British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   meet & Greet Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/meet-greet-brisbane-433814/)

Theweekshousehold Mar 11th 2007 8:20 am

meet & Greet Brisbane

Hi

Looking at moving to Brisbane in Sept have been looking north of Brisbane and would like as much information as possible on meet and greet and short term lease. Has anyone used any of these services is it just as easy to book into a hotel or apartment then look around.

Any help would be greatfully apreciated, am a bit concerned as have three children 1,2,3, so its going to be difficult managing them and looking around houses rentals so want a simple life.

Please post...........:blink:

Donna&Neil Mar 11th 2007 8:26 am

Re: meet & Greet Brisbane

Originally Posted by Theweekshousehold (Post 4506356)
Hi

Looking at moving to Brisbane in Sept have been looking north of Brisbane and would like as much information as possible on meet and greet and short term lease. Has anyone used any of these services is it just as easy to book into a hotel or apartment then look around.

Any help would be greatfully apreciated, am a bit concerned as have three children 1,2,3, so its going to be difficult managing them and looking around houses rentals so want a simple life.

Hi we have looked at www.brisbanebound.com and plan to use them when we go out. www.familyfriendlyhomes.com.au is another site you may wish to look at. Good luck. :thumbup:

Donna

kellyjs Mar 11th 2007 8:39 am

Hi
We stayed in the Manhattan on newstead apartments, reasonable prices and not too far from anything so just what you need when you first get here. I'd say dont waste your money on meet and greet services unless you can really afford it TBH.
Good luck

acbh2 Mar 13th 2007 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Donna&Neil (Post 4506372)
Hi we have looked at www.brisbanebound.com and plan to use them when we go out. www.familyfriendlyhomes.com.au is another site you may wish to look at. Good luck. :thumbup:

Donna

Family friendly homes would be $1400 just for a week :eek: Oh my god do people really pay this! I hate being ripped off. They're just playing on people's insecurities of moving to a new country:mad:

Andreaxx

esperanza Mar 13th 2007 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by acbh2 (Post 4513859)
Family friendly homes would be $1400 just for a week :eek: Oh my god do people really pay this! I hate being ripped off. They're just playing on people's insecurities of moving to a new country:mad:

Andreaxx

I've not investigated this but it strikes me that at rates like that you might as well rent somewhere for 6 months - even if you don't end up using the last two or three months! Only good for very short term.

acbh2 Mar 13th 2007 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 4513881)
I've not investigated this but it strikes me that at rates like that you might as well rent somewhere for 6 months - even if you don't end up using the last two or three months! Only good for very short term.

I agree it would def be better to go cheaper long term rental. I just followed the link and checked out there nightly rates of $198 x7 = $1400 (well almost:p )

Andreaxx

Theweekshousehold Mar 13th 2007 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by kellyjs (Post 4506411)
Hi
We stayed in the Manhattan on newstead apartments, reasonable prices and not too far from anything so just what you need when you first get here. I'd say dont waste your money on meet and greet services unless you can really afford it TBH.
Good luck

have you got any details on this place

tictac Mar 13th 2007 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by acbh2 (Post 4513942)
I agree it would def be better to go cheaper long term rental. I just followed the link and checked out there nightly rates of $198 x7 = $1400 (well almost:p )

Andreaxx

I would be extremely reluctant to commit to a long-term rental which I had not physically inspected, in an area I had not visited, especially with a young family in tow.

Websites and people's opinions (including my own!) are no substitute for 'the real thing' as their expectations and desires may be different to your own.

A (minimum) 6 month commitment to a place in which you are not happy could prove particularly expensive, in more ways than one.

Brisbane Northside is not awash with short-term accomodation suitable for young families, as we found out when we visited in December last year.

For what it's worth, we are going to be faced with the same dilemma as yourself when we arrive in June but are inclined to take the 'hit' of a few weeks 'above average' accomodation costs with the consolation that we will be settled and have a base for those vitally important first few weeks while we get settled into work and the kids get settled into school. During that time we plan to identify and secure a long-term rental prior to, perhaps, buying a place of our own.

Have a great trip and I hope you settle in soon

Cheers

Donna&Neil Mar 13th 2007 5:49 pm

Hi yeah we are currently thinking along the same lines. A few weeks in something short term and furnished to allow us the time to find a longer term house. We had liked the look of Brisbanebound however are struggling to get vacancies to suit our dates.
Will keep searching and post anything I find of interest. What I have seen is pricey.

Donna

emmyjc1 Mar 13th 2007 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Donna&Neil (Post 4514145)
Hi yeah we are currently thinking along the same lines. A few weeks in something short term and furnished to allow us the time to find a longer term house. We had liked the look of Brisbanebound however are struggling to get vacancies to suit our dates.
Will keep searching and post anything I find of interest. What I have seen is pricey.

Donna

Hi you might like to have a look on our website www.goldcoastarrivals.com we might be able to help you out there is contact us section if you wish to send dates etc
Thanks
Emma

Donna&Neil Mar 13th 2007 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by emmyjc1 (Post 4514395)
Hi you might like to have a look on our website www.goldcoastarrivals.com we might be able to help you out there is contact us section if you wish to send dates etc
Thanks
Emma

Hi many thanks, will have a look at it. Much appreciated. :)

Donna

kellyjs Mar 13th 2007 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Theweekshousehold (Post 4514014)
have you got any details on this place

Try the following link, some properties are rented month by month
http://www.seqrents.com.au/

ridds Mar 14th 2007 3:30 am

Other sites to try (haven't used them but they may give you some other options) are:

www.rent-a-home.com.au/
www.brisbane.stays.com.au/
www.ourbrisbane.com
www.apartmentsplus.com.au

Depending on your arrival dates, we'd be happy to give you a hand showing you around brisvegas :)

HTH

themerlin Mar 14th 2007 3:40 am

I know someone who does a meet and greet service, it's a charity so won't rip you off, charged about $330 last time, not like some of the rip off's out there!

PM me if you want there details.

Originally Posted by Theweekshousehold (Post 4506356)
Hi

themerlin Mar 14th 2007 3:43 am

I'm sure there are a few people who would like to show your round there suburb :)

Originally Posted by ridds (Post 4516331)
Depending on your arrival dates, we'd be happy to give you a hand showing you around brisvegas :)