Reload this Page >

Melbourne-first accomodation and forum

Melbourne-first accomodation and forum

Old May 10th 2007, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Nick to Oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne-first accomodation and forum

Hi,
now that we decided moving to Melbourne for a start, I would like to know how you arranged your first accomodation.
We're thinking about getting something fully equipped for the first four weeks, then paper stuff, car, job and rent a house.
So far so good, to keep expenses low, we're thinking about renting a cabin, I read that some of you did it that way. I was smashed by the rates (often about $100 per night, big4 and so on) and am seeking for hints finding something more economic (200 per week, e.g. 1 bedroom for the little and us sleeping on the sofa) without being some 100k from CBD and without having a dump and same neighborhood Any ideas???
Pitty that Melbourne doesn't offer OAA as Adelaide but you can't expect everything...

Next I was wondering, if you British Expats do have a Melbourne specific forum as Adelaidebrits???

Without bootlicking I have to admit that I prefer your forums than the German, just more friendly and goal orientated, less bitchy and negativ. Nobody has to tell me / us that this is a big step with lots of backstrokes and that DU the grass isn't greener (indeed it's lot's browner currently ), but if someone has a dream it's fair enough to give it a try, right?

Thanks for any response
Andy
Old May 10th 2007, 8:41 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne-first accomodation and forum

Originally Posted by Nick to Oz
Hi,
now that we decided moving to Melbourne for a start, I would like to know how you arranged your first accomodation.
We're thinking about getting something fully equipped for the first four weeks, then paper stuff, car, job and rent a house.
So far so good, to keep expenses low, we're thinking about renting a cabin, I read that some of you did it that way. I was smashed by the rates (often about $100 per night, big4 and so on) and am seeking for hints finding something more economic (200 per week, e.g. 1 bedroom for the little and us sleeping on the sofa) without being some 100k from CBD and without having a dump and same neighborhood Any ideas???
Pitty that Melbourne doesn't offer OAA as Adelaide but you can't expect everything...

Next I was wondering, if you British Expats do have a Melbourne specific forum as Adelaidebrits???

Without bootlicking I have to admit that I prefer your forums than the German, just more friendly and goal orientated, less bitchy and negativ. Nobody has to tell me / us that this is a big step with lots of backstrokes and that DU the grass isn't greener (indeed it's lot's browner currently ), but if someone has a dream it's fair enough to give it a try, right?

Thanks for any response
Andy
http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...hp?showforum=1

Hi Andy

Come visit us at BritVics and funny enough the guy you need to chat too is Andy....Andy Thomas.

You have chosen a lovely city
Old May 10th 2007, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Nick to Oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...hp?showforum=1

Hi Andy

Come visit us at BritVics and funny enough the guy you need to chat too is Andy....Andy Thomas.

You have chosen a lovely city
Cheers mate,
thanks heeps for the link,
got to know Melbourne in '98 for 9 months trainee period, lived in North Brighton (could have been worse haha), so hopefuly things haven't changed that bad...
Who's the other Andy, for accident another German???
Old May 10th 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Cheers mate,
got to know Melbourne in '98 for 9 months trainee period, lived in North Brighton (could have been worse haha), so hopefuly things haven't changed that bad...
Hi,

For furnished longer term accommodation you could look at the following www.stayz.com.au they have loads of furnished houses for around $75 a night some further out are cheaper and if off season you could negotiate a good rate for longer term most allow up to 54 nights.

Cheryl
Old May 11th 2007, 7:01 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers mate,
You name it he has done it
Builder, chicken farmer, has a few houses he rents out to brits (being one himself). You will find other brits on the advertising side who are renting out grannie flats etc which you might find useful. Most are based around the mornington area.
Old May 11th 2007, 10:07 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

We rented a cabin in Frankston at the Big4 (www.big4.com.au) - it was clean and simple but fine for glorified camping.

There's a picture of it here -

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...olidaypark.jpg

Buzzy
Old May 11th 2007, 8:11 pm
Has left the building

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
We rented a cabin in Frankston at the Big4 (www.big4.com.au) - it was clean and simple but fine for glorified camping.

There's a picture of it here -

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c3...olidaypark.jpg

Buzzy
Simon the one Mags stayed in recently (and Paul and family) in my opinion was much better (and alot cheaper). If you weren't already organised with accomodation I would recommend getting hold of Mags (margaret3) for details.
Old May 11th 2007, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

chmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura about

Simon the one Mags stayed in recently (and Paul and family) in my opinion was much better (and alot cheaper). If you weren't already organised with accomodation I would recommend getting hold of Mags (margaret3) for details.

I wouldnt mind having a look at that - new to this forum so if you do find it can you post the link pls - not going to oct - cricket to play here!
Old May 11th 2007, 8:43 pm
Has left the building

Originally Posted by chmaiden
I wouldnt mind having a look at that - new to this forum so if you do find it can you post the link pls - not going to oct - cricket to play here!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443872

Why not PM Margaret directly she can give you the run down on costs etc.

It was called Crystal Brook Holiday Centre Ref F3 34 of the Melways - location Doncaster East (north east Warrandyte)

Exit the South Eastern Motorway at Blackburn road, travel due north until you hit the end. Turn right and its about half a mile on the right hand side.
Old May 11th 2007, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

chmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura about

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443872

Why not PM Margaret directly she can give you the run down on costs etc.

It was called Crystal Brook Holiday Centre Ref F3 34 of the Melways - location Doncaster East (north east Warrandyte)

Exit the South Eastern Motorway at Blackburn road, travel due north until you hit the end. Turn right and its about half a mile on the right hand side.
cheers mate - couldnt figure out how to get her contact!
Old May 12th 2007, 4:09 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate - I'm glad we're not staying in a Big4 in July though! Bbbbrrrr smiley.

Buzzy