondary. Can you throw any light on it, have you heard of it? (the company hubby works for here in Uk has its HQ in Mount Waverley thats why I'm having a look at it)
thanks
Helen
Old Oct 10th 2004, 10:25 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by helinuk
Hi natmcg
changing the subject-
after chatting to friends about secondary schools in Melb. someone suggested a secondary school in "Mount Waverley secondary college ", it is meant to have a good reputation for performing arts, I couldn't find a web site for it, only one for Glen Waverley secondary. Can you throw any light on it, have you heard of it? (the company hubby works for here in Uk has its HQ in Mount Waverley thats why I'm having a look at it)
thanks
Helen

www.mwsc.vic.edu.au/

Try that one Helen.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
www.mwsc.vic.edu.au/

Try that one Helen.
Thanks Bordy-
the person who recommended it said the school performing arts was "awesome" That didn't come across on the website.?
Old Oct 10th 2004, 11:15 pm
Australia since 09/2001

Originally Posted by helinuk
Thanks Bordy-
the person who recommended it said the school performing arts was "awesome" That didn't come across on the website.?
Someone's beaten me to giving the website link! I'm not aware of Mount Waverley Secondary College having an especially good performing arts section. The neighbour's daughter went there though so I will ask her.

Actually Mount Waverely S.C. was burnt to the ground (or a large part of it anyway) comparatively recently - arson was suspected. Temporary huts were in use for quite some time. I believe the school has now reopened with a whole lot of brand new facitilies - which of course they'd have to be!

As for reputations (arts or otherwise), Glen Waverley S.C. has an extremely good one. House prices around those areas 'zoned' to Glen Waverley Secondary command a premium as parents are keen to get their children in to that school. Mount Waverley is also said to be good but hasn't the same high reputation that I'm aware of.

NatMcG
Old Oct 11th 2004, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by natmcg
Someone's beaten me to giving the website link! I'm not aware of Mount Waverley Secondary College having an especially good performing arts section. The neighbour's daughter went there though so I will ask her.

Actually Mount Waverely S.C. was burnt to the ground (or a large part of it anyway) comparatively recently - arson was suspected. Temporary huts were in use for quite some time. I believe the school has now reopened with a whole lot of brand new facitilies - which of course they'd have to be!

As for reputations (arts or otherwise), Glen Waverley S.C. has an extremely good one. House prices around those areas 'zoned' to Glen Waverley Secondary command a premium as parents are keen to get their children in to that school. Mount Waverley is also said to be good but hasn't the same high reputation that I'm aware of.

NatMcG
natmcg
thank you for this info - I'd read in the age about the fire, I wonder where my friend got the impression the performing arts was good?
Many thanks for your info on the school and houses.
H.