Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Advice appreciated - about to relocate

Melbourne Advice appreciated - about to relocate

Old Jun 24th 2005, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Melbourne Advice appreciated - about to relocate

I'm about to relocate at short notice from the UK (working in London, live in Hampshire) to Melbourne and would greatly appreciate some advice. The package and relocation assistance is pretty good so I'm looking for recommendations for areas for us (mum, dad and 2 kids - 5 year old and 3 year old) to live in or around Melbourne. I believe I'll be based in the CBD and don't mind a commute of up to 1 hour each way.

Many thanks in advance - somewhat daunted by this !

Cheers.
Old Jun 24th 2005, 10:51 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne Advice appreciated - about to relocate

Can't really help with your question in detail as we are in the same position as you. I am presently sat in a hotel room in Hong Kong on our way to Melbourne - we arrive tomorrow morning. However, my husband will be working in CBD and we are initially staying in South Yarra which I believe is on the tram and train link and has easy access to CBD. We will be looking at Bayside area when we get there.

Do you know when you will be coming? Anyway welcome to the Forum and best of luck for your relocation.
Old Jun 24th 2005, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Can't really help with your question in detail as we are in the same position as you. I am presently sat in a hotel room in Hong Kong on our way to Melbourne - we arrive tomorrow morning. However, my husband will be working in CBD and we are initially staying in South Yarra which I believe is on the tram and train link and has easy access to CBD. We will be looking at Bayside area when we get there.

Do you know when you will be coming? Anyway welcome to the Forum and best of luck for your relocation.
Thanks for the welcome Vanessa. I think I'm coming out on July 18th for 3 weeks, back to the UK for a month and then out to Melbourne for good from mid September. Have no idea at all yet as to where to look ! Who will your husband be working for ? Cheers, Colin
Old Jun 24th 2005, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Thanks for the welcome Vanessa. I think I'm coming out on July 18th for 3 weeks, back to the UK for a month and then out to Melbourne for good from mid September. Have no idea at all yet as to where to look ! Who will your husband be working for ? Cheers, Colin
He will be working for Fairfax at The Age. What about you?
Old Jun 24th 2005, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vanessa
He will be working for Fairfax at The Age. What about you?
I'll be working for National Australia Bank at their head office - but not too sure where that is !
Old Jun 24th 2005, 11:19 pm

I'll be working for National Australia Bank at their head office - but not too sure where that is !

I wouldn't worry. I am sure someone will tell you before you start!!!!
Old Jun 24th 2005, 11:30 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

They have a new building down at Docklands in CBD, close to Telstra Stadium where the Aussies take on Italy at Rugby later today.

Last edited by wmoore; Jun 26th 2005 at 3:27 pm. Reason: OP's Request
Old Jun 25th 2005, 12:38 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
close to Telstra Stadium
In Sydney?
Old Jun 25th 2005, 2:18 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hevs
In Sydney?
Ok Smart ass I meant Telstra Dome.

Now less of your cheek or I'll tell everyone about your lovely warm new heating system this morning.
Old Jun 25th 2005, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm about to relocate at short notice from the UK (working in London, live in Hampshire) to Melbourne and would greatly appreciate some advice. The package and relocation assistance is pretty good so I'm looking for recommendations for areas for us (mum, dad and 2 kids - 5 year old and 3 year old) to live in or around Melbourne. I believe I'll be based in the CBD and don't mind a commute of up to 1 hour each way.

Many thanks in advance - somewhat daunted by this !

Cheers.
Hello and welcome!
Melbourne is a very large city and only you can decide which area would suit. You could live virtually anywhere and be within an hours commute. We are in Ivanhoe which is 22 mins north east of the city on the train. Some areas are obviously alot more pricey than others so alot will depend on your budget. The area where we are is very nice with lots of parks. We can get to the sea (bayside) in around 30 mins, or to the 'ocean' in just over an hour. Your best bet is to get hold of a Melways map and check out property on www.realestate.com.au which has a rental and a for sale section. That will give you an idea of what you can get for your money. Then its really just a question of driving around the suburbs you think might suit to get a feel for the area. Would you be commuting in on the train?

