Reload this Page >

Melbourne - but where?

Melbourne - but where?

Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

ukjoiner will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Melbourne - but where?

Originally Posted by The Crow
We are in The Basin, which is just on the edge (50 mins by train into the CBD, 40 mins drive off-peak and 35 mins to the bay beaches).
Excuse me being thick, but what is the CBD??

Sorry x
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukjoiner
Excuse me being thick, but what is the CBD??

Sorry x
Don't worry! I didn't know until I moved here - it's the central business district of Melbourne. Or Melbourne city in other words
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Don't worry! I didn't know until I moved here - it's the central business district of Melbourne. Or Melbourne city in other words
Thanks xxx
Old Mar 11th 2009, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds perfect for us. The scenery looks stunning. We are close to the Peak District at the moment. That is what I will have trouble giving up (apart from family) but the Dandenongs area looks fab.

What is the yearly climate like there?
Also check out http://eldersweather.com.au

For weather up in the Dandenongs, put in Mount Dandenong and for the foothills put in Scoresby. That will give you an indication of the difference in temperature - you can check past weather on there too.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:17 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
just dont mistake the dandenongs with dandenong
"BIG" difference

Before I moved here, I bought my motorbike from a dealer in Dandenong, and had a bit of a shock when I found out how far away it was when I went to collect it.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:46 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Hi there

Can anyone help me research Melbourne? We are initially attracted due to the climate and also I have a Cousin living in Hastings - Victoria.

The one thing we love more than anything about the UK is our countryside, walking and lots of camping so anywhere too flat would be a no go for us. We would like to live where it is scenic (or not too far away from), good for children, good schools, hopefully near(ish) the coast and not too killer hot. Also my hubby is a Joiner so somewhere up and coming development wise would be good. Middle of a city wouldn't appeal a great deal.

Do you think thats picky? It might sound a lot to ask for but I think we could be much more picky if we tried.

Does anyone have any suggestions as a good place to start looking. Looking on Google Earth is great but its hard to spot where its flat as opposed to hilly for starters! I am drawn to looking at the beaches - how shallow!

Thanks for any advice

Jenny
where your cousin lives in hastings would be fine or anywhere on the penninsula I'm in Tyabb 5 K's from hastings. your close by the red hill and other winery areas lots of countryside around there including arthurs seat which definately isn't flat and also close to the beaches so best of both worlds. or if countrysides more your thing try areas like fern tree gully miles from the beaches but lots of countryside
Old Mar 12th 2009, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paul30
where your cousin lives in hastings would be fine or anywhere on the penninsula I'm in Tyabb 5 K's from hastings. your close by the red hill and other winery areas lots of countryside around there including arthurs seat which definately isn't flat and also close to the beaches so best of both worlds. or if countrysides more your thing try areas like fern tree gully miles from the beaches but lots of countryside
With the Eastlink now open, FTG is only about 25 mins max to the beach.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice
Smile Re: Melbourne - but where?

does anyone come across a good 'google-like' map that mark places like school, mall, pub, parks etc
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paul30
Thanks Paul, I will check those areas out. It would be nice to have the best of both. The countryside means a lot to us over here but I think the coast is a wonderful place to be near and would be just as precious a part of our lifestyle. Our dog would be very excited too although he is a wuss and hates water!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Also check out http://eldersweather.com.au

For weather up in the Dandenongs, put in Mount Dandenong and for the foothills put in Scoresby. That will give you an indication of the difference in temperature - you can check past weather on there too.
Have used that link and it is really useful. 3 degrees difference currently. Makes quite a difference if its cooler.

Interesting to hear that your journey to the beach is 25 mins now. We did a search on Google Earth from Ferntree Gully to the beaches to the West of you and it said nearly an hour. Has it cut the journey time in half then? Which beach do you most regularly go to? Will see if we can see you on Google Earth!!!
I told my father in law I could actually do that when he went to Spain for 3 months recently, he really believed me and text me to see when he should wave and where from!!! Silly man.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:53 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sram466
does anyone come across a good 'google-like' map that mark places like school, mall, pub, parks etc
Maybe www.melways.com.au
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sram466
http://www.whereis.com/

put an address in and then see bottom of map for listing schools...
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Have used that link and it is really useful. 3 degrees difference currently. Makes quite a difference if its cooler.

Interesting to hear that your journey to the beach is 25 mins now. We did a search on Google Earth from Ferntree Gully to the beaches to the West of you and it said nearly an hour. Has it cut the journey time in half then? Which beach do you most regularly go to? Will see if we can see you on Google Earth!!!
I told my father in law I could actually do that when he went to Spain for 3 months recently, he really believed me and text me to see when he should wave and where from!!! Silly man.
From our house in The Basin it's about 35 mins (it used to be about 50 mins) to Carrum beach (I'll post a pic) - that's my favourite spot. Ferntree Gully is closer to the Eastlink, by about 10 mins - depending on which part of FTG you are.
I'll pm you our address and you can find us on Google Earth too :0)
Attached Thumbnails Melbourne - but where?-img_6818.jpg   Melbourne - but where?-img_7088.jpg  

Last edited by The Crow; Mar 12th 2009 at 12:00 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

From our house in The Basin it's about 35 mins (it used to be about 50 mins) to Carrum beach (I'll post a pic) - that's my favourite spot. Ferntree Gully is closer to the Eastlink, by about 10 mins - depending on which part of FTG you are.
I'll pm you our address and you can find us on Google Earth too :0)
Pardon my PM, asked if you had children but I hadn't read your post before I replied.

I can clearly see you have two girls, just like me. They look to be having a lovely time. That beach looks particularly safe, nice and shallow for paddling.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 12:51 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Pardon my PM, asked if you had children but I hadn't read your post before I replied.

I can clearly see you have two girls, just like me. They look to be having a lovely time. That beach looks particularly safe, nice and shallow for paddling.
Some of the best beaches along that stretch from Frankston to Carrum. Very affordable housing too with excellent links to the city (CBD) and Mornington Pen.
Attached Thumbnails Melbourne - but where?-seaford-beach-pier.jpg   Melbourne - but where?-seaford-pier.jpg   Melbourne - but where?-seaford-surf-club-cafe-overlooking-pier.jpg   Melbourne - but where?-beach-looking-north.jpeg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.