Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Bike Paths

Melbourne Bike Paths

Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:35 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne Bike Paths

Went out for a bit of a ride today. Perfect weather for it.

I did about 120ks worth of cycling of which 100ks was on bike paths. I would like to give a big thumbs up to Melbourne's bike paths. They are great.

For those interested: I started at Carrum and headed along the Patterson River through Dandenong, along the Dandenong Creek Trail to Jells Park. From there I headed into the city on Scotchmans Creek, Gardiners Creek and Main Yarra Trails. I crossed onto the South Bank and followed the Sandridge Rail Trail to Port Melbourne. Then into the head wind for the return journey to Carrum on the Bayside Ride.

Old Mar 19th 2008, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

sara1981 has a spectacular aura aboutsara1981 has a spectacular aura aboutsara1981 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Melbourne Bike Paths

Wow, this sounds great! I've decided when I get to Melbourne that I'd love to get a bike and do some cycling....but have a bit of an aversion to cycling on busy roads. Think it'll be a great thing that my fiance and I can do together since I can't convince him to get on a horse and go horse riding with me, guess I'll just have to get a bike instead!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sara1981
Wow, this sounds great! I've decided when I get to Melbourne that I'd love to get a bike and do some cycling....but have a bit of an aversion to cycling on busy roads. Think it'll be a great thing that my fiance and I can do together since I can't convince him to get on a horse and go horse riding with me, guess I'll just have to get a bike instead!
The paths are good. Some can also be used for horses.

I would recommend getting the Bike Paths book which is available from most cycle shops.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

sara1981 has a spectacular aura aboutsara1981 has a spectacular aura aboutsara1981 has a spectacular aura about

Great, thanks for that, I'll definitely be getting that book when I get there....I could always ride my horse and he can ride his bike, keeps us both happy....although he may have trouble keeping up lol!!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:43 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Went out for a bit of a ride today. Perfect weather for it.

I did about 120ks worth of cycling of which 100ks was on bike paths. I would like to give a big thumbs up to Melbourne's bike paths. They are great.

For those interested: I started at Carrum and headed along the Patterson River through Dandenong, along the Dandenong Creek Trail to Jells Park. From there I headed into the city on Scotchmans Creek, Gardiners Creek and Main Yarra Trails. I crossed onto the South Bank and followed the Sandridge Rail Trail to Port Melbourne. Then into the head wind for the return journey to Carrum on the Bayside Ride.

That sounds fantastic.

On a much smaller scale, we recently cycled the footpath beside the railway out your way, from Langwarrin Fauna reserve to Frankston beach. It was very pleasant, just the right length for our kids and we're looking forward to doing this many more times when we move up to Langwarrin.

The only bad thing about it was when one of the infrequent trains hooted right behind us and we just about fell off our bikes!

Buzzy
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
That sounds fantastic.

On a much smaller scale, we recently cycled the footpath beside the railway out your way, from Langwarrin Fauna reserve to Frankston beach. It was very pleasant, just the right length for our kids and we're looking forward to doing this many more times when we move up to Langwarrin.

The only bad thing about it was when one of the infrequent trains hooted right behind us and we just about fell off our bikes!

Buzzy
I've been on that one a couple of times with the kids. They love it and wave to the train. The driver usually gives a hoot.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

bigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nice

I love cycling the Capital City Trail. The route goes pretty close to my house so easy to hook up with it and a pretty straight forward ride.
http://www.bv.com.au/bikes-and-riding/10352/

The only problem is doing that route on a Sunday gets you stuck in the middle of the Arts Centre Market!!

I cycle to work each day and agree the paths are great.
Karen