Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne East/West Link Lib's Cost Taxpayers

Melbourne East/West Link Lib's Cost Taxpayers

Old Dec 18th 2014, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne East/West Link Lib's Cost Taxpayers

Some may find it not a little despicable the antics of the former Liberal Government in Victoria.

It has been shown that they failed to follow due process in the so named East/West Link, then hastily proceeded to sign up contracts on the project in order to beat the election dateline.

Victorian taxpayers left to pick up the tab, either through proceeding with the project (to which they campaigned against going ahead as part of election manifesto) or providing financial compensation to the consortium signed to building the road/tunnel.

Another blatant disregard to transparency and accountability and disregard to the public purse. Just a shame it can't be taken from Liberal Party funds.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne East/West Link Lib's Cost Taxpayers

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Some may find it not a little despicable the antics of the former Liberal Government in Victoria.

It has been shown that they failed to follow due process in the so named East/West Link, then hastily proceeded to sign up contracts on the project in order to beat the election dateline.

Victorian taxpayers left to pick up the tab, either through proceeding with the project (to which they campaigned against going ahead as part of election manifesto) or providing financial compensation to the consortium signed to building the road/tunnel.

Another blatant disregard to transparency and accountability and disregard to the public purse. Just a shame it can't be taken from Liberal Party funds.
Don't let it bug you. The tax payer will be coughing up for the failings of the last labour fed govt for a long time to come. Or if state politics is your thing, the come to NSW and see how its done properly
Old Dec 20th 2014, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The Liberals big excuse for going ahead with this and chucking money around was the supposed White Elephant of the Desal plant.... Well, I've got a strong hunch that Desal plant will be needed within 30 months. It's slowly but surely getting drier again.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 10:58 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Don't let it bug you. The tax payer will be coughing up for the failings of the last labour fed govt for a long time to come. Or if state politics is your thing, the come to NSW and see how its done properly
You're a businessy type of person - take a look at the business plan:

East West Link Files | Premier of Victoria

and tell me it's not a steaming pile of cr*p and maladministration to have gone ahead with it. Hell, the developer seems to have accepted no risk at all, the utility is terrible, with dependence on other (unfunded) programmes to get any return the risk of white elephant is near certainty.

Frankly if I'd seen that put forward as a business case I'd have laughed, then sacked the idiot responsible for wasting money. Sorting out the lack of a rail link from the airport is the obvious highest priority, followed by doubling up the roads coming from the west (since that's where all the building is happening). If you want to put in a tunnel, then a more southerly route, skirting the north of the CBD (within interchanges) and the docks before hitting the West Gate makes much more sense.

And my understanding is WestConnex is as bad. The business case and RoI are horrible.

Pink Batts are a model of sense and financial probity in comparison.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
You're a businessy type of person - take a look at the business plan:

East West Link Files | Premier of Victoria

and tell me it's not a steaming pile of cr*p and maladministration to have gone ahead with it. Hell, the developer seems to have accepted no risk at all, the utility is terrible, with dependence on other (unfunded) programmes to get any return the risk of white elephant is near certainty.

Frankly if I'd seen that put forward as a business case I'd have laughed, then sacked the idiot responsible for wasting money. Sorting out the lack of a rail link from the airport is the obvious highest priority, followed by doubling up the roads coming from the west (since that's where all the building is happening). If you want to put in a tunnel, then a more southerly route, skirting the north of the CBD (within interchanges) and the docks before hitting the West Gate makes much more sense.

And my understanding is WestConnex is as bad. The business case and RoI are horrible.

Pink Batts are a model of sense and financial probity in comparison.
I think its odd when Western Australians have a moan about Victorian liberal politics. Clearly another agenda here.

For what its worth West Connex is good. If only to get all the rubbish of Parramatta Road. Its already providing lots of business activities. West Connex is one of many good infrastructure projects in the pipe for Sydney.

They do need to look further a field though. High speed transport to the 'Gong, Central Coast and Newcastle.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing odd about commenting on another states flawed politicians. Anyway the offending party got the kick in the nuts well deserved. Hopefully the new lot have learnt more transparent and open government and don't continue to treat tax payers as mugs.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 11:53 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I think its odd when Western Australians have a moan about Victorian liberal politics. Clearly another agenda here.
Have to agree.

For what its worth West Connex is good. If only to get all the rubbish of Parramatta Road. Its already providing lots of business activities. West Connex is one of many good infrastructure projects in the pipe for Sydney.
Damning report into WestConnex motorway released by NSW auditor-general
One of the main criticisms made by the auditor-general is that the same people responsible for designing and delivering the project – Infrastructure NSW first and then the WestConnex Delivery Authority – have been responsible for reviewing the project.
The NSW Roads Minister, Duncan Gay, immediately rejected the criticism. Mr Gay said: "We respectfully disagree, we have followed world best practice on procurement and delivery and it complied with the processes set by cabinet."

...our analysis found that the project is still likely to have a positive benefit-cost ratio
Well hoo-f**king-ray ! Confidence abounds, the planning, historically the most rosy of docs, done by those designing the thing, thinks they might have a positive cost-benefit?

They do need to look further a field though. High speed transport to the 'Gong, Central Coast and Newcastle.
Truly high speed rail up the east coast is one of those no brainers that they should have been working on for decades now. First put the money into working out how to do it cheap, then do it, then sell the technology/capability worldwide.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So any comment regarding politics on a wider intrastate or indeed international level on politicians of any colour then must have an alternative agenda then?
At least going on comments raised or agreed on in this thread.

I've another take. How about bad and corrupt politics is but that and tackled for what it is in the globalised world we inhabit rather than being 'suspect' for airing comment out od area?
Old Dec 21st 2014, 1:19 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by the troubadour
So any comment regarding politics on a wider intrastate or indeed international level on politicians of any colour then must have an alternative agenda then?
At least going on comments raised or agreed on in this thread.
Just sounds from your posts like you have an axe to grind.

I've no great liking for the ousted 'libs' in Victoria myself, nor for that matter the new Labor lot, who I fear are going to be more placeholders. However I wouldn't know who was the premier of WA, and only comment on QLD because campbell newman is a class A1, gold-plated, a***hole who deserves a prison cell. None of the Victorian politicos are anything like as bad.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm a bit of a political junkie I'm afraid having a keen interest on most things economic, it is somewhat necessary to be aware and attempt to keep up with what is happening at home and abroad.

Not sure about an axe to grind as I hold both main parties in low regard ,but do like to bring to the attention Liberals mismanagement as the often cited mantra is that party is the one od economic accountability and transparency and good house keeping where the reality is something different.