Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In Melbourne, Considering Brisbane

In Melbourne, Considering Brisbane

Old Sep 17th 2007, 4:47 am
Just Joined

dino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nice
Default In Melbourne, Considering Brisbane

Hey all,

I have read this for years, but this is my first post.

Moved from London to Melbourne 5 years ago with OH and have never looked back

The only thing we dont like in Melbourne is the cold winter, and we are thinking of relocating to Brisbane. Everyone in Melb says the summers there are unbearably humid, whats it really like Brisbanites?

Is Brissie summer worse than Melbourne winter?
Old Sep 17th 2007, 5:42 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In Melbourne, Considering Brisbane

This will be my 3rd Brisbane summer and the previous two I didnt find to bad at all. Certainly not the humidity that I was expecting except for the odd few days during the height of summer.

Originally Posted by dino_emu
Hey all,

The only thing we dont like in Melbourne is the cold winter, and we are thinking of relocating to Brisbane. Everyone in Melb says the summers there are unbearably humid, whats it really like Brisbanites?

Old Sep 17th 2007, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all,

Not summer yet, but about 30, early spring.

Yes brisbane mid summer is usually humid, the last 2 summers didnt get the normal ( its sub tropical ) rainfall, hence not much humidity and temps were lowish too, one summer a year or two before that was awful, mid 30's and humidity for quite a few months. But thats not all year just summer and with climate change anyones guess if the summer rains/storms will return this year. One thing too, bonus, no where near the amount of flies you get in many parts of melbourne or perth for that matter.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 6:53 am
Banned

Aussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud of

I have had a few summers here and lately they dont seem to be as humid as when I came here in 2003. Friends and colleagues have said the same, due to the lack of rainfall summers just dont seem to be as humid.

It obviously makes a big difference where you want to live, the Western Suburbs are a lot hotter than right on the coast.

PS I went to Melbourne around the end of september a few years ago. Bloody hell it was cold. For me I would rather have the Weather Hot all the time as at least you acclimatize, whereas when its hot one day cold the next always seem to be too hot or too cold.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 6:54 am
Just Joined

dino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nicedino_emu is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: In Melbourne, Considering Brisbane

Less flies, really?

I had wondered why less of the houses in Brisbane / Sunshine Coast seem to have fly-screens.

In Melbourne summer, the flies seemed to get trapped inside the house (which the cats love!)
Old Sep 17th 2007, 6:58 am
Banned

Aussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud of

Less flies, really?

I had wondered why less of the houses in Brisbane / Sunshine Coast seem to have fly-screens.

In Melbourne summer, the flies seemed to get trapped inside the house (which the cats love!)
I have not seen a house in Brisbane that does not have fly screens

Maye because we get less flies we get more mozzies. Even got attacked by a Rhino Beetle last summer, I dont know who was more scare me or it.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Less flies, really?

You still get flies, the sort that come out when you get food out.

The sort you dont get bris + coasts are the 200 stuck to your shirt/back/nose/eyes sort, the little black ones that are attracted by your body fluids. Big difference really notice it if you leave this part of qld in summer and land in victoria, SA, WA etc.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 12:44 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all,

The first thing that I thought of when I reasd this is ...after living in Melbourne for 5 years, won't you miss all that Mel has to offer?...

Someone mentioned the Sunday Market ...in St Kilda ....don't forget there is a great little night-market on every summer ...Nov till March on a Thursday
Old Sep 18th 2007, 11:14 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

The sort you dont get bris + coasts are the 200 stuck to your shirt/back/nose/eyes sort, the little black ones that are attracted by your body fluids. Big difference really notice it if you leave this part of qld in summer and land in victoria, SA, WA etc.
Where did you find that in Perth Jad? I am curious because we've lived here for over 10 years and never been truly bothered by flies. Okay, we have fly season between about the end of Oct. through to beginning of Dec., then there are very few about. We get the mozzies & flying ants too like any hot climate does. I lived in Spain for awhile some years ago and it was the same there.

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
The first thing that I thought of when I reasd this is ...after living in Melbourne for 5 years, won't you miss all that Mel has to offer?...
Someone mentioned the Sunday Market ...in St Kilda ....don't forget there is a great little night-market on every summer ...Nov till March on a Thursday
We also have night markets here from Nov. to March. plus Sunday markets in various suburbs too, but they wouldn't keep me here. It will soon be the start of the open air concert season and already we have booked for three concerts. Wouldn't live in Q'land if I was paid to, but I wish we had chosen Victoria right from the start.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

why do you wish you had chosen victoria?
and why wouldnt you live in qld (if you paid to) ?
Old Sep 19th 2007, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Never noticed the flies that bad in Melbourne, maybe a few days a year. but even then wasn't swamped - I'd say they are the sort like you mention- flies around food.

Had that in WA on the coast once down near Albany.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:12 pm
Banned

NewOZ will become famous soon enoughNewOZ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Never noticed the flies that bad in Melbourne, maybe a few days a year. but even then wasn't swamped - I'd say they are the sort like you mention- flies around food.

Had that in WA on the coast once down near Albany.
what is the average max on summer?!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:15 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NewOZ
what is the average max on summer?!
Average about 30C ish ...can change from 20 to 40+ in a day!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:29 pm
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
Average about 30C ish ...can change from 20 to 40+ in a day!
you really should get a job with the Victorian tourist board!!

I know you failed the interview at the family planning clinic.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:33 pm
Australian Citizen

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
you really should get a job with the Victorian tourist board!!

I know you failed the interview at the family planning clinic.
You're not going to let me forget that are you....?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.