melbourne

Old Apr 19th 2002, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

laurash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default melbourne

We are emigrating to Melbourne next year- does anyone have any advice on areas to live in/ schools/anything would be great!!
Old Apr 19th 2002, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Cobber is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: melbourne

Depends on how much money you have as per usual. Depends if you want inner city or outer suburbs. North East around Eltham, Montmorency, Greensborough is nice and green and hilly, although 25 min drive into town. Essendon, Ascot Vale heading more west is also nice although more expensive. There is plenty of good schools ...religous or whatever. Once again it all boils down to what sort of lifestyle you want and your resources.

Regards

Cobber
Old May 4th 2002, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

laurash is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Cobber- we don't know enough about Melbourne to be specific but after commuting from the south coast to london for 15 years a 25 minute drive seems OK! We want to live in a fairly cosmopolitan part of Melbourne but one where there are families too. Houses with fairly large gardens if possible.
Do you know anything about the job market in graphic design? My husband works in Architectural graphic design- when we went to Melbourne we didn't know where to look for job ads. Are jobs mainly advertised through recruitment consultants? Any ideas on the job market in Melbourne in general- I am a primary school teacher.
Any help is great.
Old May 4th 2002, 9:29 am
ndaltonb

Hi Cobber,

Thanks for those pointers. We are also headed Melbourne way and havn't been there yet. I'm so sad that I have a map of Melbourne already so your pointers have given me an idea of distance and 25 mins sounds great after a normal commute of 50mins.

Couple of quick questions.
1. Can you rent in and around Eltham etc?
2. Are the plot sizes around an acre? We imagine, like Jo'burg that the closer to town, the smaller the plots.

Many thanks

Nigel and Sally db