Wikiposts

Melbourne?

Old Aug 19th 2009, 12:36 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne?

Originally Posted by bigAPE
I'd second that.

OP - What you have to remember is that people up North (Sydney, Birsbane) will always tell you that their climate is better, their beaches are better, etc. Which is all true, but what use is that when there is nothing else to do? Melbourne is the Sporting capital of the southern hemisphere (possibly the world), simply everything is done here. Pretty much every major sport can be watched easily, cheaply and with the whole family in a safe fun environment. The entire bay is pretty much beaches all the way around, with serious coatsal surf (if that is what youre after) about an hour away. There are countless bars, cafes, restaurants and theatres. Concerts, art exhibits, ballet, you name it. Skiing is just 3 hrs away (we went to Buller for a long weekend the other week and had a great time) in the Winter.

Melbourne has a lot to offer and there is more to life in Australia than sun and warm beaches. Don't get caught up with the product brochures, think about what makes you happy when you're not at the beach and come to a decision.

Al
great post... Melbourne is a superb place. It's a little bit cold and grey in winter, but as bigAPE suggests, you have to balance this out with the other things that a place offers. Palm island in Qld has great weather, but we're not all rushing to move there.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 12:37 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

I would probably say that Melbourne is the best/ most vibrant city in Australia.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I would probably say that Melbourne is the best/ most vibrant city in Australia.
There is no probably about it, Sydney has done nothing since the Olympics and has little soul, and many Sydney-siders will now agree due to the lack of decent cafes, lane ways etc in their city. All fur coat and no knickers.

As for Melbourne's weather, you would have to be mental to say it is similar to the UK. Grey days are actually pretty rare and in any case they are not that low claustrophobic cloud that the UK gets. There is hardly any rain and the climate is easily suitable for outdoor living 9 months of the year.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 1:01 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
There is no probably about it, Sydney has done nothing since the Olympics and has little soul, and many Sydney-siders will now agree due to the lack of decent cafes, lane ways etc in their city. All fur coat and no knickers.

As for Melbourne's weather, you would have to be mental to say it is similar to the UK. Grey days are actually pretty rare and in any case they are not that low claustrophobic cloud that the UK gets. There is hardly any rain and the climate is easily suitable for outdoor living 9 months of the year.
No doubt. (Inner) Sydney is beautiful, but it's like a Miss World entry, beautiful to look at but scratch the surface and there's not much there.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about

Only been in Victoria a short time and most of that time has been during winter. My experience is during winter is the weather is good enough to sit out and drink coffee/beer about 3/4 days a week. Autumn is stunning with temps of mid to high 20s with an odd day reaching into the 30s and no sign of any rain. I have found the winter here similar to summer in Scotland.

Melbourne from my limited experience is a superb city full of great food, art, culture, sport and exciting nightlife. Yes the shopping looks good too, but that’s not the main focus of life here. General vibe of the place is good as the people are generally friendly and up beat.

Beaches are plentiful and of a high standard, I live in Torquay 1 hour West of the city and love the beaches. The Great Ocean road has some special spots on it with stunning beaches and lovely little towns to stop off at along the way. We have friends in Mordialic, which is in the city limits of Melbourne nice suburb in general with a decent beach; Williamstown also has a nice beach.

Overall it’s a vibrant and for the most part attractive state with a great capital city
Old Aug 19th 2009, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Melbournes beaches are way down on the list of priorities of whats great about this city. It's the City itself that is the best thing about it. The Vibe and buzz sells Melbourne on it's own. The fact that it has some of the best coastline in Aus at it's doorstep is just one of the bonus points. With Wilsons Prom to the East and the Great Ocean Rd to the west, add that to the fact that beaches are way down the list when people start talking about what is great about Melbourne, then you may have an idea why this City just grows and grows and grows on you.

Melbourne always pops up in the Twenty top Cities in the world, occasionally it makes top spot. You have to live here for a while..... Then travel to appreciate really why.

In fact if there is anything negative about living in Melbourne, it's the fact that it makes every other Cities faults glaringly apparent when one travels.

