Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Child Care

Melbourne Child Care

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 12:26 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne Child Care

We are moving to Melbourne in April with a 2 1/2 year old daughter. Any one else moving out about the same time also finding it difficult to arrange childcare or getting a nanny?
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:00 pm
lotte

charlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nice
Default Re: Melbourne Child Care

Originally Posted by thebears
We are moving to Melbourne in April with a 2 1/2 year old daughter. Any one else moving out about the same time also finding it difficult to arrange childcare or getting a nanny?
Hi - we are hopefully moving to Melbourne before Christmas this year, and will have a 7 yr old & 4 yr old to get settled into school and nursery. My hubbie went on a quick trip to see it last year and loved Melbourne! The live in victoria website has info on childcare - what options you have (basically playgroups, creche, family day care & nannies).

My brother's daughter goes to a state creche and loves it (in Glen Eira) and it costs them $40 per day with the govt subsidy. Without that it's $80 per day. We need to check about the the govt subsidy as our 4 year old will have 1 year of nursery care ahead of him.

hope this helps
Lotte
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:09 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Charlotte,
Thanks for that info.

Our daughter is booked now into the ELC at St Catherines which starts in Jan 2007 - so just need work out interim arrangements.

What part of Melbourne are you guys headed? Glen Iria sounds familar, is it near Malvern or Armadale? The cost sounds much more appealling even without the subsidy compared too overhere.

My husband (Shane) and I have been out twice to get a place for our daughter in school (which seemed easier than trying at present to get day care). I went to school there for 2 years back in the mid 1980's.

Elaine
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

There was a feature a couple of days ago on the news about nanny/childcare agencies not checking references and sending unqualified people to parents.

I know this went on in the UK as well sometimes & am trying not to scare anyone but all I'd say is if someone is sent to you and they say they've vetted them it may be worth checking their references personally, perhaps even calling a previous employer yourself.

Also fwiw in Melbourne the options for 4 and unders are: kindergarten (usually heavily subscribed and covers just one or two mornings a week from age 3 (I think) and is supposed to prepare them for school), community creches also work mornings and you have to pre-book but on a casual basis (and the oldest is usually 3 1/2), day care centres which take anything from babies to school age. If you know where you'll be moving to I'd suggest trying to find somewhere before you arrive (especially kindergarten).
Old Feb 24th 2006, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.o...ia_branch.html

http://tinyurl.com/ld6ox
State Gov stuff, long url son Tiny'd it. Tells you how to find services, etc.

These people regulate the industry.

Any practical questions wife works as qualified childcare worker so ask away.

Ian