Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne-Doubts...

Melbourne-Doubts...

Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:33 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne-Doubts...

Was all excited about my imminent move to Melbourne-obviously I dont expect things to be perfect but a couple of today's posts have made me feel really sorry for the posters and worried for the rest of us who've yet to arrive. What with the real house prices proving much higher than the web indicated (this is after all, all we have to go on whilst still in uk!) & months without a job as uk qualifications useless - thought it was meant to be the 2nd best global city to live in?
Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Melbourne-Doubts...

Originally Posted by JoolsB
Was all excited about my imminent move to Melbourne-obviously I dont expect things to be perfect but a couple of today's posts have made me feel really sorry for the posters and worried for the rest of us who've yet to arrive. What with the real house prices proving much higher than the web indicated (this is after all, all we have to go on whilst still in uk!) & months without a job as uk qualifications useless - thought it was meant to be the 2nd best global city to live in?
it would be best to take what is posted on this site with a large pich of salt.
there is a lot good info, but just as much crap.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

For every one post that is about someone struggling there is probably 3 or 4 people that don't post their positive experience. So whilst that post is true for that poster it's not true for someone else.

That's why there is always disagreements on here.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

by the way we live near melbourne. can i help with something
Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:46 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert cowan
by the way we live near melbourne. can i help with something
Thanks all for making me feel better!

Would be lovely to hear some positive posts of Melbourne immis!
Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:49 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Your UK quals probably aren't useless at all. You probably just need to get them verified. There is a federal agency that does this for a cost, I'm just not aware of their URL so you will need to do a search on www.ninemsn.com.au or something.Make sure you select the Australia search not the world one.

Property prices are a lot better in melb than perth(now the most expensive city in OZ) I have a 2005/06 melbourne suburbs rating file in PDF format. If you want a copy PM me your email address.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

what part of melbourne are you looking at and would you be working in the cbd.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:52 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

i don't know anything about melbourne
but i think it is safe to say that most people who have a positive out look are not spending too much time here on the internet.
come with an open mind and relish what you have on any given day weather you are over here or over there. take care
Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:52 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Elsternwick, Melbourne ...and have been here for two and a half years.

Absolutely love living here....am realistic enough not to wear Rose-tinted spectacles, and am aware of imperfection...as you will find everywhere - but I still get a kick out of living here.

I can see a big city may not suit everyone, and perhaps they would be better suited to a smaller city like Perth or Brisbane, or alternatively out even further in the country - but also some people write a load of crap...generally based on a narrow-minded attitude, or little experience....
Old Jun 17th 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

We can give you positive vibes
We think the CBD is fantastic, our village is lovely and beautiful (though 45 mins out). We have made great, supportive friends and my OH has had no trouble finding work for a higher salary than he had in the UK.
There is heaps to do and many wonderful places to visit.
I really must do an update soon as we've now been here 16 months.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 12:38 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Dont mistake grumbles with estate agents and inner city prices with Melbourne generally.

So you live outside and commute in? its a wonderful city and state to move too.

There are places still affordable to all budgets but like all places its about compromise. Going into this immigration journey you need to be aware of all or most of the facts as possible.

Don't be disheartened be enriched.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:49 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

This site can really give you the heebie jeebies at times.
Just as you feel positive about your move you'll read someone's bad experience and think 'what am I doing?'
Still it could go very smoothly for us - you have to be optimistic
Old Jun 18th 2007, 6:13 am
South Yarra Sheila

Thanks everyone for your uplifting words of reassurance

I'm planning to live Eltham area which I have been told is lovely but no job to go to-currently a property manager in uk-but I think that in Aus you need a whole string of qualifications (unlike uk where anyone with a strong disposition can do it!)-I would much rather do something new anyway-but it can be daunting knowing that you cant even get a job in your usual field to tide you over.

I'm sure everything will go swimmingly!-just had one of those "moments".

Cheers
Jools
Old Jun 18th 2007, 6:25 am
South Yarra Sheila

Originally Posted by robert cowan
what part of melbourne are you looking at and would you be working in the cbd.
Hi Looking at living in Eltham area as not too far from CBD and from what I hear is very pretty..I was hoping to buy a 3 bed house outright for around the $350K mark-but after hearing reports that prices are going crazy with places fetching up to 100K more than listed prices I panicked a little...

Not sure where I'd be working yet-CBD would be great but am open to anywhere I can get to by train!-but needs to be part time as I have 2 dogs who cant be left alone all day...am I right in thinking there are quite a few part time jobs available?? I have certainly seen more in the Aus job papers than in UK.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

chmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura about

Hi Looking at living in Eltham area as not too far from CBD and from what I hear is very pretty..I was hoping to buy a 3 bed house outright for around the $350K mark-but after hearing reports that prices are going crazy with places fetching up to 100K more than listed prices I panicked a little...

Not sure where I'd be working yet-CBD would be great but am open to anywhere I can get to by train!-but needs to be part time as I have 2 dogs who cant be left alone all day...am I right in thinking there are quite a few part time jobs available?? I have certainly seen more in the Aus job papers than in UK.
hey JoolsB - we are looking at Eltham as well (although I dont think that I will ever get used to calling it "ell-thumb" - will be moving over in end of sept. no job either and whilst worried also excited (although I hate going through the pain that recruitment agencies put you through (why are they soooo rubbish!)
chin up - we are scared and excited and just cant wait to leave and give it a go!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.