Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

melbourne-best avoid....

melbourne-best avoid....

Old Jun 5th 2006, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: melbourne-best avoid....

Originally Posted by stokesy43
LOL you couldn't resist it could you Fraser.

No your right you can't generalise like that but everyone does to a certain extent and when choosing somewhere to live you have to go on your gut instincts. I'm certainly not alone on this one as all of my work colleagues wouldn't want to live there either.

I think there is only one place in Melbourne, that I can honestly say I wouldn't like to live in based on some expereince and lots of heresay. Dallas, Between Coolaroo and Westmeadows.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 1:04 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The biggest difference between innercity Melbourne, and anywhere Inner city in the UK, is generally the Street gangs, start further out in Melbourne in the newer Burbs where youngsters congregate.
Spoke to an Ex-real estate friend (he was too nice to be a real estate shark) over the weekend and he was saying, it's very sad but these new estates that are going up often have young families, kids primary school or younger, as they grow the facilities don't grow with them...bored kids, hang round in gangs hooning. It's sad as well but people have more pressure on them to 'keep up with the Jones's' ,2 in 3 marriages end up in divorce (cheerful conversation eh?) single parent bringing up children (not calling single parents ability - but undeniably harder without support of other half), having to work full-time to make end's meet - nobody around the estate after school and school holidays - kids go wild and own the area.

Afraid I would opt for a good established area in a shed of a house, than a clinical new estate in a mansion for the same price.

Again, only in my opinion and wouldn't life be boring if we all thought the same areas were good/bad.

LJJ
Old Jun 5th 2006, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

You can draw some lines I discovered recently when I saw a wall map of Melbourne when it comes to the E burbs.

I would not choose, broadly, anywhere East of Warrigal Road, south of the Monash ie. Clayton, Morrabin, (as mentioned) unless you are moving to a semi-rural area, or you want a new estate on the outskirts.

Anywhere West of Warrigal Rd, directly E of the city is bloody expensive but nice.

Anywhere east of Warrigal Rd, directly E of the city is not quite so bloody expensive but nice.

Anywhere NE of Melbourne is nice.

Can't comment on the W, or NW, but Footscray and the like are up and coming, the people buying there now will have the last laugh.

Hallam is growing, (INDUSTRY) no coincidence it got a permy Fire Station not long ago and handles more firecalls than other station in the region more than Dandenong and Springvale.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ljj
Afraid I would opt for a good established area in a shed of a house, than a clinical new estate in a mansion for the same price.

LJJ
McMansions, they are often referred to as
Old Jun 5th 2006, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stokesy43
I wouldn't live in Footscray if you paid me what a horrible place.
Foot-scarey, Scum-shine...the locals will soon let you know where to avoid . Although, I know quite a few people who live in Footscray and they seem to like it but I really don't know the area too well.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 3:03 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Never heard that before LOL . Bet I can use it in a sentence within the next 24 hours!

LJJ
Old Jun 5th 2006, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
There was an article in the Age a few weeks back critically stating that McMansions were a 'mistake' and there should be some better town planning.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:43 am
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice

Originally Posted by lawrenson
Which 'burbs or areas are best avoided and for what reasons. Thinking of family life, avoiding crime,drugs etc., transport difficulties living conditions.....
All the one's in Victoria. Sorry to hi-jack the thread but couldn't resist
Old Jun 5th 2006, 12:01 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluerobot
Troll alert
Old Jun 20th 2006, 4:51 am
Kanga1

Emmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really nice

Hi there we have recently moved to Melbourne and the weather hasnt been to bad concidering its winter We are staying with family at the mo in Carrum Downs which is ok but very build up so we have looked around and like the look of Morninton and it has a lovely beach and lots of shops and apperently lots of brits are moving there so I hope this helps avoid Frankston Ive been told x
Old Jun 20th 2006, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Emmaline
Hi there we have recently moved to Melbourne and the weather hasnt been to bad concidering its winter We are staying with family at the mo in Carrum Downs which is ok but very build up so we have looked around and like the look of Morninton and it has a lovely beach and lots of shops and apperently lots of brits are moving there so I hope this helps avoid Frankston Ive been told x
I was impressed by some of the bush plots in Frankston South.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
There's a great new (ish) restaurant in Frankston South called Sofias By The Bay where the Italian style food is good and cheap and plentiful. Custom might go down a bit of the Italians beat the Socceroos on Monday though.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 11:20 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lawrenson
Which 'burbs or areas are best avoided and for what reasons. Thinking of family life, avoiding crime,drugs etc., transport difficulties living conditions.....
Not many bad areas mate. Even in some lower income areas the homes are looked after and the communitys still retain a sense of selfworth. Which comparing like for like in UK you would not find.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 11:21 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluerobot
Jealousy because you chose the wrong state

Come on you Maroons
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:20 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
They're blocks love. Plots are what you book when your kids start talking about nursing homes

Frankston souths not half bad actually