Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne commuting

Melbourne commuting

Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne commuting

The problem with Eltham, Diamond Creek, Hurstbridge, Greensborough and that enclave of very nice suburbs IMHO is that while it is not that far away as the crow flies, (we are far further) the winding railways and roads in the NE make the trip longer as long as we are.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:10 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne commuting

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
The problem with Eltham, Diamond Creek, Hurstbridge, Greensborough and that enclave of very nice suburbs IMHO is that while it is not that far away as the crow flies, (we are far further) the winding railways and roads in the NE make the trip longer as long as we are.
How long does it take you to get to the CBD Badge? Which part of the peninsula are you on again?

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Similar thing with Williamstown to the NE suburbs I guess. You'll see how close the CBD is across the bay from my photos but you have to go around the bay on the train (still only 20 mins) or across the bay on the WGB (slow at peak times).

OzTennis
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I dont know where people get their ideas from about the North being Grim and dire, and as for kids, I'll go hee in a game of tiggy (nice aussie expression that) if we dont have more facilities for kids around here, within 1000 metres or easy walking distance than any other part of Melbourne that you care to mention. We got the faclities courtesy of Bob Hawke, being our local MP, when he was PM, as a payoff for being an absent/busy MP

Coburg 18 mins to city by Train, about 15 mins by car on a quiet run, 25 mins when busy...

8 ks from the city, Longest shopping strip in australia. Sydney Rd.

Heres a couple of pictures from the park 150 metres down the road from me,... try this for inner city... The walk along the Merri Creek trail, stretches down to the Yarra, about 15 ks, and up past Craigieburn about 20 ks, so thats 35k's of interconnecting bike track, all along creeks and rivers. Nothing Dire about any of that.
Sorry OE, I didn't see your post before doing mine. There certainly is an anti north and west bias isn't there and we must do our best to redress the balance. In another thread we've mentioned the even closer in northern suburbs as well - Parkville, Carlton, Fitzroy etc. North Melbourne and Kensington are becoming more upmarket too as there is a definite move by many to be closer to the city.

How far from the 'bluestone college' (Pentridge) and say Bell St/Sydney Rd intersection are you? I used to know the area quite well as a former girlfriend came from Coburg and I used to play tennis at a few clubs in the area.

OzTennis
Old Feb 7th 2006, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Sorry OE, I didn't see your post before doing mine. There certainly is an anti north and west bias isn't there and we must do our best to redress the balance. In another thread we've mentioned the even closer in northern suburbs as well - Parkville, Carlton, Fitzroy etc. North Melbourne and Kensington are becoming more upmarket too as there is a definite move by many to be closer to the city.

How far from the 'bluestone college' (Pentridge) and say Bell St/Sydney Rd intersection are you? I used to know the area quite well as a former girlfriend came from Coburg and I used to play tennis at a few clubs in the area.

OzTennis
I live slap bag across the road from Pentridge, In Champ St, Within 150 metres of Drums hotel, the Famous st Where Ronald Ryan shot the warder all those years ago. Boy has this area changed since then, much to my own personal gain. The only downside now, is all the festivals they have at Coburg lake, causing parking problems for us.

Amedoza, mentioned Essendon, Aberfeldie, Strathmore, They are fantastic areas, I didn't mention those as I figured the average 600,000-800,000 plus house price would be starting to get beyond most new Migrants. Plenty of fully renovated double storey stand alone Victorian mansions down through the leafy streets of Essendon.

Marybyrnong, has some great properties that back on to the Marybyrnong river, Thats the same river the one sees when they watch the Melbourne cup.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I live slap bag across the road from Pentridge, In Champ St, Within 150 metres of Drums hotel, the Famous st Where Ronald Ryan shot the warder all those years ago. Boy has this area changed since then, much to my own personal gain. The only downside now, is all the festivals they have at Coburg lake, causing parking problems for us.

Amedoza, mentioned Essendon, Aberfeldie, Strathmore, They are fantastic areas, I didn't mention those as I figured the average 600,000-800,000 plus house price would be starting to get beyond most new Migrants. Plenty of fully renovated double storey stand alone Victorian mansions down through the leafy streets of Essendon.

