Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne best city in world again!

Melbourne best city in world again!

Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Scoops is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne best city in world again!

Originally posted by TrickyTree
Dont these people know that Nottingham is the worlds best city.

It must be cause Jo and Twiggy tell me every morning on Trent FM.

Obviously must be a HUGE mistake by the report writers.

TT

Yeah right

The daily shootings help to padd out the East Mids news though

Just waiting for you and the sheep to be relegated and then we will have the biggest street party since the war!!!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:03 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by joem
Stick the article, up your arse hole:lecture:

joem
Ah, this must be the guy who lives in Port Moresby

Anya.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

mozzie will become famous soon enough

The non-Melbournians who keep bagging Melbourne as not being exciting enough have completely missed the point. The survey is based on quality-of-life issues (housing, education, health, transport, crime, climate, sport and culture, etc.). Now I'm sure that Baghdad would be a much more exciting place to live, but I'm really not that keen to try it out.

And BTW, it's not Melbournians who rate the city so highly in this survey - it's foreign nationals who have relocated there. How people who live in Sydney or Brisbane can possibly think they can provide a more informed opinion is absolutely beyond me. Then again, there are people who think they are experts on everything.

Last edited by mozzie; Feb 9th 2004 at 12:59 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mozzie
The non-Melbournians who keep bagging Melbourne as not being exciting enough have completely missed the point. The survey is based on quality-of-life issues (housing, education, health, transport, crime, climate, sport and culture, etc.). Now I'm sure that Baghdad would be a much more exciting place to live, but I'm really not that keen to try it out.

And BTW, it's not Melbournians who rate the city so highly in this survey - it's foreign nationals who have relocated there. How people who live in Sydney or Brisbane can possibly think they can provide a more informed opinion is absolutely beyond me. Then again, there are people who think they are experts on everything.
Very well said.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

onion196 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, people are talking about places where I live! I live in Ottershaw, whuch is just down the road from woking! Hello all, must be something in the water driving us away! lol
Old Feb 9th 2004, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by onion196
Wow, people are talking about places where I live! I live in Ottershaw, whuch is just down the road from woking! Hello all, must be something in the water driving us away! lol
well Mr OR MRS onion 196 - HELLO
you mean you don't like the M25 on your doorstep, or the Otter pub or foxhills? :-))))
Where are you hoping to move to ?
Hey perhaps we should start a new thread, have a get together for Surrey ?! The "Woking news" would just love to see how many people are queuing to get out!LOL
Helinuk
Old Feb 9th 2004, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi Helinuk

Its miss, but will be mrs in sept!! We are hoping to go to Brisbane, but not sure as other half works in IT and I know its a pain to get a job just about anywhere, so we may be better off in Melbourne. The thought of similar weather puts me off though!
I'm sure I have probably read it somewhere, but where are you heading off to?
I'm sure i'll miss it all when i'm gone, but I'm prepared to give it a go, lol
Niki
Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Helinuk

Its miss, but will be mrs in sept!! We are hoping to go to Brisbane, but not sure as other half works in IT and I know its a pain to get a job just about anywhere, so we may be better off in Melbourne. The thought of similar weather puts me off though!
I'm sure I have probably read it somewhere, but where are you heading off to?
I'm sure i'll miss it all when i'm gone, but I'm prepared to give it a go, lol
Niki
I'm HOPING to be off to Melbourne one day! - I'm not an expert on the weather in Melbourne you'd need to ask the people who live there but IMHO it was lovely when I was there most of the time -in November their spring and up to 34c a few days, mostly in the 20s tho.
Helinuk
Old Feb 10th 2004, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

The thought of similar weather puts me off though!
Hi Onion, I thinkthe thing with Mel is you have to be prepared for changeable weather - I remember in Oct 02 I was walking round sometimes in t-shirts, then in Oct 03 the heating broke down in the house and we were so cold we had to have emergency repairs done!! In Nov 03 we had days up to 39 degrees - but by 6pm it was down to 19 again - very strange!!
We found the winters quite cold and dark (dark at 4.30-5pm in height of winter), but a lot of bright sunny days - but then when you get out of the winter sun it can be bitter. It's a very windy city (not as windy as other parts of Oz) but very windy nonetheless, which can obviously increase the chill factor.
LAst summer it was too hot half the time for me!! Highest temp up to 45 (and without air con that was hard!!) but lots of days n the high 20s/early 30s. New Year's Day 2002 was 17 degrees!

It is hard to describe the climate but I spose the well known "4 seasons in one day" is pretty accurate. For the most part, it was definitely warmer than the UK, but in winter we had very low overnight/early morning temps - even minus temps. (I used to cycle to work everyday so would always check the temps on the net at 7am. never leave home without a brolly! Have to say tho, I much prefer the climate in Melbourne - to other parts - we ruled out Adelaide as the sun/heat would have been too intensive for us (hubby cycles outdoors up to 6 hrs a day so needed somewhere a bit more moderate)
Good luck wherever you decide!
Old Feb 10th 2004, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks HP and helinuk (is that hell in UK? ) for correcting onion's impression that Surrey weather is similar to Melbourne's.

OzTennis
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis
Thanks HP and helinuk (is that hell in UK? ) for correcting onion's impression that Surrey weather is similar to Melbourne's.

OzTennis
you're quite right OT - sometimes Melbourne's weather is far worse
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw

Good one!

OzTennis
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
lol, thank you all!!
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was just thinking we have Crowded House as well as Sydneysiders to blame for this '4 seasons in one day' business! And then I got to thinking it's a pity Crowded House split up, and then I was thinking about the farewell concert on the steps of Sydney Opera House and the finale - 'Don't dream it's over' with the shots of the Opera House and Harbour bridge and all the boats and lights (fantastic). But I'm well off thread now!

OzTennis
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:24 am
Put big light on!

Sausage is an unknown quantity at this point

The worst weather I experienced when I visited Oz was in Sydney. Torrential rain in bucket-loads. Made the car slide across the road.

Still, it cleared up the next day and was bright and hot, hot hot.

Sydney is a wonderful place to visit, but I wouldn't really wanna to live there full time.

Melbourne is a fantastic city, in my opinion. Probably the nicest city I have visited. So, I would agree with the No.1 city rating. However, that doesn't equate to me slagging off any other cities. It just means I prefer Melbourne.

Roy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.