Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne with $130k per year????

Melbourne with $130k per year????

Old Apr 9th 2011, 3:07 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Melbourne with $130k per year????

To the OP to get a decent house you really need $1000pw. on 130k total that's anverage wage which in Australia won't get you near what your looking for.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

haha Weebie you're a funny guy - $130k an average wage?

Yes Australia is expensive, yes the lifestyle he proposes is going to cost him a fortune but to insinuate his wage is average is ridiculous - almost as ridiculous as your claim in another thread that $60k is living in poverty.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 4:14 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

130k is great but if it's combined within the whole family it's not that great. Hence it's vital for families in Australia to have two incomes just to get ahead.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

so before it was average now it's great....

you're all over the shop mate - try and keep in mind that folks who use this site rely on others to make informed decisions (among other resources too I hope) so you rambling off with unhelpful comments does make it rather difficult.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 4:29 am
Banned

Great if your single. With family and no other income average at best.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 4:32 am
Just Joined

jedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nice

We are a bit further down at mt Eliza but I guess pricing is going to be similar. From experience I know what's in your head for standard of accommodation and tbh you are undershooting quite a bit.. There is a dire shortage of good rentals here and you really do need to allow $50k a year for that, and realise actually finding something you'd want to be in can be hard work. Next cost is food be it in or out ... Work out what you spend a week in uk then double it. IMHO most other things like cars/insurance/utills are all comparable so you can work that out easy enough.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 4:37 am
Just Joined

jedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nicejedly1 is just really nice
Thumbs down Re: Melbourne with $130k per year????

Oh and On the pool ... If you are renting get one for sure, it gives the kids a major activity and excitement that helps them settle ... Most rental pay for maintenance anyway so a bit of skimming, sticking the creepy crawly in is all you need do. It's mid April and we've just gone over this now from the solar heating to the gas so even with this years crap weather we've had 6 months
Old Apr 9th 2011, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Weebie
on 130k total that's an average wage in Australia
130k is great ...
... income average at best.
Weebie, you're a fool - please stop posting for the sake of posting. You clearly have no idea the value of a dollar.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobgW

Id hate for you to move all this was and manage just to rent a house in Melbourne miles away from beaches and with a pool you can only use 4 months of the year, because Melbourne has UK weather, its very cold!
"Melbourne has UK weather" ?? Where did you live in the UK ?!

Sorry, as someone else has already posted comments like these are grossly inaccurate and usually from folk who have never lived here. Even having been through a pretty crap summer I would take the weather/temperature here over the UK any day.

Its not as hot, humid or dry as other parts of the country but, IMHO, that's a good thing.

We've walked the dog on the beach every night this week in shorts. Try that in the UK and certain parts of my anatomy would turn blue and drop off !

The weather is great here - hence the good lifestyle.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 4:55 am
Just Joined

Got to agree ... The description uk plus 10 deg c is bang on
In our experience. No it isn't like the cost a del sol .. Sorry gold coast :-) ... We do have seasons and varitions just like the uk. But it's autumn , we were on the beach with the dog this am also in shorts and t's, then kids had a couple hours in the pOol and were just to go do a bit of gardening ..... Yeah just like UK lol

Oh and because we live in Melbourne, when it does get a little nippy later we will be heading into a culturally rich city heading for dinner in a fine restaurant before heading out to see a play and then drinking like pomms till the wee hours :-)

Last edited by jedly1; Apr 9th 2011 at 5:01 am.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 5:30 am
heading back to oz..again

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light

Personally i dont know anything about melbourne as i live on the sunshine coast but i have to say 130k is a hell of a lot more than our $44k and we have 3 kids, we do struggle but unfortunately mechanics wage is crap here but we live in a nice area in a 4 bed house 10 minutes drive from the beach.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

collybabe... according to Weebie you must be regularly at Salvation Army and collecting food from the Smith Family - I'm sorry to hear.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by collybabe24
Personally i dont know anything about melbourne as i live on the sunshine coast but i have to say 130k is a hell of a lot more than our $44k and we have 3 kids, we do struggle but unfortunately mechanics wage is crap here but we live in a nice area in a 4 bed house 10 minutes drive from the beach.
I don't think the question was "is $130k more than $44k".

The OP wants to know if they can have a four bed house with a pool in a nice area of Melbourne and have money to spare. I believe nice parts of Melbourne are much more expensive than the Sunshine Coast and loathe as I am to say it, I do think Weebie has a point when he suggests that this is not a salary anyone will be living the high life on.

Can they survive? Of course. But I don't think that is what OP asked.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't think anyone disputes that you would not be living the high life on a single income but to claim that one is earning an average wage which is nearly double the actual national average then you are providing misleading information to the masses.

Without knowing too much about LAFHA, the OP isn't necessarily going to be living in the doldrums.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Can they survive? Of course. But I don't think that is what OP asked.
well he really asked whether they can get a 4bedroom home and have spare cash... this is achievable - everyone immediate starting thinking bayside suburbs which are some of australia's most exclusive areas....

can he have a 5br brand new home with a pool and drive an oversized v8 family sedan on $130k in epping... absolutely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.