Reload this Page >

Melbourne or Adelaide?

Melbourne or Adelaide?

Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

kirkr99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Melbourne or Adelaide?

All,

After receiving my visa earlier this year, I am in the fortunate position of being offered 2 jobs from Australian companies prior to moving from the UK. One company is based in the Carrum Downs area of Melbourne & the other company is based in Adelaide. The Melbourne job is offering $5k better wages.
On my previous trips to Oz I never visited Adelaide, but I do have some friends based in Melbourne.
My question is, can anyone suggest which of the 2 offers would be the best to take for a young couple (under 30 just!) with an infant?

Any advice/views on the above scenario would be appreciated.

Kirkr99
Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:47 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Melbourne or Adelaide?

Originally Posted by kirkr99
All,

After receiving my visa earlier this year, I am in the fortunate position of being offered 2 jobs from Australian companies prior to moving from the UK. One company is based in the Carrum Downs area of Melbourne & the other company is based in Adelaide. The Melbourne job is offering $5k better wages.
On my previous trips to Oz I never visited Adelaide, but I do have some friends based in Melbourne.
My question is, can anyone suggest which of the 2 offers would be the best to take for a young couple (under 30 just!) with an infant?

Kirkr99
Congratulations on getting TWO job offers. I can't really help you on which to accept as I do think it has to be a personal decision.

We were always going to Adelaide and through the AB site I have met and made some brilliant friends there. One of the reasons why I liked Adelaide was that it suited a young family growing up and was large enough but not too large a place to live. Hubbie then found out he has rellies in Geelong in Victoria and we started also looking into Victoria - I do like the look of both places but as we are STNI with SA we plan to go to Adelaide first and use the 2 years to travel around both SA and Victoria then decide later on which one we want to settle down in.

If you have friends it would be a great help especially as you have a young child - all the back would be wonderful but then that said if you go on AB site you will soon make loads of friends and they are all very helpful to anyone moving to Adelaide.

Is there anyway you could have a holiday first and check out both before you settle down to a job or do you need to start work asap?

Sasha
Old Dec 14th 2004, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

kirkr99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately, they both want me to start asap, so the holiday option is out.
Thanks for the advice though!
Old Dec 14th 2004, 6:01 pm
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

bert-doozer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by snappy
Congratulations on getting TWO job offers. I can't really help you on which to accept as I do think it has to be a personal decision.

We were always going to Adelaide and through the AB site I have met and made some brilliant friends there. One of the reasons why I liked Adelaide was that it suited a young family growing up and was large enough but not too large a place to live. Hubbie then found out he has rellies in Geelong in Victoria and we started also looking into Victoria - I do like the look of both places but as we are STNI with SA we plan to go to Adelaide first and use the 2 years to travel around both SA and Victoria then decide later on which one we want to settle down in.

If you have friends it would be a great help especially as you have a young child - all the back would be wonderful but then that said if you go on AB site you will soon make loads of friends and they are all very helpful to anyone moving to Adelaide.

Is there anyway you could have a holiday first and check out both before you settle down to a job or do you need to start work asap?

Sasha
Sasha,
Have you got a web address for the AB site?

Stu
Old Dec 14th 2004, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

here you go..

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaideb...ex.php?act=idx
Old Dec 14th 2004, 7:41 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by kirkr99
All,

Kirkr99
If you were looking for work or were offered a job in Melbourne only then l would say move to Melbourne because the employment opportunities are alot better there, but because you also have been offered a job Adelaide its a tough decision. It would help if you could visit Adelaide.
Adelaide has a warmer climate, winters are not as cold as Melbourne and the summer is hotter.
The population of Melbourne is 3 times the size of Adelaide, while Adelaide has been described as a sleepy, conservative backwater, Melbourne is a more
exciting city with more things to do.
The cost of buying a house or renting and the cost of living is less in Adelaide
so earning 5K less in Adelaide won't make any difference.
Adelaide is a more Attractive city, surrounded by miles of parklands on all sides, The river Torrens flowing through it, nicer beaches then Melbourne, less
crowded and roads less conjested, Also the Adelaide hills are nice with plenty of bushwalking tracks.
Outside Adelaide there are'nt many good places nearby to holiday, while just outside Melbourne there are plenty of fantastic places such as The great Ocean road, the surf coast, the dandelong ranges, the Grampians etc.

Old Dec 14th 2004, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

While Melbourne is busier than Adelaide, you would notice it isn't as busy as a British city (great for Christmas shopping!) I love Melbourne because there are fabulous parks and you can live in a quiet area but still have all the advantages of living near a major city...there are always lots of events going on and in my experience it seems to be more family friendly than cities in UK. I have never lived in Adelaide so can;t offer a comparison between the two.
settling in wise I think its a big advantage to have a few friends nearby...instant babysitters?
Old Dec 15th 2004, 7:13 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by podgypossum
Thanks Nikki

Just in case you want the Victoria one as well it's

http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=idx

Sasha
Old Dec 15th 2004, 11:09 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussie73
If you were looking for work or were offered a job in Melbourne only then l would say move to Melbourne because the employment opportunities are alot better there, but because you also have been offered a job Adelaide its a tough decision. It would help if you could visit Adelaide.
Adelaide has a warmer climate, winters are not as cold as Melbourne and the summer is hotter.
The population of Melbourne is 3 times the size of Adelaide, while Adelaide has been described as a sleepy, conservative backwater, Melbourne is a more
The cost of buying a house or renting and the cost of living is less in Adelaide
Adelaide is a more Attractive city, surrounded by miles of parklands on all sides, The river Torrens flowing through it, nicer beaches then Melbourne, less
crowded and roads less conjested, Also the Adelaide hills are nice with plenty of bushwalking tracks.
Outside Adelaide there are'nt many good places nearby to holiday, while just outside Melbourne there are plenty of fantastic places such as The great Ocean road, the surf coast, the dandelong ranges, the Grampians etc.
no offence ,but Flinders ranges,[arkaroola]eyre peninsular, yorke peninsular, barossa valley, mt gambier, coober pedy , all out side Adelaide......... mm
Old Dec 15th 2004, 11:47 am
I AM 1 PERSON-UNDERSTAND?

SherKhan66 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by aussie73
I was under the impression that The Great Ocean Road ran from Melbourne to Adelaide?
Old Dec 16th 2004, 10:30 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SherKhan66
I was under the impression that The Great Ocean Road ran from Melbourne to Adelaide?
Sort of. It doesn't start until after Geelong and you have to rejoin the highway for quite a long way before you finally arrive in Adelaide. I take it you haven't driven that bit on your travels then
Old Dec 16th 2004, 8:50 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by SherKhan66
No the great Ocean Road ends just before Warrnambool In Victoria.