Wikiposts

Melbourne

Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
And we thought Williamstown was expensive! Oz, what's the median there then? And for fun, how about Brighton?

(Minor whinge: why do Oz real estate analysts focus on median rather than mean? Irritating, being potentially misleading.)
Mark,

Williamstown $670'ish
Brighton $990'ish

I think they use median rather than mean because there might not be a large number of sales for many suburbs in a particular month and the mean might be misleading also. I'm guessing!

As you know, but others mightn't, the median is the middle value of a list arrange from highest to lowest, so if you have 5 house sales the 3rd becomes the median.:lecture: It might also be because the real estate agents can't work out an average and the median doesn't involve a calculation.

OzTennis
Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

Sunny spells is an unknown quantity at this point

I have asked about Hampton myself in the past for the very same reason.We'd like to aim at that area or Brighton, which However, being closer to the CC is abit more expensive.

you'll see the answers in this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...5&pagenumber=4

strobngly advised against Hampton park, but Hampton sounded very nice, as the house prices suggest.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

We won't go down the road of sample size, positive and negative skewness, Me>Mo, Me<Mo etc as that would revive my unpleasant memories of the Statistics course I had to do in my degree at the dear old University of Melbourne.

I can't find x bar on the keyboard!!

OzTennis
Old Jun 14th 2004, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Sunny spells
I have asked about Hampton myself in the past for the very same reason.We'd like to aim at that area or Brighton, which However, being closer to the CC is abit more expensive.

you'll see the answers in this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...5&pagenumber=4

strobngly advised against Hampton park, but Hampton sounded very nice, as the house prices suggest.
Funny to see my old posts - I never normally look back at old threads myself!

Hampton $605'ish

It's interesting to see the effect proximity to the bay has:

Brighton $990'ish; Brighton East $655'ish
Hampton $605'ish; Hampton East $425'ish

Hampton Park doesn't even rate a mention in the REIV results but nearby areas such as Narre Warren and Berwick are in the mid to high $200's.

OzTennis
Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

If you'd like any further demographic type information on Hampton and Hampton East, there's some fairly up-to-date stuff on the Bayside municipality website on:

http://www.bayside.vic.gov.au/counci...37642D7EE8.htm

Neil
Old Jun 14th 2004, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Neil S
If you'd like any further demographic type information on Hampton and Hampton East, there's some fairly up-to-date stuff on the Bayside municipality website on:

http://www.bayside.vic.gov.au/counci...37642D7EE8.htm

Neil
And I think Buxton Real Estate agents website which covers this and other areas gets frequently mentioned too. Click on the suburb(s) on the map and away you go, suburb profiles etc:

http://www.buxton.com.au/

OzTennis
Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

jsm66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne mssing map

Sorry guys and gals,

I forgot to put this map up .. was having trbl with logging on .. so had to re-register ..
Someone tells me that the US State department says that on per-diem Melbourne is the most expensive place to stay in Oz.
Furthermore that Sydney has become the 20th most expensive city in the world.

Any comments please??

jsm66
Attached Thumbnails Melbourne-melbenv3.gif  
Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default Re: Melbourne mssing map

Originally posted by jsm66
Sorry guys and gals,

I forgot to put this map up .. was having trbl with logging on .. so had to re-register ..
Someone tells me that the US State department says that on per-diem Melbourne is the most expensive place to stay in Oz.
Furthermore that Sydney has become the 20th most expensive city in the world.

Any comments please??

jsm66
Thanks for the second map although the most important place (Williamstown) was on the first one

I started a recent thread on the cost of living issue:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=236253

OzTennis