melbourne

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

lesley price is an unknown quantity at this point
Default melbourne

We are considering migrating to Melbourne. Not started the process yet just doing some research. My husband is a Clinical psychologist and I am a social worker. We have 2 children 9 and 14. Any help and advice welcome.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 4:57 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: melbourne

Originally Posted by lesley price
We are considering migrating to Melbourne. Not started the process yet just doing some research. My husband is a Clinical psychologist and I am a social worker. We have 2 children 9 and 14. Any help and advice welcome.

What kind of help & advice would you like? Have you been out here before?

If there are any specific things you need help with just shout, we will only be to happy to help out.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

SMIILE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lesley, you need to check out:

1) www.immi.gov.au/ Download booklet 6. This has all the info you need on the basic requirements of skilled migration.

2) www.aasw.asn.au/ This site contains the info you would need to get a social work occupational assessment. (Needed before you can apply)

3) www.migration.vic.gov.au/ This site contains information about migration to Victoria (Melbourne). Also contains information about State Territory Nomination Independent (STNI) which is the route I took. (Its quicker and you only need 70 points instead of 120).

4) misc.immigration.australia+nz Check out this newsgroup. Its where people share experiences of the process.

5) This forum is a wealth of information and is populated by interesting and generally helpful people. (Thanks all )

Be aware that it takes a lot of effort and time just to apply. You will need to get lots of documents to prove your experience, qualifications etc. You also need to undergo a health assessment and character check. A piece of advice would be to remember to keep copies and originals of everything you submit. I didnt and ended up having to get a lot of them again. Please PM me if I can help you further.

Good luck!
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 9:53 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Lesley,

As Bordy says, there are many of us who've made it over here after a long, complex process (!), & would be happy to help & answer specific questions.

If you decide to go for State of Vic Nomination, the site www.migration.vic.gov.au is a good place to start. The Vic immi unit has very nice helpful staff, too.

For other stuff like house prices, migration costs, how much cars are etc, just ask us lot!

Good luck!

Anya.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 10:25 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=anya4oz]Lesley,

Melbournehelp is here to assist with aspects relating to your post arrival in Melbourne.
I can send you some info if you email me.
We are the only settlement advisors based in Melbourne who can provide tailored solutions to assist your early settlement needs.

melhelp
Regards,

Steve
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

Goodluck! Here is the website of the Australian Psychological Society -http://www.psychsociety.com.au/ - worth a look to find out about costs of registration as a psychologist in Victoria...seems to be lots of demand for qualified clinical psychologists you'll be pleased to hear!
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MrsMangle
Goodluck! Here is the website of the Australian Psychological Society -http://www.psychsociety.com.au/ - worth a look to find out about costs of registration as a psychologist in Victoria...seems to be lots of demand for qualified clinical psychologists you'll be pleased to hear!
...me again...just a thought, but with those types of occupations (assuming you have relevant experience) it may actually be possible to be sponsored by an employer who is looking to fill vacancies? This is generally a much quicker process and the employer would probably help you out with some of the costs associated with moving....
Old Aug 24th 2004, 12:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsMangle
...me again...just a thought, but with those types of occupations (assuming you have relevant experience) it may actually be possible to be sponsored by an employer who is looking to fill vacancies? This is generally a much quicker process and the employer would probably help you out with some of the costs associated with moving....
Most Australian employers will not sponsor unless they're absolutely desperate (ie can't find anyone locally).

And if you do find a sponsoring employer, it's always worth making sure they sponsor for a *permanent* visa and not a temporary one.

Employees on temporary visas suit some employers, but the 457 visa has a range of risks and problems and agents in Australia regularly see people on this visa who are in a total mess. Normally because the relationship with their employer has broken down, and as they are not permanent residents they haven't got the freedom to leave and find another job.

Jeremy
Old Aug 26th 2004, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

lesley price is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SMIILE
Hi Lesley, you need to check out:

1) www.immi.gov.au/ Download booklet 6. This has all the info you need on the basic requirements of skilled migration.

2) www.aasw.asn.au/ This site contains the info you would need to get a social work occupational assessment. (Needed before you can apply)

3) www.migration.vic.gov.au/ This site contains information about migration to Victoria (Melbourne). Also contains information about State Territory Nomination Independent (STNI) which is the route I took. (Its quicker and you only need 70 points instead of 120).

4) misc.immigration.australia+nz Check out this newsgroup. Its where people share experiences of the process.

5) This forum is a wealth of information and is populated by interesting and generally helpful people. (Thanks all )

Be aware that it takes a lot of effort and time just to apply. You will need to get lots of documents to prove your experience, qualifications etc. You also need to undergo a health assessment and character check. A piece of advice would be to remember to keep copies and originals of everything you submit. I didnt and ended up having to get a lot of them again. Please PM me if I can help you further.

Good luck!
Thanks for all that useful info. Our biggest concern at present is our eldest son who is just going into year ten, therefore stating his GCSE's. Obviously by the time we get a visa he will be half way through his courses and 15years old. He is keen to go but we are concered it will really mess up his education. Does anybody have any experience of this or any advice.
Cheers all.
Lesley
Old Aug 27th 2004, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all that useful info. Our biggest concern at present is our eldest son who is just going into year ten, therefore stating his GCSE's. Obviously by the time we get a visa he will be half way through his courses and 15years old. He is keen to go but we are concered it will really mess up his education. Does anybody have any experience of this or any advice.
Cheers all.
Lesley
Lesley,
I've sent you a PM .
Someone once said to me that as long as you plan to stay in Melbourne you are not messing up his education, the VCE, taken yr 11, 12 , qualification is whats recognised in OZ so if he goes onto a TAFE or UNI that is what will be required. I've sent you a few education websites.
Hx
Old Oct 1st 2004, 10:19 am
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helinuk
Lesley,
I've sent you a PM .
Someone once said to me that as long as you plan to stay in Melbourne you are not messing up his education, the VCE, taken yr 11, 12 , qualification is whats recognised in OZ so if he goes onto a TAFE or UNI that is what will be required. I've sent you a few education websites.
Hx
have to agree heli. Even private education is much more affordable here in Melb.
You won't find any problems getting jobs with either of your careers...plenty of help needed in Melbourne !

Have a look at :

infoxchange
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

patts is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
I am a nurse and we are preparing our documentation for an Independent Skills Visa, in order to immigate to Melbourne as well.
By your comments would it be quicker to apply through the STNI?
What is the difference between this and the Independent Skills Visa?
I don't know if I should post this here can someone help?