Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Meds question- contact lenses

Meds question- contact lenses

Old Mar 27th 2004, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Meds question- contact lenses

Hiya guys
Just having a last minute freak out...
Blim wears contact lenses, but has mislaid his glasses. The panel doctor's receptionist told me that he would have to remove his contacts the night before (I think!). Does he need glasses for the test, or can he just put his contact lenses in when they come to do the corrected sight test?
Thanks guys.... fingers crossed for a quick response as we have the meds on Friday! :scared:
Old Mar 27th 2004, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hi Larissa,

if you are using the doc in chichester dont fret.......I took my glasses but he asked me to cup my hand over my eyes to read the chart.....he didnt even ask me to put my glasses on......did mumble something about cant quite see why I had glasses!
Other than that, the werent used.
Old Mar 27th 2004, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

DawnBlayney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meds question- contact lenses

Does he need glasses for the test, or can he just put his contact lenses in when they come to do the corrected sight test?

Hi Larissa,
Don't worry! I hadn't been advised anything about even needing to take my contact lenses out - and didn't have my glasses with me - or lens case, they test eyesight corrected & uncorrected - so as long as he brings his lens case!!
I didn't have to leave my lenses out from night befoe - but as you say best plan is to go without them, and then put them in for corrected test!
Course if he can find his glasses I'd bring them, but it only says on medical form corrected & uncorrected - so all should be well - good luck!
Dawn
Old Mar 27th 2004, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys
He has managed to get a quick appointment at Specsavers today and is planning on getting a cheap pair, since he's lost his glasses for ages now. Looks like he may not need to rush to get them sorted though...
Bloomin 'ek... its getting complicated now.... work to finish house renovations, I'm going through the loft, getting ready for the meds... how's it gonna be when we get the visas? :scared:
Old Mar 28th 2004, 2:10 pm
Badge

I've been known to punch a hole in a London travel card and look thorugh that - focuses things up enough to be able to read letters and stuff.

My eyesight is moderately short, bad, but not as in walk in to lampposts bad. -3.00 in each eye. Been the same since I was in my mid 20s.

lol

BM

Old Mar 28th 2004, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

when we did the test they just told you (on the front of the form) to make sure u wear your contacts) and you do the reading test the normal way, no need to remove or anything..... if u are worried take your glasses. If you have corrective lenses they cant fail ur medical on that!!!!
Old Mar 28th 2004, 2:46 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Meds question- contact lenses

Hi Larissa,

I think He'd have to be blind to fail the test, try asking the doctor.

Oh well if he's having a set of glasses made today he should be ok. I've never had a problem putting my leses in or out, just a matter of practice & alot of sticking my fingers in my eyes.

Bye
Mark
Old Mar 28th 2004, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hmmmmmmm can't for the life of me work out why the receptionist made such a fuss. Well, will keep you all posted, incase anyone else is due a med in Chichester and wants the details.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

welshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to all

I had my medical Feb 2003 in Cardiff. Dr never even asked if I wore glasses or contacts - had my contacts in so he wouldn't have been able to tell. To top if off, my other half and I were in the one room taking it in turns to have all bits checked - thought it was a bit weird he didn't see us one at a time - and he did his sight test first (he has perfect eye sight) and so I just listened to what he said and repeated it when it came to my turn!!
No major worries during the medical or x-rays until we got the call from the Dr to say they had found old T B scarring on other halfs chest x-ray. Anyway after initial panic it all turned out well and here we are 10 months into our Oz adventure.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Larissa,

I took my glasses with me (as dont need them all the time), doctor didnt even ask me to put them on. Just had to read the letter chart he had on the wall, very laid back doctor.Couldnt imagine him moving very fast, even in an air raid!!!

You will be ok, I was cacking myself, and for the life of me dont know why!!
Old Mar 29th 2004, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

buglegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Larissa
Thanks guys
He has managed to get a quick appointment at Specsavers today and is planning on getting a cheap pair, since he's lost his glasses for ages now. Looks like he may not need to rush to get them sorted though...
Bloomin 'ek... its getting complicated now.... work to finish house renovations, I'm going through the loft, getting ready for the meds... how's it gonna be when we get the visas? :scared:

Hi
I went with mu contacts in but had my glasses with me. I also took a recent prescription on a specsavers card and he said he wouldnt even test me cos that was good enough
BG