British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   melbourne the best city (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/melbourne-best-city-112287/)

aussie bloke Oct 4th 2002 3:51 am

melbourne the best city

Face it- Melbourne's perfect

October 04 2002

Melbourne has been declared the near-perfect town after being rated the best city in the world to call home.

In a survey of 130 cities, the Economist Intelligence Unit rated Melbourne and Vancouver in Canada as the best cities in the world in which to live, with Perth ranked third and Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide tied in eighth place.

Papua New Guinea's capital Port Moresby was rated the worst.

The London-based EIU assessed the level of hardship for expatriates in the 130 cities, focussing on 12 factors including housing, education, recreational activities and climate.

Not surprisingly, Melbourne's weather prevented it earning a perfect score of zero, with the Victorian capital and Vancouver scoring one point, Perth two and Sydney, Adelaide and Brisbane all on four.

Sydneysiders won't agree, but Melbourne's weather, based on humidity rather than rain and temperature, was adjudged better.

And while Sydney received a near-perfect score in all categories, its high level of violent crime, on a par with New York and London, cost it points.

"Really we found very little wrong with Melbourne, it's just about the perfect city," said Bill Ridgers, editor of the EIU's Cost of Living survey.

"It got a perfect score in every single category we looked at, apart from slight faults in its humidity and the availability of recreational activities, but that's really splitting hairs."

Cities were rated one to five in the 12 categories, with one at 0 per cent meaning there was no hardship and five, at 100 per cent, indicating extreme hardship.

Sydney earned a two for violent crime, the same as New York and London, while Port Moresby scored five.

Melbourne received 1.1 for recreational activities, falling down on the availability of concerts and theatre, while Sydney earned one, but Perth received the lowest score of the five Australian cities surveyed.

The survey was split into three categories with the health and safety section rating the threat of violent crime, the threat posed by terrorism or armed conflict and a health and disease assessment.

Culture and environment looked at the availability of nightclubs, restaurants, sporting events, sporting facilities, theatres, cinemas and concerts, as well as studying climate, levels of corruption and the availability of consumer goods and services.

The infrastructure section ranked transport, housing, education and utilities.

Ridgers said although the survey was based on expats' experiences, the factors were broad enough to apply to locals as well.

London was joint 44th on 13 points along with Hong Kong, Lisbon, Madrid and San Francisco, while New York was 52nd on 16, equal with Dublin.

Canada performed strongly with Toronto equal fourth with Vienna, Geneva and Zurich, while Montreal joined Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Copenhagen, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt and Oslo in eighth and Calgary was ranked 16th.

New Zealand cities Auckland and Wellington were both ranked 24th.

AAP

This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...538761412.html

pommie bastard Oct 4th 2002 4:03 am

Re: melbourne the best city

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by aussie bloke:
Face it- Melbourne's perfect

Never been to Melbourne but have seen the flim""Chopper",
about life of Mark Chopper Ried looked like a great place to avoid , some very iffy locals?:D :beer:

Robert Edwards Oct 4th 2002 6:22 am

That comes as no surprise to me I have always rated Melbourne highly as a
city eventhough I now live on the Gold Coast.
London 44th ........

"aussie bloke" wrote in message
news:433247.1033703506@britishexpats-
.com
    > Face it- Melbourne's perfect
    > October 04 2002
    > Melbourne has been declared the near-perfect town after being rated the
    > best city in the world to call home.

Devlin Oct 4th 2002 8:26 am

You have to remember that this survey put a high bias on cost of living and access to "family friendly" facilities. Melbourne would probably be the best place to buy a house in the suburbs and bring up a family.

But would I want to live there as a young professional - I think not!

Marlo Oct 4th 2002 12:48 pm

Originally posted by Devlin:
You have to remember that this survey put a high bias on cost of living and access to "family friendly" facilities. Melbourne would probably be the best place to buy a house in the suburbs and bring up a family.

But would I want to live there as a young professional - I think not!

Maybe not but some of us wouldn`t want to live in the filth of London either!! We all want different things and what suits one won`t suit another. London good place to visit but wouldn`t live there if I was given a property!

Devlin Oct 4th 2002 1:27 pm

Originally posted by Marlo:

Maybe not but some of us wouldn`t want to live in the filth of London either!! We all want different things and what suits one won`t suit another. London good place to visit but wouldn`t live there if I was given a property!

So go and live in Broken Hill or Wagga Wagga then!

Marlo Oct 4th 2002 3:46 pm

Originally posted by Devlin:

So go and live in Broken Hill or Wagga Wagga then!

And you in Brixton!!:D

Robert Edwards Oct 4th 2002 9:16 pm

What a strange retort

"Devlin" wrote in message
news:433530.1033738020@britishexpats-
.com
    > So go and live in Broken Hill or Wagga Wagga then!
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

ywoods Oct 5th 2002 10:45 pm

Hiya Robert...

