Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

melbourne bay commute

melbourne bay commute

Old Mar 6th 2006, 6:03 pm
lotte

charlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nice
Question melbourne bay commute

Hi - can anybody tell me the commute times from Beaumaris/Mentone/Parkdale to CBD by road or rail??? We are trying to work out suburbs and Beaumaris has been highly recommended - but is it too far away?

How bad is the rush hour?? can anybody help

Big Big Thankyou to everybody
Lotte
Old Mar 6th 2006, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: melbourne bay commute

Originally Posted by charlotte
Hi - can anybody tell me the commute times from Beaumaris/Mentone/Parkdale to CBD by road or rail??? We are trying to work out suburbs and Beaumaris has been highly recommended - but is it too far away?

Lotte
Hi,we have family in Frankston which is on same rail line Ithink,only takes just over an hour I think on train pretty busy in mornings but better than roads,dont have to worry about parking.Mentone is a nice area,all the best Dave
Old Mar 6th 2006, 7:20 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: melbourne bay commute

Lotte
As far as public transport goes try here - http://www.connexmelbourne.com.au/ and here - http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 6th 2006, 7:44 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: melbourne bay commute

Lotte
We are in Mentone and when we first arrived hubbie did the commute by train. Not too bad in the mornings and quite quick, especially if you got the fast train. Takes about 30 minutes to Spencer Street Station (which is now Southern Cross) However the trains are not as frequent in the evenings.

He now drives and it takes about 40 minutes door to door and he doesn't leave until about 7.45 am.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Lotte
Hi Lotte,

I live in Beaumaris, just past Reserve Road and off Beach Road and drive in daily to the CBD - via Beach Road. I usually leave about 6.45am/7am and the journey is 30 minutes, give or take a couple of minutes. If you leave later than 7.30am it can take an extra 5-10 minutes. The traffic is busier the later you leave but there are less cyclists on the road so the traffic can use both lanes - so it doesn't mean a huge increase in travel times.

I usually leave the CBD around 6pm and the journey is about 40 minutes. It usually gets quieter after 6.30pm.

I'd been used to 1 hr 45 minute commutes from Hampshire into London and a weekly drive from Hampshire to Milton Keynes. Compared to those this is a piece of cake. And as the drive is along Beach Road I'm looking out on the beach, the bay, palm trees, wind surfers and boats. Beats the M25 or A34 anyday !

The nearest train station is at Sandringham, though I've never used this. Friends who live in Black Rock (2km north of Beaumaris) often cycle or drive to Sandringham. I believe the train takes 28 minutes and is relatively frequent.

Beaumaris is a fabulous area, great community spirit. Close to the beach, close to the CBD, a great concourse for shopping, delis and cafes, handy for the Nepean Highway, close to the Mornington Peninsula and some very good schools. We've been here for 6 months and will be looking to stay in the area for some time. Our daughter (6 years) goes to the local Primary School and our son (4 years) is at the local Kinder. Both love it here.

If you need any more info feel free to drop me a PM.

Cheers and good luck.
Colin
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:26 am
lotte

charlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nicecharlotte is just really nice

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Hi Lotte,

I live in Beaumaris, just past Reserve Road and off Beach Road and drive in daily to the CBD - via Beach Road. I usually leave about 6.45am/7am and the journey is 30 minutes, give or take a couple of minutes. If you leave later than 7.30am it can take an extra 5-10 minutes. The traffic is busier the later you leave but there are less cyclists on the road so the traffic can use both lanes - so it doesn't mean a huge increase in travel times.

I usually leave the CBD around 6pm and the journey is about 40 minutes. It usually gets quieter after 6.30pm.

I'd been used to 1 hr 45 minute commutes from Hampshire into London and a weekly drive from Hampshire to Milton Keynes. Compared to those this is a piece of cake. And as the drive is along Beach Road I'm looking out on the beach, the bay, palm trees, wind surfers and boats. Beats the M25 or A34 anyday !

The nearest train station is at Sandringham, though I've never used this. Friends who live in Black Rock (2km north of Beaumaris) often cycle or drive to Sandringham. I believe the train takes 28 minutes and is relatively frequent.

Beaumaris is a fabulous area, great community spirit. Close to the beach, close to the CBD, a great concourse for shopping, delis and cafes, handy for the Nepean Highway, close to the Mornington Peninsula and some very good schools. We've been here for 6 months and will be looking to stay in the area for some time. Our daughter (6 years) goes to the local Primary School and our son (4 years) is at the local Kinder. Both love it here.

If you need any more info feel free to drop me a PM.

