Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In Mel on Partner Visa - whats next?

In Mel on Partner Visa - whats next?

Old Sep 28th 2009, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

MeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant future
Default In Mel on Partner Visa - whats next?

I have arrived few days ago.. sorted accommodation, applied for medicare and TFN and started to look for work.
Having tough time to get on Virginmobile plan as I am on "temporary visa" but hopefuly will sort it out soon.

My question is, is the MEDICARE registration and card enough or do I need to do anything else? Should I organize additional insurance or will I get one when I get a job?
I filled up a page and signed and was told to wait 3 weeks to get my card...so not sure how will I pay for it.

If you have got a life insurance, I would appreciate if you could let me know any tips on who you use. I have Life Insurance plan from Dubai with Zurich Life, but my kind of program does not exist in Oz so I guess I will have to get a new one as would like to have something organized locally.

Thanks for any response
Old Sep 28th 2009, 12:50 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In Mel on Partner Visa - whats next?

You don't need to do anything else about the Medicare card. Not sure what you mean about paying for it? Do you mean the card or any treatment you may need before the card comes through? Did they give you the Medicare number because that's all you need to see a doctor.

When we first arrived we didn't bother with plans, just went with a pre paid but I think things have changed, we didn't need to show any id, I think you do now.

We have Suncorp life insurance but everyone is different and will get different quotes. No idea if they're going to pay out if required - somehow not sure I want to find out just yet

Welcome to Aus
Old Sep 28th 2009, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

MeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant future

Thanks! and thanks for your advise, somehow I thought it occurs some monthly payment.
Yes, I got a number...it shows "visitor" valid till 23 sep 2010.

I saw some posts of people saying that they added some other insurances covering ambulance, and other stuff but now not sure whether it was with medicare or a private insurance... mmm will have to search that again.

Great now only to get a job and I am sorted
Old Sep 29th 2009, 12:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's definitely worth getting Ambulance cover if nothing else. If you need an ambulance and don't have cover, it will cost a lot of money - no idea how much, we're in QLD and our Ambulance cover is paid automatically through our electricity bills.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 12:31 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaiboy
I have arrived few days ago..
You poor thing! Must've been a shock...worst weather I've seen since I've been here - horrible!!

You should be able to get private medical cover which covers ambulance although it can be a bit more tricky when on the provisional part of a partner visa. Alternatively you can purchase ambulance cover on its own for next to nothing.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 3:03 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Give your TFN to the bank and your superannuation company when you get a job, otherwise you'll be taxed higher. Most superannuation companies provide life insurance (but not private medical) as part of their cover.

And definitely get ambulance cover (can cost thousands here if you don't have it).
Old Sep 29th 2009, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

I have arrived few days ago.. sorted accommodation, applied for medicare and TFN and started to look for work.
Having tough time to get on Virginmobile plan as I am on "temporary visa" but hopefuly will sort it out soon.

My question is, is the MEDICARE registration and card enough or do I need to do anything else? Should I organize additional insurance or will I get one when I get a job?
I filled up a page and signed and was told to wait 3 weeks to get my card...so not sure how will I pay for it.

If you have got a life insurance, I would appreciate if you could let me know any tips on who you use. I have Life Insurance plan from Dubai with Zurich Life, but my kind of program does not exist in Oz so I guess I will have to get a new one as would like to have something organized locally.

Thanks for any response
To sort out your mobile, get the plan in your partner's name. Otherwise, go to a different company. Not long after we arrived over here (I was on a temporary spouse visa), 3 were happy for me to sign up for a 2 mobile contracts if I wanted to. Fortunately, work give me a phone, so I didn't need to take them up on it.

You don't need to pay for your Medicare card.

It's unlikely that your work will pay for health insurance. If you're going to be earning more than $146k between you, get couple's health insurance to avoid an extra 1.5% tax being deducted from your pay packet. If you're over 30 and have just arrived in the country, you have a certain amount of time in which to get private health insurance after which you'll pay a surcharge to your health fund.

Good luck!

Steve

Last edited by lonndongeek; Sep 29th 2009 at 3:49 am.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Thanks! and thanks for your advise, somehow I thought it occurs some monthly payment.
Yes, I got a number...it shows "visitor" valid till 23 sep 2010.

I saw some posts of people saying that they added some other insurances covering ambulance, and other stuff but now not sure whether it was with medicare or a private insurance... mmm will have to search that again.

Great now only to get a job and I am sorted
Medical costs still confuse me over here after 3 years. The medicare card is a reciprocal one unless you are perm resident or citizen. It needs to renewed every year.
If you visit the doctor you will have to pay at the surgery then you can claim 50% back at a medicare office (about $65 and you get $32.50 back). I have been to some doctors who bulk bill though, I paid nothing and never received a bill for 50% of the charge. So I'm not sure why bulk billing doctors are free.

I always thought you had to pay for an ambo too. Recently I ended up in hospital via ambo. Filled all the forms saying I wanted to pay by private medical cover (thinking the ambo was about $350). A guy came round before I was discharged to get my signature and told me to fill in the form to claim on medicare as it was free. So I did that and not received a bill for anything. Again confused. If I had of claimed on private cover I would of had to pay 10% of the bill.

I would definately get private cover. Big compaines offer it as part of your job package. I got mine through my job and it pays 90% of the bill. you can claim for opticians, dentist, massages and other therapies on it. There is a limit per category on claims, such as $500 a year on opticians etc.

I also had to have a wisdom tooth out about a year ago. The bill was $1250, paid on credit card and claimed $1125 back :-D

When you need expensive medical treatment you will need private cover or need deep pockets!!
Old Sep 29th 2009, 4:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markbhx
Medical costs still confuse me over here after 3 years. The medicare card is a reciprocal one unless you are perm resident or citizen. It needs to renewed every year.
If you are on a spouse visa you get full medicare, reciprocal arrangements are irrelevant.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the info.

I guess all I need to do now is to get a job
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markbhx
I always thought you had to pay for an ambo too. Recently I ended up in hospital via ambo. Filled all the forms saying I wanted to pay by private medical cover (thinking the ambo was about $350). A guy came round before I was discharged to get my signature and told me to fill in the form to claim on medicare as it was free. So I did that and not received a bill for anything. Again confused. If I had of claimed on private cover I would of had to pay 10% of the bill.
The ambulance situation varies depending on which State you are in. In Queensland its added onto the electric bill, but I believe its the only State that does it this way.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 4:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info.

I guess all I need to do now is to get a job
If you get a job, and have a skilled occupation, have you considered seeing if your new employer will sponsor you for permanent residence?
Old Oct 1st 2009, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

Hopefullu it wont be IF but WHEN I get a job and hope that will be sooooon....

Well have not thought about it but I may look at it but for now one step at the time!
Old Oct 1st 2009, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

ColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud of

Hopefullu it wont be IF but WHEN I get a job and hope that will be sooooon....
Hope it works out for you soon.

Not to put a damper on things but I'll advise cautious optimism. Don't get disheartened if it takes longer than you anticipated, to land that elusive first job in Australia. It is still an employers market as far as filling positions is concerned, and lack of local, Australian work experience can drag your application down a bit, especially considering you are likely competing with people who have that check-box ticked.

Good Luck
Old Oct 16th 2009, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Hi guys,

just thought of letting you know that I secured an offer and starting my new job on Monday! Really excited!!!

Now new challenge ahead!!! Choosing Super Fund! And I have no idea how it works yet....

Good luck to everyone who is still looking for a job.

Last edited by MeinMel; Oct 16th 2009 at 3:48 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.