Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne.......

Melbourne.......

Old Mar 17th 2011, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne.......

Originally Posted by scotsista
You've sold it to me!! Sounds just like what we'll be looking for when we arrive in May. Will make sure to visit and check it out.
You're welcome to give me a shout if you want somebody to show you around when you get here!

You have young children don't you? How old are they?
Old Mar 18th 2011, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
You're welcome to give me a shout if you want somebody to show you around when you get here!

You have young children don't you? How old are they?
Thanks for the kind offer. May well take you up on that!

Yes, our children are 5 and 20 months. 5 year old asked if we're driving to Singapore the other day!! She's had a few wobbles recently knowing that we're leaving soon. I explained to her about keeping in touch with skype and she said "yes, but it's not the same, I can't actually touch the people". Brings a tear to my eye thinking about it..................
Old Mar 19th 2011, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Brunswick is trendy these days and a bit alternative, a lot of arty people living there, environmentally aware and politically 'left-leaning' types. It is an extremely multicultural area. It used to be mainly Italians but now there are a large number of immigrants from Middle Eastern Islamic countries.

The whole underworld link has to do with the past association with the 'Mafia' people like Gangitano and Mick Gatto, and the fact there are a lot of pubs and clubs along Sydney Road, Brunswick that have been frequented by a lot of these characters with several shooting incidents. This does not reflect the general demographics or feel of the area itself.

Sydney road is the longest continuous shopping strip in Australia from memory, Brunswick and Coburg sort of just melt in to one another and have a vaguely similar feel although one is inner suburban and the other is middle.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

MandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really nice

Still struggling with these suburbs, looked at lots and lots but can't seem to get a feel for any of them.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyB
Still struggling with these suburbs, looked at lots and lots but can't seem to get a feel for any of them.
It is very hard to get a feel for a suburb without visiting. Or from what people say about it. Any chance you could come for a few days from Christchurch and have a look around?

Are you looking to be near the beach, the CBD, the country? How big/small a house do you want? All these factors and more will allow you to eliminate some suburbs from your list (assuming you have a list) and you might be left with only a few to look at. I think you want a rent of up to $400. That alone means that unless you want a 1/2 bedroom unit/flat, you will not be able to rent in the inner suburbs. Take a map of Melbourne and look at suburbs 15km or more from the CBD and it will start you on some places.

Instead at looking at lots which will only get confusing, pick a few that fit most of your criteria and see if you can come over and have a look.

Good luck
Old Mar 28th 2011, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

MandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really niceMandyB is just really nice

Thanks, i've got the map. I've just been looking at Croydon, any opinions on there? I initially wanted to be closer to the city centre but am finding the prices too expensive. We have heard some good stuff about Lilydale but don't really want to be that far out. Croydon seems a little closer and more realistically priced. Thanks
Old Mar 28th 2011, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, i've got the map. I've just been looking at Croydon, any opinions on there? I initially wanted to be closer to the city centre but am finding the prices too expensive. We have heard some good stuff about Lilydale but don't really want to be that far out. Croydon seems a little closer and more realistically priced. Thanks
Sorry, all I know about Croydon is that it doesn't look very attractive when driving through to Lilydale and beyond (nice areas those) And there was a scandal about a doctor infecting his female patients with hep C recently Not very nice I know so I'll shut up about what I don't know well

Croydon is 45 mins from the city by train. Have you had a look at the Eltham area. It is more pleasant (to my mind) as it has a more rural feel to it whilst still being 45 mins from the city. Some areas of Greensborough and Watsonia are also very nice.
This house in Watsonia is in a really nice street near a large forest reserve full of kangaroos, but only a few minutes walk from the high street. I know this because we tried to buy a house in this very street!
This house is almost on the reserve and looks OK to me.
Here's another one in Watsonia. Bathtub is a scary colour but house looks decent enough.
You can get this house in Eltham for $300. Kitchen is drab but if it is functional, does it matter?
This one looks nicer and is in a nice large street, in a hilly part of town.

These are just examples of what you can get around my area.

