Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne to auckland

Melbourne to auckland

Old Oct 21st 2013, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne to auckland

I posted this in the NZ forum but also thought I would see if anyone in here could help who has lived there and done it the other way round

Cheers

It is looking likely that we will be moving to Auckland for work purposes. Really sad to be leaving Melbourne but hey ho onwards and upwards - and it's only 3 hours over the ditch!!

I am suspecting that we will get a relocation allowance for us to sort ourselves out so we will need to negotiate on this to cover all expenses.

The ones that spring to mind are:

Can anyone recommend a removalist and a a ball park figure of associated costs. I prefer to go on word of mouth then just pick someone from the internet. We don't have a lot of furniture (minimalists is our name!!) so a 20 cubic container should do.

Been quoted just over $3k for the two dogs including crates - good price? This is with Jet Pets who have been recommended to me

Is it worth bringing the car? I have a two year old civic and only done about 12k on the clock - husband is going to sell his as it is 5 years old.

Anything else that you can think of would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne to auckland

Can't advise on removalists or cars, but we used Dogtainers to transport our two cats from Darwin to Melbourne and they were great. Cost just under $1600 which included crate hire and two weeks boarding.

Good luck with the move x
Old Oct 21st 2013, 9:30 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne to auckland

Originally Posted by Hebe
I posted this in the NZ forum but also thought I would see if anyone in here could help who has lived there and done it the other way round
Hi Hebe

I guess I come under the "anything else" category..... you may well have visited Auckland a few times, we brits have a habit of putting Australia and New Zealand in the same basket but please please please do not assume anything is the same in either place. They are very different countries.

BB
Old Oct 21st 2013, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Despite reservations both myself and Buzzy have on relocations to NZ, wish you the best of luck, and lets at least congratulate your other half for getting a position in Auckland.

If you do need help other than freight forwarders once you arrive I do have a wide network throughout, so keep posting.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

It's not definite yet but putting feelers out in case.

I am caught between a rock and a hard place - its a great move career wise for my OH and in an industry he loves (and loathes at times!!) He is the breadwinner and it is about his career.

I am one of those people that usually makes friends easily and I do have a couple of contacts in Auckland (unlike when we arrived in Melbourne) so that may help (if we go!!!!)
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 6:10 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose real opinions can be found here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812235

Apparently NZ is almost third world, is full of clicky Kiwi assholes and is akin to hobbiton villages....

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Oct 22nd 2013 at 6:12 am.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch

Apparently NZ is almost third world, is full of clicky Kiwi assholes and is akin to hobbiton villages....
Make sure what ever property you buy / rent has proper heating (ie more than one wood burner for the whole house) and propoer insulation. Condensation saw us go through 2 sets of curtains in 3 years due to mold.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 10:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

....which was an interesting comment made by someone from Karachi claiming to be an immigration agent.......I'm sure he just rakes in business with comments of that kind
Old Oct 25th 2013, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

No just too many rose tinted wearers requiring a kick up the AH
Old Oct 31st 2013, 2:52 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
....which was an interesting comment made by someone from Karachi claiming to be an immigration agent.......I'm sure he just rakes in business with comments of that kind

Hobbiton villages, cracks me up!
Old Oct 31st 2013, 3:18 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Almost as useful as this invaluable bit of advice about the native fauna:

Scoopon is a great spot to enjoy your day at Melbourne, also you can watch whales if lucky. Other than that head for the desert to camp as Australia have very diverse life species without any lion or tiger to bother humans. But do be wary of aligators.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 10:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Almost as useful as this invaluable bit of advice about the native fauna:

Classic isn't it!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Well we are off. Leaving Melbourne and onto Auckland. Hubbie goes this next week until Christmas. He is then back until after our Thailand holiday. I then have my 3 sisters over and then I will follow him in the middle of feb
Old Nov 4th 2013, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Well we are off. Leaving Melbourne and onto Auckland. Hubbie goes this next week until Christmas. He is then back until after our Thailand holiday. I then have my 3 sisters over and then I will follow him in the middle of feb
Best of luck
Old Nov 4th 2013, 9:12 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Lots to do then - at least you get to enjoy Christmas and your holiday before you need to move