Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Adelaide?

Thoughts on Adelaide?

Old Jan 10th 2018, 8:37 am
Just Joined

moonbeam_me is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thoughts on Adelaide?

Hi,

We may be moving to Adelaide and would love to hear your experiences, good or bad, so we can be prepared 😊

Many thanks,

Mary x
Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:55 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on Adelaide?

Originally Posted by moonbeam_me
Hi,

We may be moving to Adelaide and would love to hear your experiences, good or bad, so we can be prepared 😊

Many thanks,

Mary x
Considered quiet and a backwater ("oh yeah, and Adelaide"), it's got a lot less going on than the likes of Melbourne. More a 'Southampton' than a 'Manchester'.

Even so there's some nice spots. CBD has its ring of parkland and it's river. The seashore is nearby to much of it, so sandy beaches. Or there's the hills for more wooded/views.

North and North East is generally considered 'best avoided'.

There's probably enough around to keep a family happy, but young singles - not so much. You can fly to other SE cities easy enough (or drive, I've done that).
Old Jan 10th 2018, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite pleasant. It is one of only five cities here that have a population of one million or more.

There are a number of things you can do if you are outdoorsy.

The CBD is pleasant. Adelaide is known as the "City of Churches." South Australia is the only colony that wasn't set up for convicts.

Quite a lot of nice seashore not far out of town. Barossa Valley (probably Australia's most famous wine region) is just 90 minutes away.

It is an afterthought in Australia, after Sydney-Melbourne-Brisbane-Perth (in that order).

If I remember from another thread, this is where your job is going to be. Congratulations. Adelaide is quite pleasant, if not flash, and you could do a lot worse.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Mum23 is an unknown quantity at this point

I’m curious too about the people living there.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 6:50 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonbeam_me
Hi,

Many thanks,

Mary x
What do you want to know?

There is more to Adelaide than meets the eye. It's Australia's best kept secret IMO and would like it to stay that way

It is a small, compact city, with some stunning architecture and lovely parklands. The river precinct is undergoing a huge transformation and is beautiful, with the fantastic Adelaide Oval just the other side of the river.

The suburbs vary greatly. The western suburbs and eastern suburbs are probably among the most sought after, as well as North Adelaide, but these also come at a price. Just 30 mins out of the city in most directions you will be in more affordable areas. North East (Elizabeth etc) are a less popular area.

Adelaide is a city of festivals. Tour Down Under is currently on and the Adelaide Fringe will be starting soon, as well as the myriad of events that happen throughout the year. The laneways are being revitalised with new eateries and bars and the wineries that surround Adelaide (Barossa, Adelaide Hills, McLaren Vale) have really picked up the game with events, fabulous food offerings, boutique beers etc. You could easily do a different wine tour every weekend of the year and not see them all.

There are a variety of different beaches, from stunning white sandy beaches, to rocky, stony, pebbly beaches, and not forgetting the very first nudist beach at the stunning Maslin Beach. Kangaroo Island is a fabulous holiday destination and I thoroughly recommend it if you like peace, nature, wine and food

The bad. Some say the economy is in poor shape, but I don't see too much evidence of that. However, I work in Retirement Living which is SA's biggest growth industry. There has been a lot of investment in the state, both govt (though not enough) and corporate, and there is more to come in the next few years. Politics - pretty much the same everywhere you go. Finding a job can be problematic. We have been lucky in that OH already had a job to come to and I got a job within a month of starting to look. But there are plenty of jobs out there - seek.com.au, careerone.com.au, jobsearch.com.au and even LinkedIn show plenty of jobs. you can also register with some of the larger organisations - SA Health, UniSa, Uni of Adelaide etc and there are plenty of agencies to register with.

If you want to know anything else, just let me know.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 11:16 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Fabulous post rasen, full of information from someone who lives there