Can I ask why you chose the area around Croydon? Anything in particular that attracted you to that side of the city?
Old Apr 9th 2011, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, thanks for those Links. Unfortunately only got to look at a couple of those houses because i was too late and they are no longer listed. I will check out Watsonia, hadn't heard of that one before. No not looked at Eltham yet either. No particular reason why were looking at Croydon other than it was a little closer than Lilydale and the houses we checked out looked OK. That was as far as we got though i'm thinking of giving it a miss now after your advice

We are now wondering if it would be worth paying a bit extra rent to live closer to the city if it would balance with the cost of travelling into the city for work plus the time it would take. We have decided to fly over in a couple of months to check it out for ourselves, only way to be sure i think. It will be a couple of mad days checking out everything we possibly can. When we moved to NZ we had the luxury of having a nice little pot of cash, not huge but enough to have some time to find our feet. This time round thats not the case (NZ economy has pretty much eaten up everything) so we have to get things right right from the start.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

I'd take Eltham over Croydon or Watsonia any day although house prices would be higher in Eltham.

Watsonia is probably a slightly better suburb than Croydon and quite affordable.

I've heard bad things about Croydon with regards to drug use, crime problems and antisocial youth, but it has the cheapest housing of all those areas so that's the trade off.

Eltham is a very nice area though. Leafy and attractive, native bushland and countryside nearby, almost a semi rural feel but still close to Melbourne.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 11:38 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

We are just about to move up to "The Hills" or the Dandenong Ranges (please dont confuse it with Dandenong!!!) We will be in Selby which is fairly rural and the only transport is Puffing Billy However its a 3 min drive from Belgrave. Belgrave is, to me, like a market town in the UK. It has a high street with shops, banks, pubs, a small cinema, real estate agents etc. It is the start of the train line into the city and I'm pretty sure its about 50 mins to the CBD, but would need to check. As we dont work in the CBD its no issue to us. To drive in will take about 40 mins as long as its not peak hour. There are good primary schools and secodary in the area, both state and private. Its extremely pretty and some of the scenery is breathtaking as you can see the city skyline in places.

We have lived here for nearly 8 years and this is our 3rd move. The first house was in a tiny "hamlet"called Harkaway, but the house was too small when number 3 made an appearence We then moved to Berwick, but its doing my head in here, to may new estates, to much traffic and not enough infrastructure, IMHO. At least in the established suburbs it is what it is, and in the hills they cant build any big roads or any estates...BUT again its down to personal preference
Old Apr 10th 2011, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I would look at the Metlink site and follow the train lines out from the city.

http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/

For me I have to live near the sea so I like the bayside suburbs and there are a lot.

Glen Waverley is a popular suburb as the train line is particularly good to the city. Also has good schools. Its not near the beach but its a handy suburb and good starting point.

I would go for the more established suburbs, older property perhaps not so glam but the services are all there and there is not such a drain on them as there are in the newer areas. Also internet access is better.

There are many reasonable suburbs commutable to the CBD.

I am sure that once you look at a rental you will be able to decide whether the street is a good one or not by the houses roundabout it.

Happy hunting.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 9:36 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

To match the requirements of your original post, I would generally agree with any suggestions for NE suburbs in the 10-15k range from the CBD.

Good luck with the move.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
I'd take Eltham over Croydon or Watsonia any day although house prices would be higher in Eltham.

Watsonia is probably a slightly better suburb than Croydon and quite affordable.

I've heard bad things about Croydon with regards to drug use, crime problems and antisocial youth, but it has the cheapest housing of all those areas so that's the trade off.

Eltham is a very nice area though. Leafy and attractive, native bushland and countryside nearby, almost a semi rural feel but still close to Melbourne.
I think we will DEFINITELY give Croydon and wide berth. Thanks
Old Apr 11th 2011, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hevs
Belgrave is, to me, like a market town in the UK. It has a high street with shops, banks, pubs, a small cinema, real estate agents etc.
Mmmmmm this area sounds nice, will look it up. Thanks
Old Apr 11th 2011, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hevs
but its doing my head in here
Ha ha, i love that saying, don't here it much over here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.