Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - any problem areas?

Melbourne - any problem areas?

Old Feb 24th 2004, 3:49 pm
Put big light on!

Sausage is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne - any problem areas?

Just wondering, are there many known problem areas in Melbourne? If so, which parts? I'm hoping to go to the Mooroolbark\Chirnside Park\Lilydale area (North-East). I should be okay there, I guess?

I'm sure everywhere has it's problems with crime and trouble, but I've not actually heard any bad stuff about Melbourne yet.

Roy
Old Feb 24th 2004, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne - any problem areas?

Originally posted by Sausage
Just wondering, are there many known problem areas in Melbourne? If so, which parts? I'm hoping to go to the Mooroolbark\Chirnside Park\Lilydale area (North-East). I should be okay there, I guess?

I'm sure everywhere has it's problems with crime and trouble, but I've not actually heard any bad stuff about Melbourne yet.

Roy
Avoid the Springvale, and Noble Park area in the east (these are notorious druggie zones), Sunshine out to the west is also pretty, um, you know!

It's very nice out round Lilydale. The one bad thing I have heard a few times from people in Melbourne is that Lilydale is notorious for having your car broken into at the railway station - I don't suppose that is necessarily saying the area is bad - more that opportunist thieves know that the station car park is probably unmanned and that with people leaving cars unattended for 10 hrs a day they have plenty of time for break ins. But you're about 40kms out in Lilydale so it's a bit more peaceful out that way.

Melbourne has crime problems like any other city in the world - you're never going to escape it. Just research your areas carefully. Try reading the Herald Sun each day to get a feel for what goes on the city. www.heraldsun.com.au

There are 0ver 300 suburbs in Melbourne, which gives you an idea of how big it is.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 4:03 pm
Put big light on!

Ello Paw,

Thanks for that. Very useful info. I'll check out the link to the heraldsun site.

I am quite aware that Australia won't be the land of perfection, but I am convinced it will be a big improvement on the UK. I can't wait to get back down under.

Roy
Old Feb 24th 2004, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Ello Paw,

Thanks for that. Very useful info. I'll check out the link to the heraldsun site.

I am quite aware that Australia won't be the land of perfection, but I am convinced it will be a big improvement on the UK. I can't wait to get back down under.

Roy
Melbourne is a great city in lots of ways - so much going on (I was there for 18 months but too much of a country girl to stay in the city long-term!). Hope you have a fab time!
Old Feb 24th 2004, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

sdwis is an unknown quantity at this point

Roy
Everyone wants peace of mind regarding their safety, but no place on earth is ever going to be PERFECT. I don't know what your religious beliefs are, but in the Christian teachings murder even happened in The Garden of Eden with only one family living there.

Children are abducted and killed everyday in so-called "good neighborhoods" because everyone that lives in a good neighborhood is not always the good person we want them to be.
Sometimes even criminals from outside prey on those in "good neighborhoods" because they get into a false sense of security and believe that they don't have to lock their cars or homes, so you are inviting break-ins when you leave things easily accessible. Most criminals are quite lazy, so the best deterrent to crime, is to make it harder to commit.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 10:44 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Melbourne is a great city in lots of ways - so much going on (I was there for 18 months but too much of a country girl to stay in the city long-term!). Hope you have a fab time!
HP, where are you at the mo???
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sausage,

We actually live in Lilydale and our kids go to school in Mooroolbark and I've just come back from Coles in Chirnside Park, so any info you would like, just ask away!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 3:40 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by suffolkdiva
I've just come back from Coles in Chirnside Park, so any info you would like, just ask away!
How much is a lettuce
Old Feb 25th 2004, 3:43 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by hevs
How much is a lettuce
The wife thinks I have lost it because I keep looking at lettuce prices. Attempts at explanation just dig me into a deeper whole.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 3:43 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

How much is a lettuce
Cos?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 4:46 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Cos?
cos i have a bad memory and people havn't mentioned it for at least a week

and cos i'm desperately trying to think of another type of lettuce to do a joke with and i can't, hey! lets face it its not ROCKET science is it boom boom!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:27 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

cos i have a bad memory and people havn't mentioned it for at least a week

and cos i'm desperately trying to think of another type of lettuce to do a joke with and i can't, hey! lets face it its not ROCKET science is it boom boom!
LOL, I think the heats gotten to you
Old Feb 25th 2004, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

HP, where are you at the mo???
Cheshire (it's on my location....)
Old Feb 25th 2004, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sdwis
Everyone wants peace of mind regarding their safety, but no place on earth is ever going to be PERFECT. I don't know what your religious beliefs are, but in the Christian teachings murder even happened in The Garden of Eden with only one family living there.

Children are abducted and killed everyday in so-called "good neighborhoods" because everyone that lives in a good neighborhood is not always the good person we want them to be.
Sometimes even criminals from outside prey on those in "good neighborhoods" because they get into a false sense of security and believe that they don't have to lock their cars or homes, so you are inviting break-ins when you leave things easily accessible. Most criminals are quite lazy, so the best deterrent to crime, is to make it harder to commit.
Just to push the thread onto a meandering track for a moment: I don't follow any religion (I find, say, Richard Dawkins' views far more plausible) , but evolutionary 'forces' would probably prevent anywhere from being crime-free - or remain static - in the long run.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 8:29 am
Put big light on!

Originally posted by suffolkdiva
Hi Sausage,

We actually live in Lilydale and our kids go to school in Mooroolbark and I've just come back from Coles in Chirnside Park, so any info you would like, just ask away!

Hiya SuffolkDiva,

Yes, I have fond memories of Chirnside Park. I stayed there for about 3 months in 91/92. I believe it's changed quite a bit since then.

Does the oval track nearby still exist. It's where the local kids used to rugby train. I used to go running around the track or generally around the Chirnside Park area. I was much fitter back then

One night, in the dark, I set off for a run around the chirnside park perimeter. There used to be some fields around the back of the shopping complex. As I approached this part, I was hit by an almighty stench and then within seconds...wait or it.... a bloomin ELEPHANT came into view. It was lay down and chained to a post.

I tell no lie! I almost jumped out of my runners! However, this elephant was part of the circus that had just moved in. I was totally unaware of this and did have a minor fright for a few seconds. It was dark and not well lit at all!

When I get to Oz, Chirnside is definitely somewhere I'd like to stay. Anywhere around that area would suit me fine.

So, SuffolkDiva, how long have you been there in Lilydale? My sister lives in Kilsyth (used to live in Sugarloaf Drive in Chirnside Park) and has been in Oz since 1988. Any new developments around the area? I believe there's a cinema addition to Chirnside??

Roy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.