Cheers and good luck.
Colin
Hi Colin,
A big thank you for your reply, Beaumaris certainly sounds lovely and your info has definitely put it top of our list!
Are you a football fan? Is it wrong to ask that question?
My hubbie is a chelsea fan, and is wondering where he will watch the sport!
Best wishes
Lotte
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:31 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Colin,
A big thank you for your reply, Beaumaris certainly sounds lovely and your info has definitely put it top of our list!
Best wishes
Lotte
hi Lotte,

My hubbie is a HUGE Chelsea fan - in fact he is upstairs now watching the match (not that I think that they will get through! - thank god I won't have to put up with the mood as he is off to Adelaide on business for a couple of days!) They show quite a few matches on Foxtel - not the same as going to the match but better than nothing at all.

Vanessa
Old Mar 8th 2006, 8:45 am
lotte

Originally Posted by Vanessa
hi Lotte,

My hubbie is a HUGE Chelsea fan - in fact he is upstairs now watching the match (not that I think that they will get through! - thank god I won't have to put up with the mood as he is off to Adelaide on business for a couple of days!) They show quite a few matches on Foxtel - not the same as going to the match but better than nothing at all.

Vanessa
Hi Vanessa - I was so tentative asking about football as its a very personal thing especially if they like different teams!!
Steve is trying to accept the fact that he will be watching Chelsea alone - so the thought of another true blue is very exciting. Tom our 6 year old is also footie mad - but of course he will not be up that late at night!
Great news!
Best wishes
Lotte
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Colin,
Best wishes
Lotte
Hi Lotte,

Yep, huge football fan ! Foxtel (equivalent to Sky) show 7 live English Premiership games a week and also have an hour long highlights show on a Monday night and a 30 min preview show on Friday nights. ESPN also shows the FA Cup games and all Champions League games. No interest from me anymore (Rangers) and sadly not for your husband now either. The local newsagents in Beaumaris (Beauy) sells a variety of English Weekly International Papers - Telegraph, Express and Guardian - so I can also catch up with the match reports.

There are plenty of bars in Melbourne that show the games also.

I also play once a week with a bunch of expats and aussies. Nothing serious just jackets for goalposts down at Albert Park. Very enjoyable and usually a good laugh. Always happy for newcomers to join us as well.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any questions.

Good luck.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:39 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Hi Lotte,

Yep, huge football fan ! Foxtel (equivalent to Sky) show 7 live English Premiership games a week and also have an hour long highlights show on a Monday night and a 30 min preview show on Friday nights. ESPN also shows the FA Cup games and all Champions League games. No interest from me anymore (Rangers) and sadly not for your husband now either. The local newsagents in Beaumaris (Beauy) sells a variety of English Weekly International Papers - Telegraph, Express and Guardian - so I can also catch up with the match reports.

There are plenty of bars in Melbourne that show the games also.

I also play once a week with a bunch of expats and aussies. Nothing serious just jackets for goalposts down at Albert Park. Very enjoyable and usually a good laugh. Always happy for newcomers to join us as well.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any questions.

Good luck.

HI Colin, you can also get 'British Football' from the same newsagents. It comes out on a Wednesday and is often sold out the same day but you can order it I believe. It costs $4.95 and my dad has been buying it every week he's been here.

Louise
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:43 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Lotte
We live in Beaumaris, my husband does the commute every day from Cheltenham train station. The most he has ever had a train delayed was about 7 minutes which I think is great as if I had a train cancelled to Manchester when I worked there I often had nearly an hour to wait!

If takes 25 mins on the express line and about 35 on the stop every station train.

Beaumaris is lovely and the people are so welcoming and friendly. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else but will have to move a few suburbs in as it is so expensive (to us anyway being from oop north!)

Good luck with your move.

Louise
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Vanessa - I was so tentative asking about football as its a very personal thing especially if they like different teams!!
Steve is trying to accept the fact that he will be watching Chelsea alone - so the thought of another true blue is very exciting. Tom our 6 year old is also footie mad - but of course he will not be up that late at night!
Great news!
Best wishes
Lotte

Hi
We live in Mount Eliza now and soon to be Mount Martha, so we are not far away from where you are moving to.

I am a huge Chelsea fan and still miss going to the Bridge, give me a call and you won't have to watch a match alone.

John

p.s My BIL (a West Ham fan)and myself are already sorting out where we are going to watch the world Cup
Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:32 pm
lotte

Originally Posted by jond
Hi
We live in Mount Eliza now and soon to be Mount Martha, so we are not far away from where you are moving to.

I am a huge Chelsea fan and still miss going to the Bridge, give me a call and you won't have to watch a match alone.

John

p.s My BIL (a West Ham fan)and myself are already sorting out where we are going to watch the world Cup
Hi John- it feels like ages away, but will hopefully go by soon. Great to hear that he can have some true blues to watch the matches with.
Best wishes
Lotte