melbourne area

Old Sep 11th 2009, 9:19 am
Just Joined

kangy is a jewel in the roughkangy is a jewel in the roughkangy is a jewel in the roughkangy is a jewel in the rough
Default melbourne area

Hi,all i'm going over to melbourne in march,(3 weeks recce) looking at houses (rent),work ect. Can anyone tell me any good areas to look at middle of the road not to busy or quite ect.all advice welcome,good or bad.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all
Default Re: melbourne area

Have a look at this mate. Gives a good overview of all the suburbs. The house prices are a bit out of date now cos the market is pretty strong but hopefully you'll find it helpful.

Last edited by Sue; Dec 1st 2009 at 12:09 pm. Reason: pdf breached copyright. Author asked for its removal.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Probably an idea to give more information on here, ie how close to the CBD/Geelong etc do you need to be, do you have kids (schools may be an issue), idea of how much you have to spend, want to be by the beach, near shops etc? May help narrow it down a bit. Good luck
Old Sep 11th 2009, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

kangy is a jewel in the roughkangy is a jewel in the roughkangy is a jewel in the roughkangy is a jewel in the rough

Great link,,thankyou. Do not need to be close to anywhere yet looking for area first then job, No schools needed(2 kids 1 18 and other 20 still think of them as kids) looking to rent for first two years and then will see what happens. thanx.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Having made the mistake of entering into a 12 month lease for a rental, and then finding a good job at the other end of the city which meant having to leave home at 5AM to get there on time and getting home at 8PM (due to rush hour traffic getting across the city), I would recommend getting a job before arranging your semi - permanent living accomadation
Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought i would look for a area first then see if there where any job there.(not recommended ?)
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kangy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought i would look for a area first then see if there where any job there.(not recommended ?)
At the minute it's harder to find a job than somewhere to live
Old Sep 11th 2009, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely agree job first and then where to live. Melbourne covers a vast area and you could have to commute a long long way and a long time as op says.

A lot of areas jobs are thin on the ground and they are just dormitory suburbs.

What line of work are you in?
Old Sep 11th 2009, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

looking for work as truck driver.hoping to take test and theory when on recce.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rossi
Having made the mistake of entering into a 12 month lease for a rental, and then finding a good job at the other end of the city which meant having to leave home at 5AM to get there on time and getting home at 8PM (due to rush hour traffic getting across the city), I would recommend getting a job before arranging your semi - permanent living accomadation
Aye, best advice for a newcomer that you could give.

Maybe people dont fully appreciate how busy and large Melbourne is.

I'm amazed at how many people seem to willingly head towards 2 hours plus of wasted life in a car everyday, without living here and looking for alternatives. I'd be suprised if most people couldnt eventually find a residence that was suitable within 20mins of their work.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 11th 2009 at 10:51 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Supposedly there is plenty of B double work around.

Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

http://jobsearch.gov.au/default.aspx

This takes you to the Australian Gov job-search site and lists the driving jobs they are listing at the moment. You can order the search results by location.

Ian
Old Sep 12th 2009, 7:15 am
Just Joined

I've just been looking at jobs, the full time jobs say 6+ months ? are they not full time. Do you have to reapley after 6 months? Where is the best place to look for accom and car rental for 3 weeks in march. I will be on my own so nothing special needed.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 9:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.jobsearch.com.au/Default....driver%22&l=20

ring an agency and ask them about pay etc.

http://www.wotif.com/?country=AU for hotels

http://www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au/ for cars

Good areas? West is more industrial, east is more suburban. Nice areas in both.

Use http://www.realestate.com.au/ to see what's going for what you can afford. Target 3/4 areas to visit when you are here.

Ian
Old Sep 13th 2009, 8:13 am
Just Joined

thank you all, for the advice and links this will keep me busy.