Melbourne

Old Apr 26th 2003, 7:12 pm
I liek beer

DevMountain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by h garrett
Hi
We are looking at the mornington Pen. Frankston looks a good bet. Have you looked into schools yet? if so where can i find info!
Thanks Heather
Hi Heather

sorry that its taken so long to reply about schools. Seems like we had a problem posting last night. Anyway it looks like Terry G has beaten me to it but here it is anyway:-

We looked at schools in Seaford - someone said the Highschools in Frankston are some of the better ones.

Some schools have their own web pages (look on http://www.eduweb.vic.gov.au/schoolsonline).

Most seem a bit more relaxed than schools in the UK - the one we liked has it's own farm, provides photography, guitar and piano lessons etc for all ages.

There are no stats to be taken, so you will not find any league tables as over here.

Lets hope that with all our info, we may be able to put the jigsaw together from England. Lets just hope the picture looks the same when we get there
Clare
Old Apr 27th 2003, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

hibee is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by h garrett
Originally posted by hibee
Hi Heather,
I have ben in oz for 7months now and have settled in a place called Geelong about an hour from melbourne on the other side of the water from The mornington peninsula.

Hi Jamie

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I don't know anyone in Frankston, but i have family in Rowville, at the foot of the Dandenongs. We wanted to be somewhere near a beach (as we currently live in central England), but close to family and close to the city. My cousin suggested Geelong to me the otherday on the phone.
Do you have any school age kids?
Do you know of anyother "to be avoided" areas on the peninsula?
Thanks once again, Heather
Hi Again,
Both my kids are teenagers 14,15 and at high school in geelong and loving it.

We are 10-15 minutes drive from the surf coast i:e torquay, lorne,
on the Great Ocean Rd. Geelong itself has a nice waterfront .

Although like most areas it has a few places to stay clear of.

Prices here are still rising especially near the beaches as most of the people with money from Melbourne have bought holiday homes there.

I am not sure of the Mornington Peninsula but i have a few friends i have met recently who know the area better . I will ask there advice and let you know.

How old are your kids? Have you recieved your visa yet ?
when do you expect to arrive in oz.

If you can stay with your rellies when you arrive it could give you an idea on sarrounding areas ands hopefully make your own mind up.
The best advice we got were from Aussies in shops we were purchasing goods from .I;E good ares to live , ones to keep away from, good schools etc.

If you wont to ask anything else send me an e-mail and i'll try to help.
Regards
Jamie.
Old Apr 29th 2003, 5:07 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default schools

Hi Clare
Thanks for taking the time to reply
have you been overthere , or just doing tonnes of research?
What ages are your kids?
Where are you thinking of settling?
Like you say, if we can all share loads of info it may help when we get there!
Thanks again to all!!!
Heather
Old Apr 29th 2003, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

BJKLiffey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: schools

Hi Clare
Thanks for taking the time to reply
have you been overthere , or just doing tonnes of research?
What ages are your kids?
Where are you thinking of settling?
Like you say, if we can all share loads of info it may help when we get there!
Thanks again to all!!!
Heather
Hi to everyone going to Melbourne.

Today we have booked our flights- we fly from Manchester on the 26th August .

Now time to find somewhere to live. !!!!!! :scared:
Old Jul 5th 2003, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne

Originally posted by terryg
Who's emigrating to Melbourne and why ?

Let's share our thoughts on Melbourne - The good AND the bad please...............spill the beanzzzzzz

Terry
Any more answers ?
Old Jul 5th 2003, 8:12 pm
ems
Forum Regular

ems is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all off to Mel
We're heading there in November loads of reasons why

Friends...
My hubbie has made some good friends from Mel through work and they have been very helpful and encouraging. They're heading home in Nov so we'll have a bit of a social network.

climate, cultural diversity, wildlife,beaches, national parks etc. Theres so much to do don't think we'll ever get bored.
Prices are rising but that doesn't put us off, we'd rather pay for the lifestyle than live somewhere cheaper where we may own our house outright but there's nothing to do !

Good luck everyone heading to mel

em and family
Old Jul 6th 2003, 6:43 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Just found this

http://www.ski.com.au

another reason........
Old Jul 6th 2003, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Just found this

http://www.ski.com.au

another reason........
Good call !!!!
Old Jul 6th 2003, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

My God...all these reasons for Melbourne...has everyone forgot about the racing at Phillip Island?....the track days?......not that its the main reason for going to melbourne or anything...thats would be just plain silly :-)
Old Jul 7th 2003, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by terryg
Who's emigrating to Melbourne and why ?