There are many nice areas (as lots on here will tell you!) but if you rent initially at least you will have the option to move again fairly easily. Please ask if there is anything specific you need to know.

Ruth
Old Jun 25th 2005, 3:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Are they sponsoring for a permanent visa or only a temporary one? The temporary visa has lots of risks and issues you need to be aware of.

Take a look at http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au

Jeremy
Old Jun 25th 2005, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

First NAB is at 500 Bourke Street, and my CV is with them and I hope they give me a job, thanks.

As for where to live. Well, to get from Flinders Street station to the end of any of the branch rail lines takes about one hour, so you can readily see that almost all of Melbourne is within your grasp. Car commuting is roughly the same in time. You haven't indicated budget, but given we are talking the banking sector and you are being relocated at short notice, I'll assume that you are not (or are not going to be) a pauper.

That does kind of leave you a large range of options so your choice is more about your lifestyle choices. There is often a local prejudice in favour of the south eastern suurbs, though.

Yuppie apartment living - Southbank, on the edge of the CBD. Walk to work, and eat well.

Some of the stereotypical well-to-do-areas in the inner SE are Prahan, Toorak and Kew. All very nice (Prahan has the fashionable Chapel Street shopping area). I'm no expert, but I'd assume these areas would command higher prices. Due south of the CBD are Port Melbourne, South Melbourne, Middle Park and Albert Park and St Kilda - the later often a day out for locals I(and a red light district in part, too, by repute), but otherwise nice areas too - kind of parallel to Islington in an odd kind of way as they were working calss districts that working class people could now lo longer remotely afford as the monied classes have moved in.

Much the same might be said of Richmond, to the east of the CBD. This too would command a highish proce, but would also have a very good train station, great shopping on Bridge Street and stuff to do at night.

For more waterfront living maybe look at Williamstown, another big beneficiary of the property boom. Never been myself.

All of the areas above are commutes well below the 1 hour limit you set.

Further east still are Croydon, Lilydale (the latter at the cusp of the Dandenong Ranges) and more - worth a look at though near the 1 hour commute.

Writing as someone who has only been living here for 4 weeks, and lives (in Mt Eliza) beyond the 1 hour commute limit you cited, I clearly cannot write with the expertise of others who may read this, and I know nothing of the north and west of Melbourne, so maybe others and can, correct me where I am inaccurate, or complete the picture.

Guide rental/purchases prices can be found at:

www.realestate.com.au

Neil
Old Jun 25th 2005, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wongstonn
First NAB is at 500 Bourke Street, and my CV is with them and I hope they give me a job, thanks.
Yes, 500 Bourke Street is where the main office is. However if you are in IT or backoffice, you'll most likely work at the Docklands near the Telstra Dome/Spencer Street station. NAB used to have offices all over CBD, at least one at the corner of Colin/William Streets, and a few more on Colin Street, etc. It all depends on what department you work for. Majority of the non-customer-facing staff are now at the Docklands though.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jun 25th 2005 at 6:23 am.
Old Jun 25th 2005, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pootle
Hello and welcome!
Melbourne is a very large city and only you can decide which area would suit. You could live virtually anywhere and be within an hours commute. We are in Ivanhoe which is 22 mins north east of the city on the train. Some areas are obviously alot more pricey than others so alot will depend on your budget. The area where we are is very nice with lots of parks. We can get to the sea (bayside) in around 30 mins, or to the 'ocean' in just over an hour. Your best bet is to get hold of a Melways map and check out property on www.realestate.com.au which has a rental and a for sale section. That will give you an idea of what you can get for your money. Then its really just a question of driving around the suburbs you think might suit to get a feel for the area. Would you be commuting in on the train?

There are many nice areas (as lots on here will tell you!) but if you rent initially at least you will have the option to move again fairly easily. Please ask if there is anything specific you need to know.

Ruth
Thanks Ruth, appreciate the advice. I'm sure I'll be back on here in the days to come with more requests for help !
Old Jun 25th 2005, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

I'd take the opportunity to try to get a shorter commute, 1/2 hr should be quite reasonable in Mel, as I reckon it largely wasted time. With a good relocation package, this should be quite affordable. However if you currently live in the country by preference rather than by economic pressure like house prices, then by all means live further out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.