Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne alone?

Melbourne alone?

Old Jan 26th 2006, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

lizabee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne alone?

I'm moving to Australia for a short time (a year or two) in August. I was planning on Sydney but alot of people from back here in the UK say I'd prefer Melbourne. I've visited Sydney and loved it, but have not been to Melbourne. I can get a job in either city, but am really struggling to decide where to head. If I go to Melbourne I'd be moving alone, where as in Sydney I'd have 5 close friends nearby and could house share, am I foolish to even consider Melbourne or is it easy to meet people?
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne alone?

Originally Posted by lizabee
I'm moving to Australia for a short time (a year or two) in August. I was planning on Sydney but alot of people from back here in the UK say I'd prefer Melbourne. I've visited Sydney and loved it, but have not been to Melbourne. I can get a job in either city, but am really struggling to decide where to head. If I go to Melbourne I'd be moving alone, where as in Sydney I'd have 5 close friends nearby and could house share, am I foolish to even consider Melbourne or is it easy to meet people?
Lizabee,

We arrived in Melbourne 5 months ago as I was taking up a job here. I'd never visited and knew nothing about the place. Had previously visited Perth and Sydney and would have prefered to be based in Sydney. However Melbourne is a fabulous city, much more relaxed and easy going. I'm told by folks that have lived in Sydney and Melbourne that Melbourne is a much better place to live and travel around.

We've been made to feel very welcome indeed and have already made a number of good friends. We are a family of four though but I'm sure that you would have no problems at all. There is so much to see and do and get involved in that it would not be at all difficult to build up a social life quite quickly.

There are also a number of folks from here that are based in and around Melbourne and there are a few meets from time to time.

Through my job I'm in the process of bringing out a good friend from London who does not have any family with him. He shares the same concern. If I felt it was a problem I would not try to convince him.

Sydney is also very close and reasonably cheap to travel to so you could remain in regular contact with your friends.

All the very best and good luck with your decision.

Colin
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

I love Melbourne and it's just right for us. BUT if Sydney ticked your boxes and you have friends there and you have a house share set up, then what extra do you think you may gain by changing destination?

Please don't think I'm trying to put you off Melbourne - to most of us it's friendly, beautiful, has plenty to do and is probably the best place to live but as gets said so often, we're all different.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:00 am
Just Joined

lucky has a brilliant futurelucky has a brilliant futurelucky has a brilliant futurelucky has a brilliant futurelucky has a brilliant futurelucky has a brilliant future

There is very little to choose between the cities - however I would go where my friends were - the first year is usually the hardest - having friends will make it much simpler - you can always move to melbourne once you have got to sydney
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:37 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Flip, I love Melbourne to bits but if Sydney did it for you then why take a chance on a city you haven't been to.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:42 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
I agree with Flip, I love Melbourne to bits but if Sydney did it for you then why take a chance on a city you haven't been to.
I'll have to agree with Flip and Bordy we love Melbourne, but you like Sydney and what price can you put on having friends close by.

I can't see any reason why you wouldn't choose a city you know you like where you'll have friends.

Best of luck with whatever decision you make.