The thing that suprised me is that it came up so well.. it does not deserve the 44th place... it deserved a harsher position. Hey ho lived there for 18 years my son all his life... yep I feel qualified to have my whinge lol

Melbourne.. yup no complaints as yet and I will be visiting your neck of the woods end of November for a weekend,,, parteeeee to attend... :) But I have been there before and loved the quietness and horizontal attitude of the place.... need a few more years before I could move there, but it would be almost top of my list :)

Yvonne :D

Originally posted by Robert Edwards:
That comes as no surprise to me I have always rated Melbourne highly as a
city eventhough I now live on the Gold Coast.
London 44th ........

"aussie bloke" wrote in message
news:433247.1033703506@britishexpats-
.com
    > Face it- Melbourne's perfect
    > October 04 2002
    > Melbourne has been declared the near-perfect town after being rated the
    > best city in the world to call home.

Sdw Oct 6th 2002 12:20 am

I am an American and have been to both Sydney and Melbourne. I can
honestly say that Melbourne is a beautiful culturally diverse city
with much better shopping and restaurant choices than Sydney. I hope
to migrate there some day.

"Robert Edwards" wrote in message news:...
    > What a strange retort
    > "Devlin" wrote in message
    > news:433530.1033738020@britishexpa-
    > ts.com
    > >
    > > So go and live in Broken Hill or Wagga Wagga then!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > >

Jaj Oct 6th 2002 1:45 am

I think if you want an outdoor lifestyle (sailing, beaches,
bushwalking etc) the climate and setting of Sydney is much more
suitable than Melbourne.

On the other hand, if you prefer more indoor-orientated things, like
theatres, shopping and restaurants, (and maybe watching sport rather
than playing it) then Melbourne is more likely to suit.

Jeremy

>On 5 Oct 2002 17:20:31 -0700, [email protected] (SDW) wrote:
    >I am an American and have been to both Sydney and Melbourne. I can
    >honestly say that Melbourne is a beautiful culturally diverse city
    >with much better shopping and restaurant choices than Sydney. I hope
    >to migrate there some day.
    >"Robert Edwards" wrote in message news:...
    >> What a strange retort
    >> "Devlin" wrote in message
    >> news:433530.1033738020@britishexp-
    >> ats.com
    >> >
    >> > So go and live in Broken Hill or Wagga Wagga then!
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    >> >

Robert Edwards Oct 6th 2002 1:47 am

Did you know Melbourne has more days of sun that Sydney?

"JAJ" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
t.au
    > I think if you want an outdoor lifestyle (sailing, beaches,
    > bushwalking etc) the climate and setting of Sydney is much more
    > suitable than Melbourne.
    > On the other hand, if you prefer more indoor-orientated things, like
    > theatres, shopping and restaurants, (and maybe watching sport rather
    > than playing it) then Melbourne is more likely to suit.

Jaj Oct 6th 2002 2:04 am

How do you define a 'day of sun'?
Sydney gets more sunshine in total.

Jeremy

>On Sun, 6 Oct 2002 11:47:34 +1000, "Robert Edwards" wrote:
    >Did you know Melbourne has more days of sun that Sydney?
    >"JAJ" wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >et.au
    >> I think if you want an outdoor lifestyle (sailing, beaches,
    >> bushwalking etc) the climate and setting of Sydney is much more
    >> suitable than Melbourne.
    >> On the other hand, if you prefer more indoor-orientated things, like
    >> theatres, shopping and restaurants, (and maybe watching sport rather
    >> than playing it) then Melbourne is more likely to suit.

Perth Helena Oct 7th 2002 8:10 am

[i]

<snip>

Not surprisingly, Melbourne's weather prevented it earning a perfect score of zero, with the Victorian capital and Vancouver scoring one point, Perth two and Sydney, Adelaide and Brisbane all on four.

Sitting here, at my friend's PC, in Vancouver, Canada. Vancouver's weather near perfect??? ROTFLMAO!!!!

Lived in Vancouver for many years, then back in Perth 3 years. Can't agree whatsoever with this survey's assessment that Vancouver's weather is better than Perth's. Not unless you enjoy eternal greyness and damp, even for many days in "summer". Vancouver residents desperately try to be cheery and positive about the weather but fail to convince anyone, including themselves. (I was one of those for many years myself.) Just goes to show that surveys and newspaper opinion pieces are not to be taken as gospel. Besides, how come Adelaide is grouped with Sydney & Brisbane when I'm pretty sure its weather is more in line with Perth's??? Bone dry, not humid. Something's not right in this survey's assessment.

For me, Melbourne's weather is much better than Vancouver's, but Perth's better than both of those two. I suppose it depends on what you prefer but having lived in Vancouver many years, I know that most Vancouver residents don't like Vancouver's weather. They bitch and complain about it constantly (I did too).

I suppose it depends on where the majority of the migrants came from and what they were used to before. In Vancouver, most are from China, India or Pakistan. So I suppose they find Vancouver a vast improvement and talk more positively about many things than the rest of us would, considering what some migrants had to put up with before. Maybe we're jaded and spoiled. But still, Vancouver's weather better than Perth's and on par with Melbourne's?????? ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

[i]

Ridgers said although the survey was based on expats' experiences, the factors were broad enough to apply to locals as well.

Not the locals we know!!