Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne or Adelaide?

Melbourne or Adelaide?

Old Apr 28th 2015, 5:02 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne or Adelaide?

Originally Posted by Moses2013
So if someone has travelled a lot means they can't have an opinion. If that's the case, BE doesn't make sense.
Of course you can have an opinion.

However the way you have written about Adelaide, whether intentional or not, you have given the impression that you have lived there, which you neither confirm nor deny. Various posters have asked you directly what your experience with Adelaide is. If you were just visiting friends for a weekend and that's where your impression of Adelaide was from then just say so. If you were there working for six years installing widgets, I don't know why you can't say that either.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

northlondoner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The melbourne job market is actually very tough right now. I know its often assumed, bigger city must be more jobs, but from recent experience of moving to melbourne shows there are far more people looking for work than jobs.

I know we are not the only ones who recently found this.

Anyone coming out now, I would say visit both, come out for a few weeks and really explore the job market on the ground
Tougher than Sydney?
Old Apr 29th 2015, 7:45 am
Just Joined

jsm1421 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, once again thank you for your help. Your advice has been really helpful. We are coming to visit Australia next month so we'll make some time to visit Adelaide. We have a good feeling about Adelaide
Old May 2nd 2015, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Adelaide is a lovely small city; very different to London.
Old May 2nd 2015, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northlondoner
Tougher than Sydney?
Is Sydney tough? I don't know anyone without a job. I know a few of the tradional IT jobs have been farmed to India and even easy finance jobs going to cheap labour but thats going to happen anyway.
Old May 11th 2015, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Even Melbourne is nowhere near as busy as London. Feels more like a large town sometimes, especially when you are out in the city and bump into people you know!

So Adelaide definitely must be a lot quieter than London.

BB
I find that Melbourne has smaller pockets - so the Hoddle Grid and the St Kilda road are a lot smaller than Central London, and the City and Canary Wharf.

So it makes it quite a bit smaller.

What I like about Melbourne is the square k's of inner suburbs. Really special.
Old May 12th 2015, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Summer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond reputeSummer05 has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Adelaide for 3 and 1/5 years with my husband and three children. We also lived in London, and do so now, in East London and commuted to Central London for work( liverpool a street). We visited all the cities in Australia, I can say that Adelaide is perfect for what you are looking for. Coming from London, you might need some time to adjust to the slow pace of life and get used to the fact that there are not as many museums to visit or theaters to go to on a week end but you meet lots of nice friendly people, you go to the beach, you visit the hills and the farms and you can drive to all the nice vineyards. Unfortunately my husband ( whose English- I am not) decide to return to England because he missed it very much and we all followed suit- so not to split the family. We have been back for three years and cursed now whether to return back to Adelaide or stay in UK, as it gets complicated with the children's school.

I wished I had never returned! Thigs we do for the family!!! So anyway - Adelaide is a great place if you're looking for a quiet life but with a city feel too. Oh and we found jobs straight away when we lived there- this was however six years ago! Things may have changed now. Best of luck and keep us updated on your choice.