Marybyrnong, has some great properties that back on to the Marybyrnong river, Thats the same river the one sees when they watch the Melbourne cup.
Interesting, I know pretty much exactly where you live. Yep, I remember the Ryan shooting (was young then of course!).

That other belt of suburbs you mentioned is highly desirable and I'd forgotten to mention them. My friend and his family rented in Essendon for a while in between their move from Mt Macedon to Williamstown and it was a great area - they were in Vida St from memory, quite close to the Maribyrnong
River and the big nursery on the corner. Their children were at secondary school and uni and they were ideally placed for everything.

OzTennis
Old Feb 7th 2006, 6:58 pm
Staying in BoxHill

chessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Where will u be working? CBD? Both are miles out.....Boxhill has a train and tram.Eltham? cant remember. Went to uni in Footscray with a guy who lived in Eltham...he drove and had to leave at least 90 mins before class started. That said, it was before the ring-road...
I will be working on Bourke Street so by Train sounds good. Not sure whether we can drive in as I do not remember seeing any carparks so therefore it would need to be train/tram (I think).
Old Feb 7th 2006, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chessp
I will be working on Bourke Street so by Train sounds good. Not sure whether we can drive in as I do not remember seeing any carparks so therefore it would need to be train/tram (I think).

Train should be less than 40 mins from Eltham, at a cost of circa 60 bucks per week, for zone 3 ticket, covering all trams and trains in Melbourne.

Oh and they pronounce Eltham differently here to the one in South East London.

instead of Elt.ham, its' elf.ham
Old Feb 7th 2006, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Interesting, I know pretty much exactly where you live. Yep, I remember the Ryan shooting (was young then of course!).

That other belt of suburbs you mentioned is highly desirable and I'd forgotten to mention them. My friend and his family rented in Essendon for a while in between their move from Mt Macedon to Williamstown and it was a great area - they were in Vida St from memory, quite close to the Maribyrnong
River and the big nursery on the corner. Their children were at secondary school and uni and they were ideally placed for everything.

OzTennis

Yehp Poyntons nursery I think it is, can have a cup of coffee and a cake, whilst you browse this very famous nursery. I know the Vida st area well, has a very famous Melbourne pub not too far from there that used to get flooded all the time....

Can you remember the name ?
Old Feb 7th 2006, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
How long does it take you to get to the CBD Badge? Which part of the peninsula are you on again?

Thanks

Buzzy
We are Melly SE, semi-rural. As far out as you can go without being isolated, without being on new builds, and still be in range of facilities. There are only a few places like this in Melbourne to the East, Diamond Creek is similar, I think. Others are too far away, or lack character or the uniqueness of the terrain.

I can do the drive off peak in 50mins, an hour by train. I can do it in 45 if I put my foot down on the last stretch of the new motorway but of course this is not advisable.
I can live with this as it would be the norm in the UK.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Brighton is nice, but make sure your neighbours aren't Italian!!

http://theage.com.au/news/national/s...074198687.html
Old Feb 8th 2006, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and they pronounce Eltham differently here to the one in South East London.

instead of Elt.ham, its' elf.ham
Hmmm not sure about that. We, including Aussie friend from uni who was born there, always call it Ell - thum.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Hmmm not sure about that. We, including Aussie friend from uni who was born there, always call it Ell - thum.

Yes thats what I meant when I used elf- ham, apologies I have trouble with my th sound, it goes hand in hand with originating from South london

Note to self, must place my tounge between my teeth when pronouncing the th sound, even on the Net...
Old Feb 8th 2006, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just on the pronounciation - I reckon the English say Elt m; the Aussies say Eltham and pronounce the h in th. Quite a few others amuse me eg Devonians say Lonston, Aussies say Lorn cess ton. Any others?

OzTennis
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:03 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne commuting

Just on the pronounciation - I reckon the English say Elt m; the Aussies say Eltham and pronounce the h in th. Quite a few others amuse me eg Devonians say Lonston, Aussies say Lorn cess ton. Any others?

OzTennis
Melbourne / Melbnn ??

Cheers

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.