Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medicines allowed by Customs

Medicines allowed by Customs

Old Jul 31st 2002, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

gunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the rough
Default Medicines allowed by Customs

Hi all,
I feel we as new immigrants or about to be immigrants are quite apprehensive about the way the system works in a new country. This forum really helps remove quite a bit of apprehensions and doubts.

I am immigrating to Oz in the near future. I want to take routine medicines with me like antibiotics, pain killers, anti allergics, anti-asthmatics and blood pressure pills, and stuff like that. Would I be troubled by the customs/immigration people.
We are a family of 4. So incase I take a few courses of antibiotic pills the bulk looks alarming and I feel that the customs people might think that I am dealing in selling medicines or stuff like that….
Someone please guide.
Thanks

Gunitm
Old Jul 31st 2002, 10:21 am
Jaj

Default Re: Medicines allowed by Customs

You probably wouldn't have any issues with routine medication, but you could always
get a letter from your doctor and carry it with you.

The other thing is, if in doubt at customs, declare it. The worst that can happen
then is the medication gets confiscated, but if it's routine stuff, you should be ok.

Jeremy

>On 31 Jul 2002 02:20:36 GMT, gunitm <[email protected]> wrote: Hi all, I feel
    >we as new immigrants or about to be immigrants are quite apprehensive about the way
    >the system works in a new country. This forum really helps remove quite a bit of
    >apprehensions and doubts.
    >
    >I am immigrating to Oz in the near future. I want to take routine medicines with me
    >like antibiotics, pain killers, anti allergics, anti-asthmatics and blood pressure
    >pills, and stuff like that. Would I be troubled by the customs/immigration people.
    >We are a family of 4. So incase I take a few courses of antibiotic pills the bulk
    >looks alarming and I feel that the customs people might think that I am dealing in
    >selling medicines or stuff like that…. Someone please guide. Thanks
    >
    >Gunitm
    >
    >
    >
    >--

Old Jul 31st 2002, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

gunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the rough

thanks pal.
gunit
Old Jul 31st 2002, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point

hi shaun and myself went to oz early this year. i took my med and so did shaun. it was alot of tablets as we stayed for 7 weeks. the tablet bottles showed up in one of their x- ray machines and we were asked to show them. but after a few questions we were left to go on. hope this helps Lor
Old Aug 1st 2002, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Thanks pal,
But you had just a bottle.
I might be carrying much more.
Well lets see the way the things work out.
Thanks for the help
gunit
Old Aug 1st 2002, 4:22 am
Cath

On 31 Jul 2002 02:20:36 GMT, gunitm <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi all, I feel we as new immigrants or about to be immigrants are quite apprehensive
    >about the way the system works in a new country. This forum really helps remove
    >quite a bit of apprehensions and doubts.
    >
    >I am immigrating to Oz in the near future. I want to take routine medicines with me
    >like antibiotics, pain killers, anti allergics, anti-asthmatics and blood pressure
    >pills, and stuff like that. Would I be troubled by the customs/immigration people.
    >We are a family of 4. So incase I take a few courses of antibiotic pills the bulk
    >looks alarming and I feel that the customs people might think that I am dealing in
    >selling medicines or stuff like that…. Someone please guide. Thanks
    >
    >Gunitm
    >
It is wise to take a supply with you but only if you are dependant on prescription
meds such as anything you take on a daily basis or need for an asthma attack.

As for antibiotics, unless you are prescribed them for a condition at the time of
flying, forget them. Don't self diagnose yourself that you may need them after
your arrival.

If it's prescribed meds from your doctor, there is usually no problem however be
aware that there are often limits of how much of each drug you can take in.

Painkillers - there is no harm in taking a small bottle of OTC with you. However if
they are opiate based, chances are you will need to have a Customs clearance to take
them in. Perhaps someone could post a link to the appropriate Customs/Health Dept
where further enquiries could be made.

Prior to going to NZ, I had to contact the appropriate Govt dept who advised me what
I would need Customs clearance for. The balance of my meds were ok even though some
were not available in NZ, however I packed the email re this in with them.

They assisted me in obtaining the Customs approval letter - my doctor did have to fax
them some documentation first. Customs required to know what flight I was arriving on
and had to declare them upon arrival.

Cath

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 1:21 am
Hills

shaun/lor wrote:

> hi shaun and myself went to oz early this year. i took my med and so did shaun. it
    > was alot of tablets as we stayed for 7 weeks. the tablet bottles showed up in one
    > of their x- ray machines and we were asked to show them. but after a few questions
    > we were left to go on. hope this helps Lor
    >
    > --

Customs are usually reasonable. If your visa is short term, your return tickets show
a 2month stay, and you are carrying medicine of a reasonable amount for a 2 month
stay (based on the dosages written on the pills), then that's fine.

If you are carrying enough medications to last one person for 2 years, and you are
supposed to be on holiday - they may get suspicious.

If you are migrating, then it would be reasonable to carry enough medications to last
you through until you find local doctors, etc.

Huge amounts = intention to sell. (although, I have heard that there's more of a
problem with Australians *exporting* large quantities of medicines, bought at
government subsidised rates in Australia, then taken to the relatives in other
countries!)

Also, there are restricted drugs- bring documentation if you are taking them by
prescription (steroids, amphetamines, stuff like that).

Herbal medicines will often be investigated to check for contents, and for bugs in
plant material. LJ