Let's share our thoughts on Melbourne - The good AND the bad please...............spill the beanzzzzzz

Terry
Great post terryg. Loads of helpful replies.
We're heading to Melbourne for all the reasons suggested so far plus the fact that my husband is really keen to work there (in mental health - good reputaion apparantly) and we have family contacts (tenuous though they may be).
I am really keen on the culture side plus I like the changing of the seasons.
Sounds like Mel is a good bet if all the postings are to be believed.
Bella
Old Jul 7th 2003, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah Philip Island of course but also the Great Ocean Road for motorbiking. It was nominated in MCN (I think ) as one of the ride outs to be done in your lifetime.
Hubby is SO keen.

BooBoo
Old Jul 7th 2003, 11:08 am
Just Joined

andi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accomodation In Melbourne

Dear All

My Co brother is from India and have been granted Skilled Independent Visa w.e.f 26th May 2003. He will be visiting Australia (Melbourne) on July 28th, 2003 with my wife.

He is looking for a suitable accomodation (1 Bedroom) in Melbourne, for few days after which he will look for a suitable accomodation.

Can Anybody help him out, as he is new in the city.

Regards
Old Apr 8th 2004, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

vivalasvegan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by BJKLiffey
Hi,

We are also emmigrating to melbourne and hope to be out there by October,

If anyone has any info would be great to here from anyone.

How long after your medicals and police checks went back did you receive your visa.?

ps Jan where in sunderland do you live ??,

Regards

Karen & Brendan
G'day,
I'm actually an Aussie married to a British bloke. We are going to Melbourne in October 2004 (in my case I'm going home, after a 6 year absence). My hubby received his visa, two and a half weeks after sending off the last of the paper work (police and halth checks). Really took us by surprise how quick they processed the application. It may have been due to the fact he applied as a spouse...who knows?
Don't know how well anyone here knows Melbourne, (I'm bias obviously as I'm a Melbournian), yet it has been voted one of the most livable cities in the world - and I reckon they're not too far from the truth.
Excellent food - very cosmopolitan (big on Italian, Sth East Asian, Veggie etc)
Brilliant sport viewing - A.F.L, Rugby & football (on the increase anyway), Cricket, Tennis, Golf, Grand Prix, Super bikes (on Phillip Island) etc.
Endless Entertainment - live music (Jazz, Rock, Classical...you name it), night clubs, festivals (Fringe and International Theatre Fests overlap one another, suburbian fest etc)
On the outskirts - Great Ocean Road on the West, Wilsons Prom on the East, 2 - 3 good skiing mountain areas in the north, surfing in the south west and east.
Great shopping...and pretty down to earth people...shall I go on?
Hope it goes well for you all.

Last edited by vivalasvegan; Apr 8th 2004 at 9:22 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 9:36 pm
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice

Originally posted by vivalasvegan
G'day,
I'm actually an Aussie married to a British bloke. We are going to Melbourne in October 2004 (in my case I'm going home, after a 6 year absence). My hubby received his visa, two and a half weeks after sending off the last of the paper work (police and halth checks). Really took us by surprise how quick they processed the application. It may have been due to the fact he applied as a spouse...who knows?
Don't know how well anyone here knows Melbourne, (I'm bias obviously as I'm a Melbournian), yet it has been voted one of the most livable cities in the world - and I reckon they're not too far from the truth.
Excellent food - very cosmopolitan (big on Italian, Sth East Asian, Veggie etc)
Brilliant sport viewing - A.F.L, Rugby & football (on the increase anyway), Cricket, Tennis, Golf, Grand Prix, Super bikes (on Phillip Island) etc.
Endless Entertainment - live music (Jazz, Rock, Classical...you name it), night clubs, festivals (Fringe and International Theatre Fests overlap one another, suburbian fest etc)
On the outskirts - Great Ocean Road on the West, Wilsons Prom on the East, 2 - 3 good skiing mountain areas in the north, surfing in the south west and east.
Great shopping...and pretty down to earth people...shall I go on?
Hope it goes well for you all.
Thought melbourne was nice enough but you,ve completely sold me on it now. what more could you ask for sking,surfing,sun
Stopped in st kilda when i went there looking over the park. this and sydney made my mind up about shipping out this hell hole
just hope they'll accept me
Old Apr 8th 2004, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Bluekwack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrFlibbleUK
My God...all these reasons for Melbourne...has everyone forgot about the racing at Phillip Island?....the track days?......not that its the main reason for going to melbourne or anything...thats would be just plain silly :-)
Thats our only reason to go to Melbourne!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.