Reload this Page >

Meeting a real Aussie

Meeting a real Aussie

Old Sep 27th 2003, 7:56 pm
4-1,4-1 i love it,love it

Arron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Meeting a real Aussie

Hi everyone,
After waiting eagerly for months we finally met one of our distant rellies from Adelaide, over here touring for a week then on to Europe. We intend settling in Adelaide when we get PR,so off we went round to the wifes sisters to meet him, armed with thousands of questions to ask (what a complete waste of time).
The mother in law was there already,couldn't get a word in edgeways. I think it was all a plot to keep us away from him as the MIL isn't keen on us moving and is(along with her sister) resorting to emotional blackmail to keep us here (nice try ,but no)
The wife was ushered away into the kitchen to constantly check if the vol-au- vents were doing ok, while i was despatched to look after uncle knobhead in the corner, with his inane "during the war..............." crap.
After returning home i felt absolutely gutted at the missed oppertunity to quiz our aussie visitor(left today).
Never mind, i'll phone him and MIL after christmas..........
FROM ADELAIDE.beer: aaaagh that's better

Arron.
ADELAIDE SOON PLEASE!!!!!
Old Sep 27th 2003, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: Meeting a real Aussie

Originally posted by Arron
Hi everyone,
After waiting eagerly for months we finally met one of our distant rellies from Adelaide, over here touring for a week then on to Europe. We intend settling in Adelaide when we get PR,so off we went round to the wifes sisters to meet him, armed with thousands of questions to ask (what a complete waste of time).
The mother in law was there already,couldn't get a word in edgeways. I think it was all a plot to keep us away from him as the MIL isn't keen on us moving and is(along with her sister) resorting to emotional blackmail to keep us here (nice try ,but no)
The wife was ushered away into the kitchen to constantly check if the vol-au- vents were doing ok, while i was despatched to look after uncle knobhead in the corner, with his inane "during the war..............." crap.
After returning home i felt absolutely gutted at the missed oppertunity to quiz our aussie visitor(left today).
Never mind, i'll phone him and MIL after christmas..........
FROM ADELAIDE.beer: aaaagh that's better

Arron.
ADELAIDE SOON PLEASE!!!!!
Awwww...what a shame Arron. But never mind, look at it positively. He will see things differently to how you will anyway. If you have lived somewhere all your life, you often get a very different view of the place compared to those who are new. But i can see how frustrated you must be.

We will be there in a few weeks...you can ask us as many questions as you like.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 8:42 pm

Thanks podgy,
Wherabouts i Adelaide are you going?

Arron
Adelaide soon please!!!!!
Old Sep 27th 2003, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Arron
Thanks podgy,
Wherabouts i Adelaide are you going?

Arron
My husband is a nurse and initially we have a months free acccomodation at the nurses residence at the hospital. After that we intend to look for somewhere to the east or south of the city. We have been looking at online real estate and rentals in areas like Flagstaff Hill, Coromandel, Stirling and surrounding areas. I am told they are the nicest areas to live and being in the hills they are a bit coller in summer.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 8:55 pm

My wife is a registered nurse, and we are also looking at Flagstaff hill and surrounding areas. Unfortunately she has only been qualified 18 mths so we've had to apply on my skills, so we won't be fast-tracked.

Arron

Old Sep 28th 2003, 6:26 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Personally, I would have been so blunt and said, "So, tell us all about Adelaide, then. Because that's where we're going."

If people don't like that then they would have left the room, leaving you to have the chat that you wanted. If the guy has been there for years, then he was obviously bursting to tell somebody of his experiences.

Don't let family get in your way or you'll regret it. If they were good family, they wouldn't stand in your way.

Just my opinion,

Steve.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

My MIL came down yesterday... there were quite a few difficult moments. It wasn't helped by the fact that hubby and BIL were fitting the kitchen floor, so I got stuck with her and SIL (nice, but quiet...) Lots of negative comments about Australia etc. etc. and so I feeling a bit delicate today!!!! (Not letting this put us off though!). Funny though, as they are in no way that close to us (didn't meet them for 7 years - had got married, had 1st child etc, then met them!).
Too early for a beer,
nevermind!
Old Sep 28th 2003, 9:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Never too early for a beer Larisa - if you need one (and I'm sure you do after the MIL) just pretend you're in Oz.....time in Brissie is now 7.39pm....so you're allowed a beer!!!