BTW.... I'd guesstimate I'm just over 1 hour from the great surf beaches along the great ocean rd... Including Bells... whereas right now... I'm less than 20 mins from 6 Major shopping centers... and a multitude of diverse shopping strips (in fact one is 2 mins walk up the road) which I'm just about to visit to buy the wife a last minute Bday present, for her Bday tomorrow... Besides that would have well over 200 restaurants within 20 mins of my house.... probably more..... Including about 50 up the road, within 10 mins of my house. All depends on what is important in your life.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 19th 2009 at 5:27 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace is an unknown quantity at this point

We lived in Melbourne in 2005 and loved it sooooo much that we started putting things in place to get a visa asap. I am very jealous of you!!!

It is completely different to Perth though, obviously. There are some great beaches in and around Melbourne. The things everyone else has covered above basically says it all. You do get 4 seasons in one day but not to the extreme you get in Britain. I have heard people complain a little about the weather in Perth always being hot and the same all the time so maybe starting out somewhere that is a litte tiny bit (but not much really) like the UK in the fact that the weather changes MIGHT help ease the homesickness.

Anyway, good luck with your decision. I wish we had a job to go to in Melbourne so we could just head off now...

Originally Posted by aqualiv
We were originaly wanting to move to Perth but it is looking like melbourne is more likely due to husbands profession in I.T.
Doesn't Melbourne have a climate more like Britain? Also when I look it up there seems little mention of beaches and more about shopping
So what are the good points?

Olivia
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:34 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mike 3G
Only been in Victoria a short time and most of that time has been during winter. My experience is during winter is the weather is good enough to sit out and drink coffee/beer about 3/4 days a week. Autumn is stunning with temps of mid to high 20s with an odd day reaching into the 30s and no sign of any rain. I have found the winter here similar to summer in Scotland.

Melbourne from my limited experience is a superb city full of great food, art, culture, sport and exciting nightlife. Yes the shopping looks good too, but that’s not the main focus of life here. General vibe of the place is good as the people are generally friendly and up beat.

Beaches are plentiful and of a high standard, I live in Torquay 1 hour West of the city and love the beaches. The Great Ocean road has some special spots on it with stunning beaches and lovely little towns to stop off at along the way. We have friends in Mordialic, which is in the city limits of Melbourne nice suburb in general with a decent beach; Williamstown also has a nice beach.

Overall it’s a vibrant and for the most part attractive state with a great capital city
Yes there are great beaches as good as the rest of OZ but they are not right in the city like Perth you have to travel 45m - 1 hour to get to the really good beaches.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Yes there are great beaches as good as the rest of OZ but they are not right in the city like Perth you have to travel 45m - 1 hour to get to the really good beaches.
Very true !
Old Aug 19th 2009, 7:55 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Well I guess if you have't a job the best place is to have a beach close by then
Old Aug 19th 2009, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

randomuser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
scratch the surface and there's not much there.
except maybe rats. and roaches!!
Old Aug 19th 2009, 10:36 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne?

OP - What you have to remember is that people up North (Sydney, Birsbane) will always tell you that their climate is better, their beaches are better, etc. Which is all true,
Partly disagree mate, Melbourne's beaches are waaaaay better than Brisbane's mud flats. One of the reasons we chose Melbourne over Brisbane was better beaches.

The beaches of places like Bribie Island and parts of the Gold Coast are lovely but they are as far from Brisbane as the Great Ocean Road is from Melbourne.

Buzzy
Old Aug 19th 2009, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Partly disagree mate, Melbourne's beaches are waaaaay better than Brisbane's mud flats. One of the reasons we chose Melbourne over Brisbane was better beaches.

The beaches of places like Bribie Island and parts of the Gold Coast are lovely but they are as far from Brisbane as the Great Ocean Road is from Melbourne.

Buzzy
The Great Ocean Rd is the same time as Bribie? Does Melbourne turn you all delusional....I think you need to add "drug taking capital of the world" to the "capital of the world" lists you all seem to keep down there

Last edited by fish.01; Aug 19th 2009 at 11:26 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd second that.

OP - What you have to remember is that people up North (Sydney, Birsbane) will always tell you that their climate is better, their beaches are better, etc. Which is all true, but what use is that when there is nothing else to do?
I would agree with that....if it was true...
Old Aug 19th 2009, 11:35 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne?

Originally Posted by fish.01
The Great Ocean Rd is the same time as Bribie? Does Melbourne turn you all delusional....I think you need to add "drug taking capital of the world" to the "capital of the world" lists you all seem to keep down there

errr Bribie island is about 90 mins drive from Brisbane. The Great Ocean Road is about 90 mins drive from Melbourne.

Can't see what's delusional about that.....

Buzzy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.