Wikiposts

melbourne

Old Jun 3rd 2003, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Crowson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default melbourne

is it true that when eating in mel (outside) that you are bombarded and attacked by flies?is the weather really similliar to england?what other negative things are there to look out for in mel area? whats wages like yearly?in anything? what wage is considered good or bad.please send me some figures.
many thanks
m.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

chch is an unknown quantity at this point

There are annoying flies in Melbourne, those small ones that won't leave you alone, but they're no worse than anywhere else in Australia. I really don't remember being bombarded with them while eating outside. Mind you I grew up in NZ and we have flies there too (but they're less persistent) so I might be more used to them than you. I was only annoyed by them in one particular part of a street I used to walk along on the way home from the tramstop - I don't know why they used to hang around there!!

The summer is hotter than England, or London at least, and not as cold in winter, but they do get 4 seasons there. I liked the weather except when we had heatwaves - 40 degrees for several days in a row is tiring.

Negative things... hmm, actually we loved living there. We got transferred to America or we wouldn't have left - but we were living in a very nice suburb, quite close to the city. There are plenty of grotty areas of Melbourne too. They LOVE their Aussie Rules football, which I didn't realise until we got there. If you're a man you might have to at least feign an interest in it to be accepted!

Wages.. we left 3 1/2 years ago so I don't know what they're like now. Have a look at the Melbourne Age (the main newspaper there) at www.theage.com.au and check out their jobs section - that should give you a pretty good idea of wages in various areas.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by chch
There are annoying flies in Melbourne, those small ones that won't leave you alone, but they're no worse than anywhere else in Australia. I really don't remember being bombarded with them while eating outside. Mind you I grew up in NZ and we have flies there too (but they're less persistent) so I might be more used to them than you. I was only annoyed by them in one particular part of a street I used to walk along on the way home from the tramstop - I don't know why they used to hang around there!!

The summer is hotter than England, or London at least, and not as cold in winter, but they do get 4 seasons there. I liked the weather except when we had heatwaves - 40 degrees for several days in a row is tiring.

Negative things... hmm, actually we loved living there. We got transferred to America or we wouldn't have left - but we were living in a very nice suburb, quite close to the city. There are plenty of grotty areas of Melbourne too. They LOVE their Aussie Rules football, which I didn't realise until we got there. If you're a man you might have to at least feign an interest in it to be accepted!

Wages.. we left 3 1/2 years ago so I don't know what they're like now. Have a look at the Melbourne Age (the main newspaper there) at www.theage.com.au and check out their jobs section - that should give you a pretty good idea of wages in various areas.
Old Jun 3rd 2003, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

to chch
Thankyou for your reply much appreciated.We are actually a couple with 2 young children.My partner has just been offered a job in mel area.still not sure whether to take the plunge and emmergrate.need all info we can get regarding the area good or bad.schools etc.areas too. any info on anything much appreciated.