Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne commuting - a question

Melbourne commuting - a question

Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Default Melbourne commuting - a question

Just a quick question - what is the furthest anyone would live that they would consider to still be commutable into Melbourne CBD. We have been looking at house prices and you seem to get so much more house for your money the further away from the CBD you go but we wonder how far is considered commutable. We are specifically looking at the S.E. side.

Thanks
Sarah
Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:50 pm
off to Byron Bay....

loidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Melbourne commuting - a question

hi sarah, my folks live in mount eliza and dad commutes to the city, it takes around an hour....though the nepean highway winds him up as the limit is slow! i know that the train goes from frankston to the cbd and is hassle free,a lot of people use that so you could live anywhere around frankston and north of to use the train. mum and dad lived in patterson lakes first which is a fantastic place and nearer to the city...expensive to buy but quite reasonable rent. hope this helps x loidy
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:24 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Will you need to go into the city to work??

We are in Ferntree Gully which is an hour by train from Flinders St but neither of us work in the city so very rarely go in.

Not sure I'd like to be any further out than this though.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Most people would baulk at over a 1 hour commute each way; around or under acceptable. Depends whether you do it regularly and how you do it - I'd be prepared to commute for longer on the train. As suggested its basically Frankston'ish/FTG'ish and closer.

OzTennis
Old Jun 9th 2005, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Thanks everyone - we suspected as much about the long commute. We have family in the Cheltenham/Mentone area so will probably stick around there - it is just that you get a lot less house for your money - but we are going over for the outdoors lifestyle....
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:15 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
Thanks everyone - we suspected as much about the long commute. We have family in the Cheltenham/Mentone area so will probably stick around there - it is just that you get a lot less house for your money - but we are going over for the outdoors lifestyle....
Well you should rent for a year or so around Mentone area. That way you will get a feel for the area & see if it suits you or if there are other areas where you would prefer to settle.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:06 pm
Badge

My drive is between 50mins and an hour. I work just outside the CBD and I live further out than FTG - about 45k away from the CBD - which is only 27 miles.

I could do it quicker if I don't obey the speed limits(!)

Its just over an hour by train - doesn't bother me - I like the time to get a book etc.

I also mix and match - driving in late in the sunshine, returning late, traning it. This also means that the commute never comes boring, stressful or mudane.

At the end of the day it would take me more than an hour to commute in to London from an affordable rural location in the Uk so I count my blessings.

Badge